Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Japanese Red Pine

+18
Dan W.
roberthu526
MikeG
JudyB
-keith-
tmmason10
Leo Schordje
jason_mazzy
Rob C
Velodog2
mikebonsai
Sakaki
abcd
Ryan B
GašperG
Fore
dick benbow
Dave Murphy
22 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Japanese Red Pine Empty Japanese Red Pine

Post  Dave Murphy Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:29 pm

I've had this tree for 6 years. I wish I had a picture of the tree when I acquired it. Other then a very nice trunk, the tree was really quite ugly. with all the foliage found at the ends of 4 ramrod straight branches. The initial styling involved building the canopy from 2 branches (after putting some severe bends into them) and jinning the remaining two. Here is a picture from a year after the initial styling.Japanese Red Pine 2009_114

Dave Murphy

Back to top Go down

Japanese Red Pine Empty Re: Japanese Red Pine

Post  Dave Murphy Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:42 pm

Here is a picture of the tree two years ago. The canopy is filling in nicely, but I'm not too sure about the benefit of the cascading branch to the overall design.
Japanese Red Pine Dscf0610

Dave Murphy

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave Murphy Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:46 pm

Here is the tree a year ago. The canopy is developing nicely, but there is still something about the design that is bothering me.
Japanese Red Pine Dscf0921

Dave Murphy

Back to top Go down

Japanese Red Pine Empty New front

Post  Dave Murphy Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:58 pm

Well, this is the tree today. I think this is definite improvement on the old design. I do feel the nebari from the original front, with that nice deadwood and spread, was very nice, but the overall movement of the trunk more then makes up for it. Similarly, that ungainly cascading branch seems to fit into this style in more convincing fashion. Comments are always welcome. Thanks for looking.
Japanese Red Pine Dscf1210

Dave Murphy

Back to top Go down

Post  dick benbow Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:42 pm

I'm a big fan of AKA Matsu, because you just don't find many of them in bonsai form. There is just ONE up at the pacific rim bonsai display. I have two started from seed and nothing I'd photo and post here. I do think th needle length has improved over the time you've had it and you've got a very nice tree coming.

When i studied with Kyoshi Seke to learn japanese garden design, Part of my education was keeping his garden pruned. a masculine garden, I mostly worked on JBP but always appreciated the soft red as something more refined to work with and less abusive on the hands and arms.

Keep up the good work! Smile
dick benbow
dick benbow

Back to top Go down

Post  Fore Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:44 pm

I like the new front despite the nebari...agree, trunk movement much nicer Dave. Also like the branch hanging down. Very nice material and styling!
Fore
Fore

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave Murphy Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:08 pm

Thanks, guys, I'm glad you like the tree and new front. And yes, I'm glad I didn't cut that branch the other day...I grow more fond of it with each passing day.

Dave Murphy

Back to top Go down

Post  GašperG Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:03 pm

I don't know Dave, for me it's kind of hard to tell if like one or the other front better. Please, it is not just because, I wanted to post before but i could not find the right words. I agree you are doing a very good job. Smile

Since there have not been many drastic changes made to the tree you still have all the options.

Keeping the cascading branch is a must in my book. So...the trunk line is nicer on the second front...yes...cascading branch fits better in the composition- to me very much the same. Shaping of the canopy is tidier but could be achived for either side...and than the more appealing base on the first front....

Am I missing something here. Again, not trying to degrade your work, I LOVE the look(s) of the tree and appreciate the detailed work you have put in...you know, to me (just one of the people here) is debatable.

Thank you for showing the tree, it is very nice. cheers

Gašper
GašperG
GašperG

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave Murphy Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:20 pm

Gasper, thanks for your post. Each front, in my estimation, presents the viewer with quite different stories and emotions. The original front, with it's full canopy, broad nebari, and relatively simple trunkline, gives me the impression of stability and vigor. There is nothing wrong with this front, but it seems a bit boring. The new front, with it's reduced canopy, greater trunk movement and flow to the tree as a whole seems to create much more tension and excitement. At least, that's how it makes me feel.

Dave Murphy

Back to top Go down

Post  GašperG Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:58 pm

Dave Murphy wrote: Each front, in my estimation, presents the viewer with quite different stories and emotions. The original front, with it's full canopy, broad nebari, and relatively simple trunkline, gives me the impression of stability and vigor. There is nothing wrong with this front, but it seems a bit boring. .... At least, that's how it makes me feel.

Thank you for a very understandable explanation of your vision... and I have thought about a long term effect of your choice... ....but boring Sad
how does that make me feel Laughing
GašperG
GašperG

Back to top Go down

Post  Ryan B Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:42 am

I think there seems to be a bit too much foliage for the size of the trunk. You have a crown here that's around 10 times the diameter of the trunk at first branch. I see something more femine and literati in there, with
A serious cutback and reduction of the number of branches and foliage mass. In this case, the "pocket", interior curve branch would be a great feature, and not unnatural.

Ryan B

Back to top Go down

Japanese Red Pine Empty virtual tree

Post  abcd Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:20 am

[img]Japanese Red Pine Dscf1210[/img]
abcd
abcd

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave Murphy Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:37 pm

Ryan B wrote:I think there seems to be a bit too much foliage for the size of the trunk. You have a crown here that's around 10 times the diameter of the trunk at first branch. I see something more femine and literati in there, with
A serious cutback and reduction of the number of branches and foliage mass. In this case, the "pocket", interior curve branch would be a great feature, and not unnatural.

Ryan, thanks for the post. I agree with your assessment of the trunk and canopy...my goal is to create a much lighter canopy that highlights the trunk with its' nice bark and movement. A few things I've considered here. When I restyled the tree last month, I removed maybe 50% of the foliage and I'd be reluctant to remove more at this point. This tree has grown well in the south SO FAR...its' health is paramount to me so I will be very judicious with any aggressive pruning or bending. Also, the needles are a bit overlong and messy in their appearance. I'm hoping smaller needles will help to tighten up the canopy and reduce its' overall weight in the image.

Dave Murphy

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave Murphy Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:41 pm

abcd wrote:[img]Japanese Red Pine Dscf1210[/img]

Than you for taking the time to create this virtual. I think it represents a very good option for this tree. Still, I really like the falling branch and will keep it for now.

Last edited by Dave Murphy on Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:45 pm; edited 1 time in total

Dave Murphy

Back to top Go down

Post  Sakaki Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:42 pm

Dave Murphy wrote:Still, I really like the falling branch will keep it for now.

I agree ThumbsUp
Sakaki
Sakaki

Back to top Go down

Post  mikebonsai Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:46 pm

The tree will look like it's missing something without the falling branch. Good job so far.

Mike

mikebonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  Velodog2 Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:55 pm

I'm not advocating for one way or the other, but without the big falling branch the next branch further up could be brought down in a similar fashion for a similar effect. This branch might be a little more in scale with the rest of the tree and would define rather than disrupt the left hand negative space. The tree will be nice either way and it's a decision that can be put off for twenty or thirty more years! I'm just happy to see a Japanese red pine!

Velodog2

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:49 pm

i vote remover the brach on the inside curve. its usually never a good idea to have a branch on the inside curve it takes away from the movement of the trunk

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob C Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:01 pm

Great tree... as far as that main cascading branch, I like it. I actually like both versions, with it and without. However, it is not close enough to me liking it without it that I would remove it. I would take about 10-20 years to think about it. Very Happy

Rob

Rob C

Back to top Go down

Post  jason_mazzy Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:26 am

I vote you keep the branch.
jason_mazzy
jason_mazzy

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave Murphy Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:38 am

Thanks to all those who have responded recently. The branch is too important to lose, I've decided, and I have no plans to remove it at this point. The tree has been recently re-potted into a smaller, heavier oval that, I feel, fits the tree quite nicely. I'll be sure to post new pictures shortly.

Dave Murphy

Back to top Go down

Post  jason_mazzy Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:35 am

Update?
jason_mazzy
jason_mazzy

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave Murphy Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:30 pm

It continues to do well in North GA.  It was re-potted into a nice Bigei pot this spring (first picture), and decandled 5 weeks ago, and is currently pushing its second flush of candles.  I apologize for the poor quality pictures.
Japanese Red Pine Dscf1410
Japanese Red Pine Dscf1710

Dave Murphy

Back to top Go down

Post  Leo Schordje Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:20 pm

Really coming along nice. Just need a few years additional ramification to create foliage pads, and you will have a very nice tree.

Leo Schordje
Leo Schordje

Back to top Go down

Post  tmmason10 Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:20 pm

I love the movement on this one Dave. Looks really good.

tmmason10

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next