Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is the right time to collect Podacarpus

4 posters

Go down

Is the right time to collect Podacarpus Empty Is the right time to collect Podacarpus

Post  Martin Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:12 pm

Hi All ,

Long time reader on the forum . and enjoy all the post on this forum very much.This is my first post and the first question .Is this time of the year still OK to collecting Podacarpus in Southern California. any advise will be very helpful Thanks.

Martin Lau

Martin

Back to top Go down

Is the right time to collect Podacarpus Empty Re: Is the right time to collect Podacarpus

Post  JimLewis Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:11 pm

The only large one I've collected was at Christmas in Florida, but I do most of my repotting at the warmer end of spring. Since it's not native to California, it's hard to say exactly. It may depend on how large the tree is and how hard it is to dig.

Is the right time to collect Podacarpus Scanne10
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Is the right time to collect Podacarpus Empty Re: Is the right time to collect Podacarpus

Post  Bob Pressler Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:20 pm

I think it's a good time. I've collected them from Jan. through the end of April and have had 100% success. I gotten at least 15 or so from various gardens. They seem to not mind being collected to much.
Bob Pressler
Bob Pressler

Back to top Go down

Post  Mitch Thomas Sun Mar 18, 2012 3:49 pm

Jim / Bob
I also have a large prodacarpus to collect. I have two questions if you will. First how much green is needed on the stump. Second how large of a root ball is needed. I have never collected one and inexperienced on this specie. Any other helpful hints ?

Thanks Mitch

Mitch Thomas

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:13 pm

I've only collected this one tree, and it was surrounded by sidewalk and a building foundation, so I got very little fine roots. It's still alive in a pot 7 years later (though it has yet to pan out as a bonsai). I left a lot of foliage, 90 percent of which has since disappeared.

The tree was at least 50 years old and 9 feet tall before I chopped it to the size above with my then 4-year-old granddaughter.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Bob Pressler Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:59 pm

You should leave some green on any branch you want to keep, but I generally keep quite a bit until I know where I'm going with it. As for roots they seem to not need all that many, but you probably want to get as many as possible. All the one's I've collected have had more fibrous roots then big ones.
Bob Pressler
Bob Pressler

Back to top Go down

Post  Mitch Thomas Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:18 pm

Thanks Jim / Bob
I'll have my work cut for me, it's a large tree about 6" in diameter.

Mitch

Mitch Thomas

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:19 pm

Mine has/had a 9-inch base.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Mitch Thomas Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:44 pm

Jim
Yea I can tell it's a monster! I'll bet it was a hell of a battle getting that one out of the ground. Is that your daughter, she is a cutie pie. My grand daughter is my shadow when I'm in my garden. Thanks for the reply.

Mitch

Mitch Thomas

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:48 pm

Granddaughter. The tree was at her house in st. Pete Beach, FL. In fact it came out of that spot between the house wall and that white kerb behind her.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:36 am

Bob Pressler wrote:I think it's a good time. I've collected them from Jan. through the end of April and have had 100% success. I gotten at least 15 or so from various gardens. They seem to not mind being collected to much.

Bob,

Thanks for the information i will go ahead to collect the tree some time this weeks

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:41 am

JimLewis wrote:The only large one I've collected was at Christmas in Florida, but I do most of my repotting at the warmer end of spring. Since it's not native to California, it's hard to say exactly. It may depend on how large the tree is and how hard it is to dig.

Is the right time to collect Podacarpus Scanne10

Hi Bob

Thanks

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down