Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cracks in the skin

+12
David D
GaryWood
John Quinn
dave p
bumblebee
Fore
RKatzin
Oliver Muscio
Orion
Poink88
landerloos
Mike Jones
16 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Cracks in the skin Empty Cracks in the skin

Post  Mike Jones Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:04 pm

My Mum used to get it, and now sadly so do I. Been working with treated timber and soil all day trying to make some raised beds for veggie and sweet-pea etc. My hands despite using cream are showing signs of those horrible splits / cracks near the nail and will NOT heal. I have used super glue in the past, but unless I get that right it is a bit like a filling coming out from a tooth; I sit and fiddle with it; I know ... own worst enemy.

Does ANYONE ... PERLLLEEEAAASSSEEEEEEEEEEE have a cure or anything that might help. They are soooo painful.

I've tried gloves and can't get on with them; splinters I can dig out but these cracks!!!!!! HELP. affraid
Mike Jones
Mike Jones

Back to top Go down

Cracks in the skin Empty Re: Cracks in the skin

Post  landerloos Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:29 pm

Olive oil with Hypericum perforatum, leave it for 2 weeks at a southfacing window. (full sun)
Sieve it and use daily, should help you with the cracks my friend.

I tried it on my elbows that crack in winter and it did the job for me, my wife is a phytoterapist.

Peter
landerloos
landerloos

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike Jones Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:31 pm

Is there a like or thank you button?

Cheers Peter; top man as always.

EmJay
Mike Jones
Mike Jones

Back to top Go down

Post  landerloos Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:32 pm

Mike Jones wrote:Is there a like or thank you button?

Cheers Peter; top man as always.

EmJay

No need for that Mike, your welcome

Peter
landerloos
landerloos

Back to top Go down

Post  Poink88 Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:33 pm

Thick callous is your enemy, they are hard and not as flexible so your skin finds the weakest point and cracks due to stress, drying or combination. Once started it is a vicious cycle so you need to thin the callous first by filing or sanding it down. You can apply cream but petroleum jelly works better in keeping the moisture in. It is not an overnight cure so be patient and you might have to repeat callous removal.

IF it is an eczema (allergy), it is another story but same applies but medication need to be added. I have luck using hydrocortizone in eczema.

Good luck!
Poink88
Poink88

Back to top Go down

Post  landerloos Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:35 pm

Poink88 wrote:Thick callous is your enemy, they are hard and not as flexible so your skin finds the weakest point and cracks due to stress, drying or combination. Once started it is a vicious cycle so you need to thin the callous first by filing or sanding it down. You can apply cream but petroleum jelly works better in keeping the moisture in. It is not an overnight cure so be patient and you might have to repeat callous removal.

IF it is an eczema (allergy), it is another story but same applies but medication need to be added. I have luck using hydrocortizone in eczema.

Good luck!

Only problem with cortizone is that the skin get very thin after a while ( read aplied many times)

Peter
landerloos
landerloos

Back to top Go down

Post  Poink88 Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:38 pm

Yeah, the label should tell you not to do it more than a week or 10 days. It usually improved a lot (if not totally cured) before that.

There are also nice baby rash ointment (petroleum jelly variant) that you can use.

Wearing gloves also help. esp while working in the garden Wink
Poink88
Poink88

Back to top Go down

Post  Orion Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:36 pm

Mike Jones wrote:Does ANYONE ... PERLLLEEEAAASSSEEEEEEEEEEE have a cure or anything that might help. They are soooo painful.

I've tried gloves and can't get on with them; splinters I can dig out but these cracks!!!!!! HELP. affraid

There's a really good product I use called "Bag Balm". It's marketed for use around the farm when people still milked cows by hand...keeps the cows smiling. I get the same thing and it's like death by a thousand cuts. The other guys have it right with prevention and don't let the skin dry out because once it starts to crack, you're toast.
Orion
Orion

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike Jones Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:42 pm

Orion wrote:
Mike Jones wrote:Does ANYONE ... PERLLLEEEAAASSSEEEEEEEEEEE have a cure or anything that might help. They are soooo painful.

There's a really good product I use called "Bag Balm". It's marketed for use around the farm when people still milked cows by hand...keeps the cows smiling. I get the same thing and it's like death by a thousand cuts. The other guys have it right with prevention and don't let the skin dry out because once it starts to crack, you're toast.

Death by a thousand cuts affraid Yep that just about sums it up. THANK YOU for the recommendation; I shall get this tomorrow from my local farming supplies company. No doubt it is marketed under a different name here in Blighty? Oh I hope it works Sad
Mike Jones
Mike Jones

Back to top Go down

Post  Oliver Muscio Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:48 pm

I grew up on a dairy farm, and was going to recommend Bag Balm too, but wasn't sure it would be available outside the U.S. I think I have seen it recommended here before, as well.
Oliver

Oliver Muscio

Back to top Go down

Post  RKatzin Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:28 am

Hi Mike, my wife makes an ointment using Calendula officinalis flower petals. Applied daily it relieves the most chronic cases of cracked feet and hands. She plucks the petals from the flower and soaks them in hot olive oil. Then sieves out the oil and mixes in bees wax to a nice consistency.

Great relief and healing comes from a hot soak in Stellaria media, commonly called chickweed, a most common garden weed. Heat a pan of water big enough to fit your hands into to boiling and remove it from the heat. Add in a big bunch of Stellaria and let it steep until you can put your hands in it. The hotter the better, I start with a quick dip a build up to a full soak. Once you can get your hands into the bath you can massage your hands with the chickweed until the water cools.

You will not believe your hands the next day! A truely amazing plant, a tea prepared from it makes an excellent spring tonic. Tastes somewhat like lawn grass, but it will cure all y'alls ills. Rick
RKatzin
RKatzin

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike Jones Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:16 am

Many thanks. I am up for absolutely anything. pale
Mike Jones
Mike Jones

Back to top Go down

Post  Fore Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:22 pm

Mike, I too think using a file to get rid of the thick callous', and then use cream of choice to keep them moist. Good Luck as I know how much they can hurt. One thing I've used, is antibiotic ointment with an anesthetic for immediate pain relief. You can find this at Walgreens. I unfort. bite my nails...I know, nasty habit, but have been dealing with cracked skin, bleeding fingers for a long time, and found that filing the callous', and then using the ointment, cover with bandaid for a couple days and it does wonders. Just another suggestion of many lol

Chris
Fore
Fore

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike Jones Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:47 pm

Fore wrote:Mike, I too think using a file to get rid of the thick callous', and then use cream of choice to keep them moist. Good Luck as I know how much they can hurt. One thing I've used, is antibiotic ointment with an anesthetic for immediate pain relief. You can find this at Walgreens. I unfort. bite my nails...I know, nasty habit, but have been dealing with cracked skin, bleeding fingers for a long time, and found that filing the callous', and then using the ointment, cover with bandaid for a couple days and it does wonders. Just another suggestion of many lol

Chris

Thanks Chris. I don't bite nails bit must confess to nibbling the edges of skin around the nail and or a callous or four. Mostly always thumb and forefingers. Got a pair of gloves to use today plus some of the recommended balm from my local farm shop. Still feeling as if someone is making wee slits and pouring lemon juice in affraid That must have made anyone wince ... surely?
Mike Jones
Mike Jones

Back to top Go down

Post  bumblebee Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:02 pm

Bag Balm works great! alternatively, you can use hydrocortisone first, then follow with the Bag Balm. Once your present cuts heal, stop the hydrocortisone and just use the Bag Balm. Or get pure lanolin. That's available all over the world and has been around many, many years because it works so well.

Libby

bumblebee

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike Jones Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:30 pm

Thanks Libby. Mucho appreciato Very Happy
Mike Jones
Mike Jones

Back to top Go down

Cracks in the skin Empty Cracks in the skin

Post  dave p Sun Apr 08, 2012 3:54 pm

Go into Boots the chemists and ask for a tub of Aqueous cream
It does work

dave p

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike Jones Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:17 pm

Thanks Dave. I must say the bag balm is working incredibly fast. When I poured a gin and tonic earlier for the first time in weeks I did not hit the ceiling when I sliced a lemon. I loathe working in gloves but have worn them this weekend to give the skin a break.

Mike
Mike Jones
Mike Jones

Back to top Go down

Post  John Quinn Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:54 pm

It is reported to also work well as a chamois cream for long hours on the bicycle. May have my wife get some at the feed 'n seed store. Cool
John Quinn
John Quinn

Back to top Go down

Post  GaryWood Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:23 am

Hey Guys, in the pottery world it's the wonder "drug" Very Happy Good stuff!
Wood

GaryWood

Back to top Go down

Post  Orion Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:49 am

Mike Jones wrote:Thanks Dave. I must say the bag balm is working incredibly fast. When I poured a gin and tonic earlier for the first time in weeks I did not hit the ceiling when I sliced a lemon. I loathe working in gloves but have worn them this weekend to give the skin a break.

Mike

Cracks in the skin Bonsai25

Here ya go, you won't feel a damn thing...
Orion
Orion

Back to top Go down

Post  David D Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:53 am

Bag balm works great, I have tried many others and it gives you the fastest relief I have found.
David D
David D

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike Jones Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:53 am

Nice Orion. I may have misled though. It was not the first time I'd had a G&T in weeks Very Happy it was simply the first time in weeks I did not hit the ceiling /roof after slicing lemon. Nice image that you gave there. And there was me given up smoking almost three months ago ThumbsUp
Mike Jones
Mike Jones

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:48 pm

John Quinn wrote:It is reported to also work well as a chamois cream for long hours on the bicycle. May have my wife get some at the feed 'n seed store. Cool
I am about to put this to the test and will feed back the results later.

I only hope that it makes up in effectiveness what it lacks in pleasantness of aroma. It's bad enough looking like a... erm ... udder without actually smelling like one. Embarassed
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike Jones Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:18 pm

I quite like it. Slower to heal than I had hoped if honest.
Mike Jones
Mike Jones

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next