Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Japanese Red Pine

+18
Dan W.
roberthu526
MikeG
JudyB
-keith-
tmmason10
Leo Schordje
jason_mazzy
Rob C
Velodog2
mikebonsai
Sakaki
abcd
Ryan B
GašperG
Fore
dick benbow
Dave Murphy
22 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Japanese Red Pine - Page 2 Empty Re: Japanese Red Pine

Post  -keith- Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:22 pm

I am loving the new front... great tree...to me it looks like an old slanted trunk tree ( the base and nebari) that has died back and regrown  upright. to me it really adds age to its appearance. I would suggest a little movement in the beginning cascade branch it stuck out like a sore thumb to me with all the other bendy branches. Smile im jealous

Last edited by -keith- on Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:27 pm; edited 2 times in total
-keith-
-keith-

Back to top Go down

Post  JudyB Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:22 pm

Very nice in the new pot, great choice. Really quite a nice progression.

JudyB

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave Murphy Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:10 am

Thanks, everyone. This is one of my favorite trees, and I'm quite pleased with its development.

Keith, I agree with that branch being a bit too straight. The branch may be too thick to bend but I'll investigate, and I hope part of the branch will eventually be hidden by the canopy which might soften it somewhat.

Dave Murphy

Back to top Go down

Post  MikeG Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:09 am

I really like this tree. It would be one of my faves too if it was mine. ;-) First time I've seen this post and I'm glad you kept that cascading branch, although I do agree it needs some movement. At first I wasn't sure about your decision to turn the tree, losing the nebari it has on that side, but I remembered how limiting 2d is. 3d makes a huge difference. Look forward to seeing its future development.

Thanks, Mike
MikeG
MikeG

Back to top Go down

Post  -keith- Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:25 am

bar and fulcrum... u can bend bigger branches with this technique. I cant tell how thick this branch is but it can also be split to aid in bending.

Japanese Red Pine - Page 2 Rp_ver10

ha ha the things we do to make a tree perfect
-keith-
-keith-

Back to top Go down

Post  dick benbow Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:13 pm

It wss my priviledge to have stidues two years with Kyoshi Seike. I was his student in the art of building japanese gardens many decades ago. It influences me in my bonsai application, even today.
red pines are feminine. With soft needles and soft lines. The bonsai person in me struggles to want angular movement in the trunk
of any pine. I'm happy with the use of a round pot, directing attention away from any masculine type display. A rounded crown will help give this beauty a softer impression. I have two red pines in my collection. a literati and semi cascade. I love aka matsue.
so much that I raised the eyebrows of my sensae when he inspected the japanese garden that I built after his tutiledge. For i had used the same number of red and black pines negating any sense of whether the garden was masculine or feminine.
dick benbow
dick benbow

Back to top Go down

Post  roberthu526 Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:44 pm

Absolutely agree. It would be missing alot if the falling branch was not there.

mikebonsai wrote:The tree will look like it's missing something without the falling branch. Good job so far.

Mike
roberthu526
roberthu526

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave Murphy Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:04 pm

Thanks for the comments.  Here is the latest...I think we're getting somewhere....and I'm keeping the branch Very Happy .

Japanese Red Pine - Page 2 Dsc_0014

Dave Murphy

Back to top Go down

Post  Dan W. Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:10 am

Looking great Dave! I think it's about ready for you to send it my way.... Wink

I like what you did with the top; it looked a bit out of place before to my eye. And I'm REALLY glad you kept the branch! That is much of what makes this tree so great. Great work! Smile
Dan W.
Dan W.

Back to top Go down

Post  Russell Coker Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:07 pm

Dave Murphy wrote:....and I'm keeping the branch Very Happy .

Thank you Jesus!

Looking good, Dave!!

R
Russell Coker
Russell Coker

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave Murphy Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:58 pm

Thanks guys. I'm quite happy with the tree's appearance at the moment. It's amazing how a bit of wiring and a few years growth can change things Very Happy .

Dave Murphy

Back to top Go down

Post  arihato Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:31 pm

I like the tree, great needle size and colour, and I am so glad you are keeping the branch. Might I suggest to take the branch a tiny bit more to the outside so it is a bit wider than the branch above it. Or tuck the branch above it a bit more in..............
arihato
arihato

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave Murphy Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:55 am

arihato wrote:I like the tree, great needle size and colour, and I am so glad you are keeping the branch. Might I suggest to take the branch a tiny bit more to the outside so it is a bit wider than the branch above it. Or tuck the branch above it a bit more in..............
Thank you for your comments. I do plan on making the lowest branch become a bit larger and heavier, so it will eventually extend more to the left...but just a little Wink .

Dave Murphy

Back to top Go down

Post  peter keane Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:38 pm

just a thought.  

Japanese Red Pine - Page 2 Redpin10
peter keane
peter keane

Back to top Go down

Post  Nomiyama Bonsai Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:12 am

The pine is looking very healthy Dave, I like what you have done with it. Keep up the good work.

Chris

Nomiyama Bonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2