Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nerifolia in new pot

+27
hiram
rock
John Quinn
Rob Addonizio
gm.it.seacom
Budi Sulistyo
hibonsai
Klaudia & Martin
Rob Kempinski
bobby little
leonardo
Russell Coker
Rick Moquin
Velodog2
Dale Cochoy
Dustin Mann
jrodriguez
TpaBayFlyFisher
Nik Rozman
cosmos
Tom Simonyi
Justin Hervey
Hans Vleugels
redvw5
Michael DeCan
Jerry Meislik
Ed Trout
31 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Nerifolia in new pot - Page 3 Empty Re: Nerifolia in new pot

Post  Ed Trout Sun Aug 23, 2009 3:08 pm

OK, here is the pot I chose. It is slightly larger than the previous pot, but much shallower. I saw a lot of suggestions for pots, especially from Dale & Rob, that had this same color scheme. I think it goes pretty good, but my mind is still open to something better if it comes along. The tree right now is in it's immature leaf stage, and is hard to keep neat. When these leaves harden off, then I will begin pinching the tips back to a better shape. I also believe an oval pot suits this style better, since there are no hard lines in the overall shape of the tree.

Ed Trout Pembroke Pines, Nerifolia in new pot - Page 3 Ficusp10

Ed Trout

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Meislik Sun Aug 23, 2009 5:52 pm

Ed,
I like it!
Good work.
Jerry
www.bonsaihunk.us
Jerry Meislik
Jerry Meislik

Back to top Go down

Post  Velodog2 Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:15 pm

Lol, by far the best pot I have seen it in! And to think it was the one it came out of!

Velodog2

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Addonizio Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:20 pm

Good choice IMHO. The color works well with the foliage and trunk. I agree with your choice of an oval too. It is shallow enough to help the nebari (not that it needs any help mind you Razz ), and the purse profile is classical enough to balance the lovely progression of branches.

Great thread, great tree!
Rob Addonizio
Rob Addonizio

Back to top Go down

Post  hibonsai Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:40 am

I really like the pot you've selected, excellent choice.

Mike

hibonsai

Back to top Go down

Nerifolia in new pot - Page 3 Empty Soil mix for Ficus nerifolia

Post  cosmos Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:38 am

Hi Ed,
This thread really is great. It shows that the 'marriage' of the pot and tree can someimes be a headache. I sincerely hope that the 'marriage' of the pot you chose (and I agree with you) lasts for ever.

One question that I already asked and was not answered is 'what type of mix do you use?'
Thanks again
Cosmos
cosmos
cosmos

Back to top Go down

Post  Ed Trout Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:10 pm

Cosmos,

I have tried many soil mixes over the years and have found that most of my tropicals ( ie; ficus, buttonwood, bucida, etc ) do better in a traditional bonsai mix ( equal parts haydite, red clay or lava rock,and pine bark ) combined 50/50 with a good quality potting soil ( I use Miracle Grow potting soil ). My garden is exposed to a constant breeze, and during most of the year a full sun. I believe that the sand & loam in the potting mix keeps my trees from drying out to quickly. But then again bonsai soils are like key lime pie.....everybody's got a better recipie.

Ed Trout

Ed Trout

Back to top Go down

Post  OscarIndigo Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:36 pm

AMAZING TREE!!!!!! GREAT JOB MAN!!!! cheers cheers thumbs up thumbs up

OscarIndigo

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Meislik Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:37 pm

Ed,
Great pot choice. That is why you are the MASTER!
Jerry
Jerry Meislik
Jerry Meislik

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Ellwood Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:48 am

This tree is one of the reasons I decided to try a willow leaf ficus my only tropical tree I have . It is fantastic no matter what pot it is in .I see the pot as a minor tweak to this magnificent tree!!!

Seth Ellwood

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom Simonyi Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:04 pm

Ed....I personally like the pot, but in addition I draw such inspiration every time I view this tree....I am in agreement with Jerry, but I think he has the wrong state....I was thinking it would do well in West Virginia Very Happy

Best regards,
Tom
Tom Simonyi
Tom Simonyi

Back to top Go down

Post  Ed Trout Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:36 pm

Tom, Seth, Jerry, and Oscar, and all,

Thank you for the kind words. I am honored that you like my work. And this tree has been inspiring to me also. My teacher, Joe Samuels, never got a chance to see this one, and it is he who inspired me to create it. But I believe he has had a hand in it anyway ! I leaf pruned it today, and am trying to create more layers to add better depth to the overall canopy. This is a recommendation by Robert Steven in a critique at our Bonsai Societies of Florida Convention a couple of weeks ago. Although some may consider me a teacher of bonsai at this time, I still consider myself a student, and gratefully accept advice from everyone. That is how we learn, and that is how we grow !! I will try to post photos as The Journey continues.

Ed

Ed Trout

Back to top Go down

Post  Dustin Mann Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:28 am

Ed, Words of wisdom from you. You keep learning(from Stevens). We all learn by listening to others and by our own mistakes. You and that fig are inspiration to me to try and copy it and become better student. Got to get you back up here to my house again as goal. Dustin

Dustin Mann

Back to top Go down

Post  zooloo10 Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:27 am

i agree that tan shallow pot is much more pleasing with the tree shown, it works well with the leaf color and bark color. i LOVE IT affraid ThumbsUp

zooloo10

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3