Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

bonsai nurseries in the uk

+6
Lee Brindley
DangerousBry
GrumpyOldMan
Bob Brunt
geoff
fishman
10 posters

Go down

bonsai nurseries in the uk Empty bonsai nurseries in the uk

Post  fishman Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:56 pm

hi i live in the UK, in Manchester.

i am interested in visiting bonsai nurseries, any suggestions, ideally closer by, but am more than willing to travel. i have googled this, and it lists a fair few, but want to be sure they are decent nurseries. so thought i would ask on here first.

any tips grateful

cheers

fisher

fishman

Back to top Go down

bonsai nurseries in the uk Empty Re: bonsai nurseries in the uk

Post  geoff Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:26 pm

Hi Fisher,
I live in Kent and have two, Lee Verhorevoort and Windybank, both excellent nurseries nearby. Nearer to you Greenwood Bonsai at Nottingham.
But you can see most at a Bonsai Traders show, the next one is at Coventry 22nd April and later in September at Sheffield, you can look then up on there website.
Hope you see something you like.
Regards
Geoff

geoff

Back to top Go down

bonsai nurseries in the uk Empty Re :bonsai nurseries in the uk

Post  Bob Brunt Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:32 pm

Hi Fisher
Try John Hanby's Bonsai Nursery at Wakefield.About an hours drive from you.
http://www.johnhanbybonsai.co.uk
Leave yourself plenty of time because you will not want to leave. Very Happy
Bob Brunt
Bob Brunt

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:11 pm

Bob Brunt wrote:Hi Fisher

Johns place is winding down his operation but still trading, http://www.johnhanbybonsai.co.uk/updates/?page_id=4675 I am not sure how much stock he has. No

Back to top Go down

Post  fishman Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:20 pm

hi guys

thanks for the heads up. payday soon, and two little trips i shall take:)

thanks

fishman

fishman

Back to top Go down

Post  GrumpyOldMan Fri May 25, 2012 1:35 pm

I live in Lancaster and have been to Potters Farm Bonsai in Samlesbury a few times. It's all a bit rough and ready, no Cafes or playgrounds, but that's the way I like them. I'm off to Warrington this afternoon and I'm calling in on the way down so I'll let you know if they have anything interesting in.

There's also a place in Lytham St Annes but it's only open by appointment so I have never been. If I made an appointment I would feel obliged to buy even if they had nothing I really wanted so I'll give them a miss. You might feel differently though.

Ian.
GrumpyOldMan
GrumpyOldMan

Back to top Go down

Post  DangerousBry Fri May 25, 2012 6:52 pm

Potters Farm Bonsai in Samlesbury
A guy in our club used to work there but I've never made a trip to see what it's like

Think the on in Lytham St Annes is called - Wyndecote
Not been here either. Website look good.

Ta
Bryan
DangerousBry
DangerousBry

Back to top Go down

Post  GrumpyOldMan Sat May 26, 2012 1:49 pm

I called at Samlesbury yesterday and I can only make one reccomendation really - give it a miss! The place is a mess with very little stock. It looks like the owner has lost interest to be honest. It's a shame as it used to be a really good nursery and many of my trees came from there.

Yes, the Lytham one is called Wyndcote and does have a good website. It's just the appointment only thing that puts me off. That's maybe why they do it, so that people without wads of cash to spend don't waste their time. The guy who runes it does attend some Bonsai shows though and seems amiable enough.

Ian.
GrumpyOldMan
GrumpyOldMan

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Brindley Sun May 27, 2012 4:53 pm

tony wrote:
Bob Brunt wrote:Hi Fisher

Johns place is winding down his operation but still trading, http://www.johnhanbybonsai.co.uk/updates/?page_id=4675 I am not sure how much stock he has. No

I popped in a couple of weeks ago. Still worth a look, I'd say.
Lee Brindley
Lee Brindley

Back to top Go down

Post  marcus watts Mon May 28, 2012 7:28 am

hi,
pretty much all you need is here, especially if you are looking for really good stuff:

Steve Tolley

Willowbog

Well worth the journey, and John Hambey seems to have downsized the ordinary garden / landscape nursery to concentrate just on the bonsai so well worth calling in - there will be plenty of material in all price ranges.

Marcus
marcus watts
marcus watts

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:29 pm

Hi Fisher,

Wyndcote Bonsai (Lytham) is just down the road from me. The proprietor John Barnes is the secretary of the local Fylde Bonsai association.
He has a very good selection of trees to suit all pockets. It is by appointment only but do not be put off by this as there is no pressure to buy. I and others go there often just to browse and John welcomes this.

Beginners and the experieced are welcomed as there is plenty of starter material and more advanced stock both in pots and the ground. He is reasonably priced compared to other nurseries I have been to around the country.

Not too far from Manchester and about 5 miles off the M55.

Hope this is of some help.

Regards Allan

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:30 pm

fishman wrote:hi i live in the UK, in Manchester.

i am interested in visiting bonsai nurseries, any suggestions, ideally closer by, but am more than willing to travel. i have googled this, and it lists a fair few, but want to be sure they are decent nurseries. so thought i would ask on here first.

any tips grateful

cheers

fisher

you can always visit me, drop me a PM

Back to top Go down

Post  mr treevolution Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:56 pm

Personally, i would go well out of my way to visit Wyndcote.
Great nursery, run by a great guy, with great stock at non tickled up prices; not really seen anymore in the bonsai trade. Shame there are not more places like it the uk, and i have visited nearly all and worked at a few!
Regards Nick

mr treevolution

Back to top Go down

Post  marcus watts Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:25 pm

mr treevolution wrote:Personally, i would go well out of my way to visit Wyndcote.
Great nursery, run by a great guy, with great stock at non tickled up prices; not really seen anymore in the bonsai trade. Shame there are not more places like it the uk, and i have visited nearly all and worked at a few!
Regards Nick

haha Very Happy Very Happy - brilliant post - I'll certainly give the place a call next time the car is pointing up the country - cheers for the info as i'd never heard of it

Marcus
marcus watts
marcus watts

Back to top Go down

Post  graham walker Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:19 am

Went over there, Marcus, several times when I first started in Bonsai.
Still have a couple of trees bought from there.
John is a good guy to deal with, well worth the visit

graham walker

Back to top Go down

Post  GrumpyOldMan Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:08 pm

AllanM wrote:Hi Fisher,
Wyndcote Bonsai (Lytham) is just down the road from me. The proprietor John Barnes is the secretary of the local Fylde Bonsai association.
He has a very good selection of trees to suit all pockets. It is by appointment only but do not be put off by this as there is no pressure to buy. I and others go there often just to browse and John welcomes this.

Beginners and the experieced are welcomed as there is plenty of starter material and more advanced stock both in pots and the ground. He is reasonably priced compared to other nurseries I have been to around the country.

Not too far from Manchester and about 5 miles off the M55.

Hope this is of some help.

Regards Allan

It would be great if he had an open day for Internet Bonsai Club members. If he announced it on here I'm sure quite a few would pay a visit. I certainly would.

Ian.
GrumpyOldMan
GrumpyOldMan

Back to top Go down

Post  GrumpyOldMan Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:13 pm

marcus watts wrote:hi,
pretty much all you need is here, especially if you are looking for really good stuff:

Steve Tolley

Willowbog

Well worth the journey, and John Hambey seems to have downsized the ordinary garden / landscape nursery to concentrate just on the bonsai so well worth calling in - there will be plenty of material in all price ranges.

Marcus

Regarding Steve Tolley Bonsai I have Had a look at the site and I can't find any mention whatsoever as to his location!! Might be me of course, I'm getting on so my eyesight isn't what it was, lol. But you'd think that one of the first rules of business would be to tell people where you are!

Ian.
GrumpyOldMan
GrumpyOldMan

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:29 pm

Steve prefers to keep his location off his website owing to several thefts. If you drop him an email saying you are interested in some of his stock and want to visit, he will get back to you. His is not a "bonsai nursery" as such though, as his main business is teaching. But he does have some nice bits of material though.
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down