Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

elm and holy

+2
Justin_
fishman
6 posters

Go down

elm and holy  Empty elm and holy

Post  fishman Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:33 pm

hi guys, new to the website. been studying and studying bonsai for some time. have planted some nursery stock in the garden to eventually train, i have been bought a Chinese elm "mallsia" as a gift, it started like this i couldn't say no as the person was interested in my new hobby.

elm and holy  Get-attachment3

elm and holy  Get-attachment

with some TLC and a bit of attention over a few months it has been replanted wired and pruned the huge excess growth,and looks like this

elm and holy  Get-attachment9

elm and holy  Get-attachment12

i was then bought another "malsia" labeled a Japanese holly i am after a few pointers on the style in seasons to come

the holly, which species is this? and how would you start the styling i cant see for looking.haha
elm and holy  Get-attachment6

i also have these planted ready to grow for a few years, a hawthorn and cypress
elm and holy  Get-attachment4

any styling tips would be welcome, they are giving plenty of shoots and seem very healthy to me, had them for 6 month, with no issues

cheers

fishman

fishman

Back to top Go down

elm and holy  Empty Re: elm and holy

Post  Justin_ Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:33 pm

The Japanese Holly is probably a slow-growing variety of Ilex Crenata. That's the usual "mallsai" holly.

I've got to say your hawthorn doesn't look much like a hawthorn from that picture.

Justin_

Back to top Go down

Post  fishman Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:45 pm

sorry typo, i meant firethorn.doh

any tips on the styling i should aim for with the holly? i cant "see" a style it will suit

cheers

fishman

fishman

Back to top Go down

Post  Billy M. Rhodes Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:03 pm

I would like to suggest a book on Bonsai, it would help you with styling, etc.
As to the Holly, some wiring of branches might help. You might also remove about 1/3 of the tree and train a top branch as a new apex, that would give you more taper and remove that strange bend near the top.
The Elm looks like one of those that they import from China.
Remember that unless a pot is round, we usually don't put the plant in the middle, remember a rule of thirds in art.
Billy M. Rhodes
Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

Post  fishman Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:21 pm

thanks for the advice billy, i have bought a few books on bonsai, my favorite being one from peter chan.

the advice for the holy is greatly appreciated, the mound on top is some what of an eyesore, but there is a decent trunk chop scar underneath and am really considering your advice on starting a new apex, maybe the branch top left?

i love the advice on the pot centering, i will fix this on the next re pot. thank you.

now just holding out for the slow process of building some branch ramification on the elm, and see where we are in 3-4 years:)
cheers

fishman

fishman

Back to top Go down

Post  Ryan Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:27 pm

Once the weather allows, both trees, the elm and holly, can go outdoors and stay out there year round.

Ryan

Back to top Go down

Post  fishman Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:34 pm

i am trying to figure how i can store my trees outside, i am considering a few spots in the garden for the bonsai bench,my garden overlooked by flats from all directions, i live on a council estate in the uk, i work in healthcare, and am the only worker or tax payer on my street. they will be stolen so have been looking at indoor possibilities first. the fire-thorn and cypress, by the time they are big enough, i will have sussed something out.

cheers

fishman

fishman

Back to top Go down

elm and holy  Empty Elm & Holly

Post  bonsaisr Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:59 pm

fishman wrote:i am trying to figure how i can store my trees outside, i live on a council estate in the uk, (public housing project). i work in healthcare, and am the only worker or tax payer on my street. they will be stolen.
cheers
fishman
Don't wait. They need to go outside now. Get a used dog or cat cage, chain it to something, and lock your trees in the cage.
You haven't been told yet, those severe S-curves in the elm trunk are actually considered bad taste. Once you get past the initial beginner stage, learn how to air layer, and air layer your tree above that horizontal section.
Iris
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Post  fishman Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:07 pm

thanks bonsaisr, i have been reading up on air layer, and am considering this. i also have a silver birch in the garden i want to air layer Smile

fishman

Back to top Go down

Post  jonkatzmail Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:47 am

I was given a "mallsai" a few years ago, with the glued on rocks and all that. I am not sure what it was except it was some tropical thing, completely incompatible with being indoors in low light and everything. I killed it very effectively! It was sad to see the dead plant so I didn't throw it away for months since the trunk and branches wasn't too bad if I imagined it just "resting" in a northern winter somewhere. When it started falling apart I took it out and I'm not sure how any water got thru the glued on rocks. The pot was wide and flat so that was good. I think that is what I have my "poodle" mugo pine in now. bounce

jonkatzmail

Back to top Go down

Post  bonsaisr Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:19 am

fishman wrote: i also have a silver birch in the garden i want to air layer Smile
Do you know what species it is? According to Walter Pall, Betula pendula is a good bonsai subject. Most of the white birches are not.
Iris
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down