Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Best hose end sprayer for fertilizing.

+6
drgonzo
Todd Ellis
JimLewis
marcus watts
Billy M. Rhodes
Poink88
10 posters

Go down

Best hose end sprayer for fertilizing. Empty Best hose end sprayer for fertilizing.

Post  Poink88 Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:08 pm

Up to now, I apply Miracle Gro all purpose water soluble fertilizer with my watering can to fertilize. I am planning on shifting to a hose end sprayer and would like to hear what you guys would recommend (brand/model).

Summer is coming and TX heat will require me watering more often than in other areas. I need one with a selector switch (on, off, water only) feature if possible.

Thank you.
Poink88
Poink88

Back to top Go down

Best hose end sprayer for fertilizing. Empty Re: Best hose end sprayer for fertilizing.

Post  Billy M. Rhodes Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:38 pm

My suggestion is don't. They waste fertilizer and depending upon water pressure don't work at all.
I use a tank type sprayer to better direct the the fertilizer solution.
I water first so that the media/soil will accept the fertilizer solution.
Billy M. Rhodes
Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

Best hose end sprayer for fertilizing. Empty Re: Best hose end sprayer for fertilizing.

Post  marcus watts Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:03 pm

Hi Dario,
For a while I tried the miracle grow one but it was never consistent - one minute disolving loads of fertiliser, then virtually none at all. I was test running it on the garden for a few weeks before risking over fertilising the bonsai and in the end i gave up using it at all. Now i water with just water via hose and gun / spray over the organic cakes daily or when needed, then liquid fertilising (which is at most once a week but normally once a fortnight) is done with a big water bath of miracle acid and the pots sat in it for 15 minutes.

Once the bathing is done i empty the water onto a camellia and wow has it got some flower buds this year Very Happy

I would be very dubious of any 'automated' miracle grow applicator as the right concentration is based on measures per gallon, and every pot needs a different amount of water so some smaller pots would be under fertilised every time.

good luck and happy hunting

Marcus
marcus watts
marcus watts

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:07 pm

Applying fertilizer this way feeds the weeds as much (or more) as it feeds your trees.

Watering with a spray is fine, but using it for fertilization is simply wasteful.

Every couple of weeks (or more likely, every so often) I'll fill a couple of round tubs with a water - fertilizer mix, then I carry each tree over and give it a soak. It is work, but frugal me, I don't waste much fertilizer (just what dribbles out of the drainage holes when I carry my trees back to the tables. For trees that are too large for me to move any more, I simply use a watering can and its normal spout, and carefully water the base of the tree, until liquid starts to flow from the bottom. (I usually have to rearrange the soil a bit when I'm done.)

Another result of this procedure is that I don't fertilize too often. <g>
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Poink88 Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:21 pm

Seems unanimous...thanks guys!

I will continue using the watering can when fertilizing (every other weekend) and use hose w/ wand for regular watering.
Poink88
Poink88

Back to top Go down

Post  Todd Ellis Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:30 am

I'm still experimenting with my miracle grow applicator and like the fact that it saves me lots of time in the Summer. Time that I can work on other projects ... like pruning weeds. Very Happy I do have to avoid watering over the water basins where the frogs live. I'm still weighing the pros and cons...
Todd
Todd Ellis
Todd Ellis

Back to top Go down

Post  drgonzo Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:16 am

I mix my urea free Dyna grow fertilizer in a Haws 501 watering can (Slimcan). I enjoy feeding and I like the more accurate and intimate experience I gain by using my beloved Haws. In this way I can devote specific attention to each tree.

the miracle grow no clog feeders are junk! One minute your over fertilizing, next minute nothing.
-Jay
drgonzo
drgonzo

Back to top Go down

Post  Poink88 Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:42 am

drgonzo wrote:I mix my urea free Dyna grow fertilizer in a Haws 501 watering can (Slimcan). I enjoy feeding and I like the more accurate and intimate experience I gain by using my beloved Haws. In this way I can devote specific attention to each tree.
Jay,

For $60.00 they better be sweet. I just might purchase one if I get tired with my cheap watering can.
Poink88
Poink88

Back to top Go down

Post  drgonzo Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:49 am

Poink88 wrote:
drgonzo wrote:I mix my urea free Dyna grow fertilizer in a Haws 501 watering can (Slimcan). I enjoy feeding and I like the more accurate and intimate experience I gain by using my beloved Haws. In this way I can devote specific attention to each tree.
Jay,

For $60.00 they better be sweet. I just might purchase one if I get tired with my cheap watering can.

They are very sturdy and I use them as sort of an 'arm chair push off' to help stand up when I've been Kneeling. Try that with a plastic can! In bonsai the watering can is the tool I use most, and I love my Haws. Gentle enough of a spray that it doesn't disturb the Turface. I have the round rosette head on mine not the oval. Theres an old saying that if you buy a quality tool at the beginning then you only cry once.

Come to my garden and water some of my trees with it and you'll go home and buy one I guarantee it.
-Jay
drgonzo
drgonzo

Back to top Go down

Post  marcus watts Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:38 am

[quote="drgonzo"][quote="Poink88"]
drgonzo wrote:Come to my garden and water some of my trees with it and you'll go home and buy one I guarantee it.
-Jay

haha, everyone wants Dario to do jobs - painting a barn, now doing your watering Jay. If you pop over to mine we can fine wire all the tips of the junipers and a big white pine that needs about half a kilo of copper !

Consider combining organic feed onto the pot with the liquid chemical ones maybe - then you are fertilising a little at every watering, and when it rains too - but That topic is bouncing around in another thread somewhere - Jays acidification thread has a lot of thought provoking info

cheers Marcus

marcus watts
marcus watts

Back to top Go down

Post  wabashene Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:19 pm

I've been using the slow release pellet/cones for 5 years or so that supposedly release a dose each time you water.

They seem to provide a good level of background fertilization with a monthly top up via the watering can if the prolific growth I normally experience is anything to go by..

I put a supply on my Xmas list every year Smile

I use one cone buried in the soil for every 15cm/6 in sq of pot surface area roughly. i.e. a 30 x 15cm/ 1 ft x 6" pot would have 2

Pop 'em in in April and forget about them more or less.

A labour saving suggestion

Thks

TimR
wabashene
wabashene

Back to top Go down

Post  Poink88 Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:37 pm

marcus watts wrote:
haha, everyone wants Dario to do jobs - painting a barn, now doing your watering Jay. If you pop over to mine we can fine wire all the tips of the junipers and a big white pine that needs about half a kilo of copper !
Marcus, I didn't see that one about painting a barn Embarassed If you are close and willing to train me how to wire...I would gladly do it. Not sure you want me to touch any of your trees just yet though.

Jay, As above, if you are close, I will be there in a heartbeat...watering and picking your brain LOL. Of course I would bring what I owe you as well. Wink I am putting the watering can in my ever growing "wish list".

To reduce my fertilizing, I might try using the slow release Osmokote granules I already have anyway (maybe just put half the recommended dose for now and see how it goes). I am sure come summer, I will need to water daily or every other day at the most.

Thanks guys!
Poink88
Poink88

Back to top Go down

Post  coh Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:58 pm

marcus watts wrote:haha, everyone wants Dario to do jobs - painting a barn, now doing your watering Jay. If you pop over to mine we can fine wire all the tips of the junipers and a big white pine that needs about half a kilo of copper !

cheers Marcus
Actually, I made the barn painting comment to Marcus in his "why did i start this!" thread. He's just trying to push it onto Dario. But either of you are welcome to do it!
coh
coh

Back to top Go down

Post  marcus watts Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:20 am

coh wrote:
marcus watts wrote:haha, everyone wants Dario to do jobs - painting a barn, now doing your watering Jay. If you pop over to mine we can fine wire all the tips of the junipers and a big white pine that needs about half a kilo of copper !

cheers Marcus
Actually, I made the barn painting comment to Marcus in his "why did i start this!" thread. He's just trying to push it onto Dario. But either of you are welcome to do it!

haha, yes I am......... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy The art of delagation is a skill i'm practicing. As to wiring Dario of course you could work on my tree with me if you were in the UK. I usually start someone off on their first ever wiring session with a pruned off branch and aluminium so they can move the branch and the wire easier, then it is better to jump straight in the deep end and work a pine branch that has plenty of side shoots. In the early days I was allowed to learn on the normal 'for sale' trees of the local bonsai nursery as I did one day a week helping there for free (just a good discount rate on purchases), then after a few years I used to do some of the show trees and specimen imports. There is actually no difference in wiring a £50 tree or a £5000 tree, just the initial butterflys and excitement to overcome, then its a case of getting on with it.

cheers everyone,

Marcus
marcus watts
marcus watts

Back to top Go down

Best hose end sprayer for fertilizing. Empty Tank Type Sprayer

Post  deanoaz Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:16 pm

I am fairly new to this forum, but I have to agree with Billy to say that I have had good success with a tank-type sprayer.
Smile
deanoaz
deanoaz

Back to top Go down

Post  Poink88 Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:53 pm

deanoaz wrote:I am fairly new to this forum, but I have to agree with Billy to say that I have had good success with a tank-type sprayer.
Smile
Most of my plants are in 12 qt training containers (or bigger) and I am afraid tank type sprayer would be too slow for me. I will continue using my watering can when fertilizing for now. Thanks!
Poink88
Poink88

Back to top Go down

Post  crust Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:11 am

If you want a quality proven tool use what professional nurserymen use to dispense fertilizers: a fertilizer injector such as made by Dosatron. These things are very accurate and once set up, easy to use. I would get one configured and set up on a cart and be sure to add a pre-filter. Just add your liquid fertilizer (most fert. instructions give appropriate ratio to use) , hook up to water and go. Once done unhook and roll in the corner until next time. They are not cheap though.

crust

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down