Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Taiwan Trident Maple?

+14
Neli
kayamooney
Gary Swiech
roberthu526
drgonzo
hibonsai
RKatzin
jrodriguez
bonsaisr
William N. Valavanis
Bruce Winter
JimLewis
Rob Kempinski
reg-i
18 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Taiwan Trident Maple? Empty Taiwan Trident Maple?

Post  reg-i Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:56 pm

I live in zone 10 and its not the best climate for maples I can grow regular tridents but they do get a little crisp in the summer now I found these Taiwan tridents that are supposed to be much hardier I could not find them anywhere in the States I had to get them from a guy in the same zone as me in Australia what i'm wondering is there anyone with experience with this maple and can I please see some pictures seeing that theres not much on the web. Right know I have like 20 seedlings
Taiwan Trident Maple? Maples027
reg-i
reg-i

Back to top Go down

Taiwan Trident Maple? Empty Re: Taiwan Trident Maple?

Post  Rob Kempinski Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:08 pm

I am north of you in Florida and have no luck at all with Trident Maples. It seems my garden's microclimate is just too hot.
Good luck with the Taiwanese Trident - keep in mind the tridents in Taiwan usually grow at high altitudes. Not many mountains near Stuart that I know of. Wink
Rob Kempinski
Rob Kempinski

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:20 pm

I can't help with tridents in South Florida, but you need to realize that those little trees are severely chlorotic and are unlikely to survive unless they get some micronutrients -- at least Iron or Magnesium, or both.

I'm told that Tridents don't like salt spray so if you live on the Atlantic side of Stuart that could be a problem.

It's always frustrating when you want (and try) to grow plants that simply do not grow well where you live. Iris calls it "Zone envy."

JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  reg-i Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:38 pm

im going out right now but when I get back i'll post some pics of my common tridents they grow like weeds for me some of them look better then some of my rubrums also there is something I use to spry on the leaves i'll post it when I get back
reg-i
reg-i

Back to top Go down

Post  reg-i Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:39 pm

thats an old pic there better now
reg-i
reg-i

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:00 pm

Taiwan Trident Maple or commonly known as Miyasama Maple in Japan is a very sought after Trident species in Japan. My understanding is that Miyasama is more heat tolerant than the regular Trident. Do a google search on "Taiwan Trident, USDA zone" and you will get some useful info. on how tolerant it is.

Miyasama is definitely hard to find in the US, and supposedly makes and excellent bonsai. I haven't seen many pictures of it though. I have a 7 year old plant in training.

- S

Back to top Go down

Post  Bruce Winter Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:34 pm

acer ssp buergerianum formosanum
http://tinyurl.com/3dxblk7

Bruce Winter

Back to top Go down

Post  William N. Valavanis Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:45 pm

The leaves look like Amur maple, Acer ginnala, not Trident maple.

The Miyasama trident maple has leaves much thicker and leathery than the common Trident maple.

Bill
William N. Valavanis
William N. Valavanis

Back to top Go down

Taiwan Trident Maple? Empty Taiwan Tridents

Post  bonsaisr Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:18 am

JimLewis wrote: Iris calls it "Zone envy."
Rob Kempinski coined the term. I just suffer loudly from it. Mad
Iris
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Taiwan Trident Maple? Empty Taiwan Tridents

Post  bonsaisr Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:33 am

Acer buergerianum subsp. formosanum is not an accepted name. It is just Acer buergerianum. It is very common to have a plant population with horticultural significance, but with no special botanical name because it has no taxonomic significance.
I agree with Bill that your seedlings look more like Acer tataricum subsp. ginnala than A. buergerianum. Amur maple is prone to chlorosis, in my experience. Grow them up & see how they turn out.
Iris
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Post  jrodriguez Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:41 am

Well, I have both Acer buergeranium, var. Formosana and another type that is heat tolerant called Acer buergeranium, var. Ningpoense. Both look alike, with leaves similar to a duck's foot and unlike the seedlings you show us. Both the trees I mentioned have flat leaves, which are sough after in trident bonsai.

In my habitat, protection from the heat is a must. They go dormant in late November and wake up in mid April. The red flush of leaves is quite beautiful.

Kind regards,

Jose luis
jrodriguez
jrodriguez

Back to top Go down

Post  reg-i Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:45 am

they are taiwan tridents I noticed some variation with the seedlings though and the flash made the leaves look more yellow then they are I will take some more pics to clear this up
reg-i
reg-i

Back to top Go down

Post  reg-i Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:09 am

come on guys give me a break there still little seedlings there starting to get the leathery look now the leaves are definitely thicker
Taiwan Trident Maple? Ttridents005
Taiwan Trident Maple? Ttridents004
Taiwan Trident Maple? Ttridents001
Taiwan Trident Maple? Ttridents007
reg-i
reg-i

Back to top Go down

Post  reg-i Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:17 am

jrodriguez wrote:Well, I have both Acer buergeranium, var. Formosana and another type that is heat tolerant called Acer buergeranium, var. Ningpoense. Both look alike, with leaves similar to a duck's foot and unlike the seedlings you show us. Both the trees I mentioned have flat leaves, which are sough after in trident bonsai.

In my habitat, protection from the heat is a must. They go dormant in late November and wake up in mid April. The red flush of leaves is quite beautiful.

Kind regards,

Jose luis
I'm interested in this Acer buergeranium, var. Ningpoense I would love to see a picture I noticed the dormancy in my other tridents going longer then the other deciduous trees I have this year like you mentioned so I should probably wait a little longer to work on them this coming year thanks for the insight now where do I get a ningpoense bounce
reg-i
reg-i

Back to top Go down

Post  RKatzin Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:55 am

Here's a pic of a Trident 'Ningpoense' from ForestFarm.com. This one gallon size is between 2'-3' and costs $35US plus your shipping. Fair warning: you're going to find a whole lot of stuff in their catalog you're going to want! Taiwan Trident Maple? New_ga10
RKatzin
RKatzin

Back to top Go down

Post  hibonsai Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:33 am

I live in zone 10 and would be interested. Where did you get them from? Did you buy seeds?

hibonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Sep 17, 2011 5:01 pm

RKatzin wrote:Here's a pic of a Trident 'Ningpoense' from ForestFarm.com. This one gallon size is between 2'-3' and costs $35US plus your shipping. Fair warning: you're going to find a whole lot of stuff in their catalog you're going to want! ]

RKatzin,

You really shouldn't have posted the 'forestfarm' site... I ended ordering a 1 gallon Kotobuki JBP. Can you believe that i am actually trying to down-size my collection at the same time ordering a Kotobuki. Now I have to think what tree I will get rid of to make space on my benches. Thanks anyway... Smile

- S

Back to top Go down

Post  drgonzo Sat Sep 17, 2011 5:26 pm

311 different kinds of maple alone! Forest farm just got a bookmark from me! WOW
drgonzo
drgonzo

Back to top Go down

Post  RKatzin Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:25 am

Would you believe that place is 20 miles from my house?! Sorry, but I can not be responsible for anyone who opens their catalog. I did warn you! LOL!
RKatzin
RKatzin

Back to top Go down

Post  roberthu526 Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:37 pm

I just bought some seeds over ebay. Any suggestions on the germination process?
roberthu526
roberthu526

Back to top Go down

Post  Gary Swiech Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:07 pm

I've been dealing with Forest Farm Nursery for about 8 years now. Check out Ulmus Parvifolia "Allee". A beautiful tree. I planted 2 in the ground and one in a pot 2 years ago.

Forest Farm has a very good selection of plants.

I think that tree is Acer buergeranium, var. Formosana

It's not Acer ginnala, the leaves look way to thick.

Last edited by Gary Swiech on Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:08 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : post title)
Gary Swiech
Gary Swiech

Back to top Go down

Post  kayamooney Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:56 pm

Wish I would have found this thread a while ago, this guy lives in my town and I've been desperately looking for maples other than A. Rubrum I can grow in my area.

kayamooney

Back to top Go down

Post  Neli Sat Jun 21, 2014 11:10 am

So from your experience, Which are the tridents best suited for hot climate?
Neli
Neli

Back to top Go down

Post  brett2013 Mon Jun 23, 2014 5:20 am

reg-i wrote:come on guys give me a break there still little seedlings there starting to get the leathery look now the leaves are definitely thicker
Taiwan Trident Maple? Ttridents005
Taiwan Trident Maple? Ttridents004
Taiwan Trident Maple? Ttridents001
Taiwan Trident Maple? Ttridents007

Looks like getting more fertilizer than needed ?

I've tried growing baby maples in my very hot humid climate, not very encouraging. however, adult trident maples are doing so well.

brett2013

Back to top Go down

Post  Neli Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:04 am

This might be of some help to you:
If a tree is grown from seedling, bending /wiring the trunk while it is very small should be considered also. That is what the Japanese do to their trees and use sacrifice branches to fatten after that.
Chopping a tree when You want to heal the wound fast can be done with the wedge method...half way chopping/carving it and leaving the top portion to grow. It results in faster healing and additional growth to the lower section, while developing the second section of the trunk.
Just something to consider in this case.
2013-06-25
Taiwan Trident Maple? 1959222_10201172787913831_1594102625_n
I sent my cook to bring one from outside...it is going in the ground soon. It is one year old seedling.
Taiwan Trident Maple? 1545156_10200898084686422_310272612_n
Taiwan Trident Maple? 1798817_10201136742172710_818561748_n
Taiwan Trident Maple? 1794701_10201136742692723_860594880_n
Taiwan Trident Maple? 1794701_10201136742692723_860594880_n
Taiwan Trident Maple? 1546351_10201136744772775_1501861975_n
This is how the wedge method works...You carve the blue part ones the trunk has reached the desired thickness, and let it grow so the red line heals.
Taiwan Trident Maple? 1912357_10201136805774300_519703841_n
Remember I am in Africa...
Neli
Neli

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next