Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Root over rock/Clinging to rock- watering and inspection of planting made easy.

+6
Bob Pressler
marcus watts
Poink88
Carolee
yamasuri
lennard
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Root over rock/Clinging to rock- watering and inspection of planting made easy. - Page 2 Empty Update Ficus

Post  lennard Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:52 pm

The tree has grown very well this season and here is a pic December 2012:

Root over rock/Clinging to rock- watering and inspection of planting made easy. - Page 2 Decemb10

I actually forgot that I used a cable tie to pull the three trunks together for the planting and it has cut into the trunk:

Root over rock/Clinging to rock- watering and inspection of planting made easy. - Page 2 March_10

I removed the cable tie a few days ago. The wound will heal and I got some new roots going just above the cable tie wound. There are a lot of roots showing at the base.

Will wait till late spring before opening it.

Lennard

lennard
lennard

Back to top Go down

Root over rock/Clinging to rock- watering and inspection of planting made easy. - Page 2 Empty Re: Root over rock/Clinging to rock- watering and inspection of planting made easy.

Post  leatherback Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:14 pm

It almost looks like the cable-tie is completely covered by bark. WOuld leaving it in place not be better? The bark will eventually grow overit, won;t it?
leatherback
leatherback

Back to top Go down

Root over rock/Clinging to rock- watering and inspection of planting made easy. - Page 2 Empty Re: Root over rock/Clinging to rock- watering and inspection of planting made easy.

Post  lennard Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:46 am

leatherback wrote:It almost looks like the cable-tie is completely covered by bark. WOuld leaving it in place not be better? The bark will eventually grow overit, won;t it?

I was thinking of leaving it but at the end decided to remove it. The operation to remove it was not so difficult. Hurting the cambium when removing it will probably give me more roots, so no damage done.

Thanks for the reply.

Lennard
lennard
lennard

Back to top Go down

Post  Andre Beaurain Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:36 pm

Very very interesting Lennard!

The leaves of your ficus are an exceptionally green in colour....why?

Does it live in the shade?

Is that the chicken manure and Horse bedding?
Andre Beaurain
Andre Beaurain

Back to top Go down

Root over rock/Clinging to rock- watering and inspection of planting made easy. - Page 2 Empty Re: Root over rock...

Post  stonener Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:49 am

Did I miss it?
Forgive me for asking?
But what kind of ficus did you say this was?... Suspect
It sure looks like Pyracantha coccinea to me!
But I've been wrong before... Basketball

Root over rock/Clinging to rock- watering and inspection of planting made easy. - Page 2 Ficus11

just asking?

stonener

Back to top Go down

Post  Andre Beaurain Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:55 am

Its Ficus Nataleinsis..... I'm pretty sure.

Isn't it , Lennard?
Andre Beaurain
Andre Beaurain

Back to top Go down

Post  Andre Beaurain Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:05 am

......natalensis.........I better make sure about my spelling these days, I put my head on a block! hhihihihihihiih albino
Andre Beaurain
Andre Beaurain

Back to top Go down

Root over rock/Clinging to rock- watering and inspection of planting made easy. - Page 2 Empty Colour

Post  lennard Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:06 pm

Andre Beaurain wrote:Very very interesting Lennard!

The leaves of your ficus are an exceptionally green in colour....why?

Does it live in the shade?

Is that the chicken manure and Horse bedding?

The cuttings I used was given to me by Charles Ceronio and it is a variety of Ficus natalensis having red twigs when young and this darker leaves. The tree is also growing very fast - I keep the tree in full sun in a warm spot the whole day and I believe the "hothouse" around the roots and feeding it with Nitrosol adds to the lush growth.

Sadly there is no room for the chicken and horse bedding mulch.

Lennard
lennard
lennard

Back to top Go down

Root over rock/Clinging to rock- watering and inspection of planting made easy. - Page 2 Empty For those who are following the progression.

Post  lennard Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:28 pm

I have opened the planting today and I am very happy with the outcome:

http://lennardsbonsaibeginnings.blogspot.com/2012/10/experimental-root-over-rock-technique.html

Very Happy 

Any advice or comments welcome.

Lennard
lennard
lennard

Back to top Go down

Root over rock/Clinging to rock- watering and inspection of planting made easy. - Page 2 Empty Hardening of the roots.

Post  lennard Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:05 pm

I have gradually removed the covering to harden of the roots:

Root over rock/Clinging to rock- watering and inspection of planting made easy. - Page 2 Februa16

The three cuttings has fused completely and some air roots are forming.

Root over rock/Clinging to rock- watering and inspection of planting made easy. - Page 2 Close_10

The tree will be left to grow freely like this until late spring.

Lennard

lennard
lennard

Back to top Go down

Post  Neli Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:45 pm

Lennard, am I seeing it well or not? It looks to me the roots are not stuck to the stone...or it is an illusion.
As far as I know the roots are supposed to lie flat against the stone but I can be wrong??? Very Happy 
Neli
Neli

Back to top Go down

Root over rock/Clinging to rock- watering and inspection of planting made easy. - Page 2 Empty Roots against stone.

Post  lennard Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:21 pm

Patience Neli!

When I remove the rest of the container some roots will have to be rearranged, some will have to be forced to the rock by using Styrofoam and cable ties again and some will have to be forced into crevices.

Some of the thicker straight roots will also be removed - the winding ones is what I need.

The work on the roots will only be done next summer and the tree will be chopped back in January 2015.

Lennard

Last edited by lennard on Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:22 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added info)
lennard
lennard

Back to top Go down

Post  Neli Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:29 pm

He he he! I thought they are supposed to be glued in the first attempt...and that is what I tried to achive and I think I managed...a bit. Not sure if I remove the ties it will not lift like yours Shocked 
Neli
Neli

Back to top Go down

Root over rock/Clinging to rock- watering and inspection of planting made easy. - Page 2 Empty Long time not doing anything.

Post  lennard Sat Dec 05, 2015 5:49 pm

I have not worked on the tree for over a year now.

Lots of development in the roots but not much to the top. The cuttings have all fused now into one trunk. The variety I am using is quite amazing when it comes to fusing and root over rock.

I was planted in a home made Rockset pot but the pot could not handle the weight of the rock and the roots of the Ficus - so it is back into a plastic basin again.

I need to do some branch selection and rerouting some roots soon.

Root over rock/Clinging to rock- watering and inspection of planting made easy. - Page 2 Novemb10

Any comments and advice welcome.
lennard
lennard

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next