Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New York Suiseki Exhibit from June 10th to 15th, 2012

2 posters

Go down

New York Suiseki Exhibit from June 10th to 15th, 2012 Empty New York Suiseki Exhibit from June 10th to 15th, 2012

Post  Kev Bailey Thu May 10, 2012 12:49 pm

I just received this,

"Hi, my name is Takashi horie.
I was surprised to find that there are actually some people
interested in Suiseki in New York!

I am organizing my father's Suiseki exhibition in Manhattan, and
I am just wondering if any of your members interested in coming to see all the
stones from Japan.

This exhibition is so special!
We are from Sendai, Miyagi, Japan, where is affected by the devastating earthquake
and tsunami, last year. Since then, we have received a lot of support from all over the
world. So my father wanted to come over to thank the people in New York, where I currently resides.

My father is the director of Tohoku Suiseki association. He will bring 19 stone, all of which gathered from Iwate, Miyagi, Fukushima prefectures. All the three prefectures are affected by the disasters. We will have an opening reception party on June 10th, 1pm to 3pm. He will personally serves Japanese tea to all the guests. We will also have charity auction for all the stones he will bring to raise the disaster fund. We would like to share the love of Suiseki as many people as possible, so we would appreciate if you can share this information whoever might be interested.

Opening reception info
Date and time: June 10th, 1pm to 3pm
Place:JaNet Hall
    2 West 47th Street 7th Floor
    New York, NY 10036
Admission :$20 (adult) Child free
*Reservation required!

By the way, all the stones are great and definitely worth coming!

Thank you and We hope to see you in the exhibition!

Takashi Horie" email marmaladepictures@gmail.com
Kev Bailey
Kev Bailey
Admin

Back to top Go down

New York Suiseki Exhibit from June 10th to 15th, 2012 Empty Re: New York Suiseki Exhibit from June 10th to 15th, 2012

Post  Chris Cochrane Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:37 pm

Eiji Horie will be in NYC with his stones for exhibition & auction this Sunday, June 10th. The auction will be by sealed bid accepted until Friday when the exhibit ends (see previous post). His son Takashi Horie has posted four of the stones & intends to post others HERE-- the Facebook page "NY Miyagi Suiseki Exhibition".

Here is a photo of Eiji Horie, who looks forward to meeting stone enthusiasts during his exhibition...
New York Suiseki Exhibit from June 10th to 15th, 2012 Horie-10
Chris Cochrane
Chris Cochrane

Back to top Go down

New York Suiseki Exhibit from June 10th to 15th, 2012 Empty Re: New York Suiseki Exhibit from June 10th to 15th, 2012

Post  Chris Cochrane Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:03 pm

A friend who met Eiji Horie at the NYC auction shares...
(It is) amazing how the language barrier is lowered with a shared love of stones.
He bought three stones & a mid-sized suiban from Mr. Horie... and commented enthusiastically about purchasing scrolls that Mr. Horie had painted himself.

One of the distinguishing features of some suiseki are paintings by owners (or previous owners) which accompany stones. A stellar historical example is the Daikokuten figure stone once owned by Aoki Mokubei (the famous literatus) which is accompanied by Mokubei's painting of Daikoku's folk-god companion Ebisu (both in the collection of David Sampson). 'Wil from Japan' reported in the October 2009 edition the California Aiseki Kai newsletter of Sekisui members receiving drawings of their stones in exhibition, with copies of the drawings comprising an exhibit catalog.

At a recent sale of Chinese scholar rocks in Italy, there was a Japanese painting of stones with several illustrated by different artists (a gassaku painting). Such paintings are a common form for sencha (steeped tea) gatherings of literati artists.

Greater engagement with a stone is reported by many who carve their own daiza. I imagine the painter's engagement similar to the daiza carver's.
Chris Cochrane
Chris Cochrane

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down