Fertilizing after de-candling while developing pine

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Fertilizing after de-candling while developing pine

Post  FrankP999 on Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:39 pm

I have a black pine that I bought last winter. The trunk is fine and I had plenty of candles. However, the branches generally are a bit leggy so I need to "chase back" the growth pushing it back toward the trunk. I know fertilizing after de-candling is a no-no generally to keep the next generation of needles short.

I have de-candled and done a little bit of cut back where the branches had some growth closer to the trunk already.

In my case, I don't care about the length of the new needles. I just want a lot of them to grow so I get stringer branches and hopefulluy more back buds. Given this goal, can I continue fertilizing to push the growth?

Thanks,

Frank

FrankP999

Back to top Go down

Re: Fertilizing after de-candling while developing pine

Post  Leo Schordje on Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:30 pm

yep, you can keep pushing the tree. Needle reduction is really only needed once the tree is ready for its final design and when it is ready to go into a bonsai pot. When just trying to get branches and thicken trunks and branches, don't worry about needle length.

Leo Schordje

Back to top Go down

Post  marcus watts on Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:16 am

totally agree with leo,
my Blackpine has bags of organic, liquid feeds of high nitrogen and foliar feeds too. this is following a big repot in spring and removal of 99% of the old needles - after wiring the entire tree many new buds are forming. I'll keep this feeding up for 3 years at least

cheers Marcus

marcus watts

Back to top Go down

Post  FrankP999 on Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:49 am

Thanks. I thought it would be ok to continue fertilizing.

Frank

FrankP999

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 12:24 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum