Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2012 UPSTATE NEW YORK BONSAI EXHIBITION

3 posters

Go down

2012 UPSTATE NEW YORK BONSAI EXHIBITION Empty 2012 UPSTATE NEW YORK BONSAI EXHIBITION

Post  William N. Valavanis Mon May 21, 2012 1:23 pm

This past weekend members of the Bonsai Society of Upstate New York held their 39th exhibition at the Monroe Community Hospital (OLD location of the US National Bonsai Exhibitions) in Rochester, New York. The exhibition was well attended and as in the past our former president and now long-distance member, Joe Noga traveled from North Carolina to Rochester to professionally photograph the bonsai and display a few bonsai. The attached photos are my poor attempts, Joe's will make a DVD with his professional photos for our members.

Enjoy the photos, come to our 40th exhibition next year in mid-May. If you missed this show you can still see some of the finest bonsai in our country at the US National Bonsai Exhibition coming up soon (two weeks!) on June 9-10th in Rochester.

Bill

2012 UPSTATE NEW YORK BONSAI EXHIBITION 1view-10
View

2012 UPSTATE NEW YORK BONSAI EXHIBITION 2_view11
Shohin bonsai are big in Rochester. We had over 30 specimens on display

2012 UPSTATE NEW YORK BONSAI EXHIBITION 3_roy-10
In addition to Japanese style displays, Roy Wixon, member from Buffalo, New York, spent several months designing his distinctive contemporary displays featuring photos

2012 UPSTATE NEW YORK BONSAI EXHIBITION 4_ron-10
Japanese five-needle pine, Ron Maggio

2012 UPSTATE NEW YORK BONSAI EXHIBITION 5_noga10
Shohin bonsai, Joe Noga

2012 UPSTATE NEW YORK BONSAI EXHIBITION 6_ron-10
Shohin bonsai, Ron Maggio

2012 UPSTATE NEW YORK BONSAI EXHIBITION 7_kiyo10
Kiyo Hime Japanese maple, Wm. N. Valavanis

2012 UPSTATE NEW YORK BONSAI EXHIBITION 8_noga10
Satsuki azalea, Joe Noga

2012 UPSTATE NEW YORK BONSAI EXHIBITION 9_harv10
Kokonoe Japanese five-needle pine, Harvey Carapella

2012 UPSTATE NEW YORK BONSAI EXHIBITION 10_cor10
Japanese five-needle pine, grafted on to Cork-bark Japanese black pine, grafted on to Japanese black pine, Bob Pfromm

2012 UPSTATE NEW YORK BONSAI EXHIBITION 11_dou10
Ponderosa pine, Doug McDade

2012 UPSTATE NEW YORK BONSAI EXHIBITION 12_har10
Smoke tree, Harvey Carapella

2012 UPSTATE NEW YORK BONSAI EXHIBITION 13_bob10
Japanese black pine, Bob Blankfield. This bonsai received the Member's Choice Award in memory of Yuji Yoshimura. It will be on display in the upcoming US National Bonsai Exhibition with needles about one inch long...

2012 UPSTATE NEW YORK BONSAI EXHIBITION 14_ris10
American Larch, Craig Risser

2012 UPSTATE NEW YORK BONSAI EXHIBITION 15_mar10
Potentilla and Korean hornbeam, Marc Arpag

2012 UPSTATE NEW YORK BONSAI EXHIBITION 16_wil10
Pink flowering hawthorn, Will Hebert

2012 UPSTATE NEW YORK BONSAI EXHIBITION 17_dou10
Koto Hime Japanese maple, Doug McDade. He rooted his bonsai from a cutting about 15 years ago.

2012 UPSTATE NEW YORK BONSAI EXHIBITION 18_par10
Dwarf juniper, Dave Paris

2012 UPSTATE NEW YORK BONSAI EXHIBITION 19_pau10
Cut-leaf Japanese maple, Paul Eschmann

2012 UPSTATE NEW YORK BONSAI EXHIBITION 20_kot10
Koto Hime Japanese maple, Wm. N. Valavanis
William N. Valavanis
William N. Valavanis

Back to top Go down

2012 UPSTATE NEW YORK BONSAI EXHIBITION Empty Re: 2012 UPSTATE NEW YORK BONSAI EXHIBITION

Post  Neil Jaeger Mon May 21, 2012 2:54 pm

Wow, another amazing show. With some truely amazing trees. Pretty sad that i missed it, but hopfully all my bonsai needs will be fulfilled at the national show. Check that, i know that all my bonsai needs will be fulfilled at the national show. Thanks for the quick posting of the show Bill, i know you have to be a pretty busy guy these few weeks.

Neil
Neil Jaeger
Neil Jaeger

Back to top Go down

2012 UPSTATE NEW YORK BONSAI EXHIBITION Empty Re: 2012 UPSTATE NEW YORK BONSAI EXHIBITION

Post  coh Mon May 21, 2012 3:55 pm

Bill, thanks for posting the photos.

The Japanese black pine that won the award is a fantastic tree...Bill posted a nice photo but it just doesn't do the tree justice. Fortunately it will be in the national exhibition.

My personal favorite was Harvey's smoke tree. Beautiful flowing trunk line and a species we don't see all that often. Covered with buds, I bet it will be quite a sight when they all open.
coh
coh

Back to top Go down

Post  William N. Valavanis Mon May 21, 2012 4:45 pm

The Smoke tree will also be in the US National Bonsai Exbibition too, hopefully on full blossom.

Bill
William N. Valavanis
William N. Valavanis

Back to top Go down

Post  coh Mon May 21, 2012 7:08 pm

Great to hear! Hope the timing works out regarding the flowers...
coh
coh

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down