Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Saved an old Bougainvillea- advice,suggestions etc... See pics.

4 posters

Go down

Saved an old Bougainvillea- advice,suggestions etc... See pics. Empty Saved an old Bougainvillea- advice,suggestions etc... See pics.

Post  ladyz Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:36 pm

Hi,
I'm new to bonsai and need some input on how to proceed. I'm located in south Florida and bougainvilleas survive here year round, I've driven by this house for the pasted 12 years and always admired the large bougainvillea growing in the front yard. Well just my luck new owners and they wanted it gone. Very Happy Now I have this unexpected (but happy I got it) huge bougainvillea. We planted it in our yard till I figure out what to do with it.
HELP!!
INFO: size over 6 feet tall, base is about 12 inches.
Saved an old Bougainvillea- advice,suggestions etc... See pics. 06091210

ladyz

Back to top Go down

Saved an old Bougainvillea- advice,suggestions etc... See pics. Empty Re: Saved an old Bougainvillea- advice,suggestions etc... See pics.

Post  fiona Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:41 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum.

We can't grow bougies in my country so I can't advise you. Why not go to the forum Home page and use the google search facility? Just type in bougainvillea and see what comes up. There have been some really good threads in the past on the subject and I'm sure you'd get some ideas and information. People like Sam (kauaibonsai) have posted some great threads on large bougies.

Hope you get your answers but what a great piece of luck in getting that beast.
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Saved an old Bougainvillea- advice,suggestions etc... See pics. Empty Re: Saved an old Bougainvillea- advice,suggestions etc... See pics.

Post  ladyz Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:45 pm

Saved an old Bougainvillea- advice,suggestions etc... See pics. 06091213
Saved an old Bougainvillea- advice,suggestions etc... See pics. 06091211

Last edited by ladyz on Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:03 pm; edited 1 time in total

ladyz

Back to top Go down

Post  Poink88 Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:49 pm

You got lots of big branches, you can either make cuttings out of those or air layer later (after the tree recovered) if you want to be safe. Please post more pictures (all around)...someone will more likely spot the best way to go if you do so.

For now, I will shorten some of the long branches you don't plan on using (for the tree or cutting)

Good luck and congrats!

BTW, Welcome to IBC!
Poink88
Poink88

Back to top Go down

Post  ladyz Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:53 pm

Thank you fiona,
I have searched and found some great info, just wanted some input from the more experienced before I start. Like what they've done with parts of the tree they cut off and what pot size would be good, whatever advice anyone can give me would be great. Its just a little intimidating this huge bougie. Shocked
Thanks!

ladyz

Back to top Go down

Post  ladyz Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:58 pm

Saved an old Bougainvillea- advice,suggestions etc... See pics. 06121210
Saved an old Bougainvillea- advice,suggestions etc... See pics. 06091212

ladyz

Back to top Go down

Post  Billy M. Rhodes Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:10 pm

Wait for new growth.
Billy M. Rhodes
Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

Post  ladyz Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:10 pm

Billy M. Rhodes wrote:Wait for new growth.

There is new growth already, the previous owner had hard pruned the bougie and since its the rainy season here it sprouted quickly. I also saved some root parts and potted them up. Hope they survive.

ladyz

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down