Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Collected olive

+9
my nellie
Justin Hervey
Andrew Legg
BrianG
Mitch Thomas
dorothy7774
Bruno António
abcd
Brett Simon
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Collected olive Empty Collected olive

Post  Brett Simon Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:42 am

Hi IBC
I have been a member for a short while and have been inspired by the site, it is now time to start adding what i am busy with.
This is my first post, so hopefully i get it right. The following olive "Olea europaea subsp. africana" was collected from a clump. Base was cut and planted at the angle i thought was best. I am thinking of a slanting tree with the apex coming back over the trunk. The deadwood is all natural and i think puts movement into the trunk. Any idea's or virts would be most welcome.
Collected olive Img_0312
The Straight branch on the left will be carved, as well as the stump at the base.

Regards
Brett
Brett Simon
Brett Simon

Back to top Go down

Collected olive Empty Re: Collected olive

Post  abcd Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:21 pm

2 virtuals trees
[img]Collected olive Olive110[/img]

With the second solution, the dead wood is more present , long steep part too
[img][url=[url=https://servimg.com/view/16840438/176]Collected olive Olive210[/url
abcd
abcd

Back to top Go down

Post  Bruno António Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:34 pm

Collected olive Img0312mod1

Wink
Bruno António
Bruno António

Back to top Go down

Post  dorothy7774 Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:32 pm

Hi Brett, just a quick virt of one of many ways to go. Best, Dorothy

Collected olive Ibcole10
dorothy7774
dorothy7774

Back to top Go down

Post  Mitch Thomas Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:22 pm

Dorothy
I love your verts. and I have been a long time admirer of your work If you would'nt mind what program do you use.
Thanks
Mitch

Mitch Thomas

Back to top Go down

Post  BrianG Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:00 pm

Mitch Thomas wrote:Dorothy
I love your verts. and I have been a long time admirer of your work If you would'nt mind what program do you use.
Thanks
Mitch

X2....... Mitch how cool and fun would it be to have her come do a Demo and Workshop on Virtual? Dorothy, would you consider coming to New Orleans and do a Demo/workshop on Virtuals and Design?
BrianG
BrianG

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrew Legg Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:05 pm

Brett Simon wrote:Hi IBC
I have been a member for a short while and have been inspired by the site, it is now time to start adding what i am busy with.
This is my first post, so hopefully i get it right.
Regards
Brett

About time you bliksem! Welcome! Nice tree!! Who helped you dig that beauty??? Laughing

Cheers,

Rock Monster

Andrew Legg

Back to top Go down

Post  Brett Simon Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:44 am

Wow, really amazed at how much talent is on this site and how everyone is so willing to assist.
@abcd- thank you for the pics, i really like the second one, did not see that at all, prefer this one as it still shows the trunk which is my favorite part of the tree

@Bruno- Thank you, this is close to one of the idea's i had in mind, i really need to learn or get a virt program.

@Dorothy- Amazing.... that is all i have to say. That is the reason i left the top branch long as i had something very close in mind but now that i see it, i am convinced. Thank you. Will keep you posted on how it develops.

@Andrew..... My fellow dig partner, yes we had to remove a few small "pebbles" to get to that one. Next time i reckon we take some TNT.

I was very fortunate to get some really good material from one dig. Will post some pics of the others.
Brett Simon
Brett Simon

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrew Legg Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:47 am

cheers

Andrew Legg

Back to top Go down

Post  Justin Hervey Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:01 pm

Nice one Brett... really sorry to have missed the dig.

My first impression was to do pretty much exactly what Dorothy has sketched up - she always gets it right.
Maybe even more compact (with apologies to Dorothy for butchering her work):

Collected olive Ibcole10
Justin Hervey
Justin Hervey

Back to top Go down

Post  my nellie Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:09 pm

BrianG wrote: ... ...how cool and fun would it be to have her come do a Demo and Workshop on Virtual? ... ...
Or perhaps some online seminars for the european ones...? Very Happy
my nellie
my nellie

Back to top Go down

Post  Brett Simon Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:11 pm

Thanks Justin

The design by yourself and Dorothy is the way i would like to go. I think that the piece of deadwood on the left should stay IMHO. The compactness of the tree can be played with.
Brett Simon
Brett Simon

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrew Legg Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:43 pm

Brett Simon wrote:Thanks Justin

The design by yourself and Dorothy is the way i would like to go. I think that the piece of deadwood on the left should stay IMHO. The compactness of the tree can be played with.

Brett,

I'm with Dorothy on the jin, and Justin on lightening it up, although, having said that, I'd have it even more sparse to try to get the top to emulate the tough growth conditions of the bottom.

Cheers,

Andrew

Andrew Legg

Back to top Go down

Post  kihieulam Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:19 am

dorothy7774 wrote:Hi Brett, just a quick virt of one of many ways to go. Best, Dorothy

Collected olive Ibcole10

very interested variant, thanks.

kihieulam

Back to top Go down

Post  -Brent- Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:07 am

Hey Brett

That's quite a cool find. Nice one. I like Dorothy's virt for this tree - she has such a talent.

Did you guys go on a club dig or something? A few of us up here went on an informal dig in Rustenburg a few weeks back. Just hoping my trees pull through.
-Brent-
-Brent-

Back to top Go down

Post  Brett Simon Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:21 am

Hey Brent

Yes it was club dig. Oyama bonsai kai. There was very little material as it is a dairy farm and most had been cleared for grazing(very sad) but there were a few clumps scattered here and there and we dug up one clump and must have got at least 7 trees from it.
Hopefully all of them pull through. We did a dig a few months back and cut the base flat with no roots and all of them are shooting and when digging down a bit discovered new roots growing Very Happy Sure yours will pull through.
Brett Simon
Brett Simon

Back to top Go down

Post  -Brent- Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:34 am

Well it sure looks like you scored in that case!

That's great news regarding the roots - both of the two I dug had long fat roots so after extraction, no fine roots remained whatsoever.

All the best, and thanks for the info. Oh and your other one looks like it has some good potential too ThumbsUp
-Brent-
-Brent-

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrew Legg Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:50 am

Brent W wrote:Hey Brett

That's quite a cool find. Nice one. I like Dorothy's virt for this tree - she has such a talent.

Did you guys go on a club dig or something? A few of us up here went on an informal dig in Rustenburg a few weeks back. Just hoping my trees pull through.

Brent, olives are tough as nails. They can sulk though, so be prepared to look after a bare trunk for a while. I've had a small one that took 18 months to shoot and get going. Worst I've heard of is 4 years on a big tree. If you are really worried, try to put the tree in a bag with some sphagnum moss or something similar to keep the humidity up. I've also heard that watering with a solution of Aliette can help, although I'm not sure what the logic is as it is a fungicide??

Cheers,

Andrew

Andrew Legg

Back to top Go down

Post  my nellie Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:43 pm

Andrew Legg wrote:... ...They can sulk though, so be prepared to look after a bare trunk for a while. I've had a small one that took 18 months to shoot and get going. Worst I've heard of is 4 years on a big tree... ...
Yes, indeed they can sulk. Mine took also about 15 months to give new shoots and then after some hasty carving interventions (the stupid novice haste...) she has put herself into stasis/dormant condition and I guess I will have again to wait so long to see her new shoots...
my nellie
my nellie

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrew Legg Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:50 pm

my nellie wrote:
Andrew Legg wrote:... ...They can sulk though, so be prepared to look after a bare trunk for a while. I've had a small one that took 18 months to shoot and get going. Worst I've heard of is 4 years on a big tree... ...
Yes, indeed they can sulk. Mine took also about 15 months to give new shoots and then after some hasty carving interventions (the stupid novice haste...) she has put herself into stasis/dormant condition and I guess I will have again to wait so long to see her new shoots...

LOL!!! I know the feeling. My first tree is now 3 years from digging and I just "styled" it. Now it's sitting there looking at me and going Evil or Very Mad I may just have to toss it in the braai fire to teach it a lesson. Something somewhere makes me feel that that is counter productive though! If I'm honest with myself, mine is probably not even worth the wait! Rolling Eyes

Andrew Legg

Back to top Go down

Post  cosmos Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:34 pm

Collected olive Pic111

I like Dorothy's virtual (as usual outstanding). I also like twin trunks styles so I have posted you one. Thanks for sharing.

Cosmos
cosmos
cosmos

Back to top Go down

Post  Brett Simon Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:34 am

Thanks Cosmos

I like the different look at the tree. So many great virus for this one. As you said Dorothy's great virt is def an option and what i saw in my head when i dug the tree.
Need to see how the tree shoots and where i can go from there.
Thank you for the input, i now have another option, i really like twin trunks two, infact i have a few trees in progress that are twin trunks.
Brett Simon
Brett Simon

Back to top Go down

Post  Justin Hervey Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:42 am

Brett... have you found a pot for your avatar?
Justin Hervey
Justin Hervey

Back to top Go down

Post  Brett Simon Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:15 am

Justin Hervey wrote:Brett... have you found a pot for your avatar?
Yes, my swimming pool..!!!!
Brett Simon
Brett Simon

Back to top Go down

Collected olive Empty re Dorothy

Post  tap pi lu Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:18 am

dorothy7774 wrote:Hi Brett, just a quick virt of one of many ways to go. Best, Dorothy

Collected olive Ibcole10
Oh yes very nice.
tap pi lu
tap pi lu

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next