Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

stone lantern books

5 posters

Go down

stone lantern books Empty stone lantern books

Post  bucknbonsai Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:51 pm

Hello, I came across stone lanterns sale on books, and as usual my wife has put a limit on "any thing bonsai related" spending. As a result shes probably going to limit me to 2 books, and there are 3 Im looking at. My question is: does anyone know much about the "bonsai styles of the world book", is there really a lot if new information on styles that is not in other classical books? does it have before/after photos and the steps towards making styles such as flat top etc..? What about Robert stevens books (I read sam oranjangas review of mission of transformation) but im curious about vision of my soul book? does the vision of my soul have much tree training pictures or is it all philosophy? Does either book have much photos/tips on techniques of the lignan method or other training tips that are not in more commonly found books? Do they only have information on training giant pemphis material collected from the wild that I will realistically never end up with in Tennessee? Does the shohin book they sell have information that regular bonsai books would not contain (is there really a separate way of doing bonsai/techniques when doing shohin?) thanks
bucknbonsai
bucknbonsai

Back to top Go down

stone lantern books Empty Re: stone lantern books

Post  marcus watts Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:47 am

hi,
i dont think there is one book that takes the reader stage by stage through creating the various styles of tree.- The John Naka volumes go a good job with drawings, Peter adams early books do a good job too - even though these are old the methods are still very valid. I have found the very best 'method' books on stone lantern site are the masters pines, masters juniper and masters satsuki books. These stand out beyond every other book I've read for technique on the three species.

I am familiar with the second two books you ask about and its fair to say they dont have much in the way of step by step instruction - Obviously Roberts book majors on the species he has around him so there is not much variety covered - but to be fair it is more of a 'make you look at your own trees and think' type of book, with mostly before and after coverage rather than showing the path between the two. A good book if you want a degree of realism in your compositions

Shohin has subtle technique differences mostly in timing, but growing shohin isnt very different - more attention to detail, watering and little fingers are usefull Very Happy. The best up to date Bonsai inforrmation I'm finding these days comes from the blogs and films made by japanese nursery apprentices - Peter Tea, Bonsai tonight, the Bonsai Art Japan team etc etc.

cheers Marcus - at least tthe stone lantern books are a nice price - i still get them cheaper with shipping direct than i can buy them here.

marcus watts
marcus watts

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:43 pm

bucknbonsai wrote:Hello, I came across stone lanterns sale on books, and as usual my wife has put a limit on "any thing bonsai related" spending. As a result shes probably going to limit me to 2 books, and there are 3 Im looking at. My question is: does anyone know much about the "bonsai styles of the world book", is there really a lot if new information on styles that is not in other classical books? does it have before/after photos and the steps towards making styles such as flat top etc..?

No. There is very little "how-to" in this book. It shows pictures (mostly line drawings) of many bonsai styles (but, in the edition I have, not all of them - though I understand there's a new edition). Still it is an interesting and informative book and I refer to it fairly often.

What about Robert stevens books (I read sam oranjangas review of mission of transformation) but im curious about vision of my soul book? does the vision of my soul have much tree training pictures or is it all philosophy? Does either book have much photos/tips on techniques of the lignan method or other training tips that are not in more commonly found books? Do they only have information on training giant pemphis material collected from the wild that I will realistically never end up with in Tennessee?

I don't have any of these. They deal with trees that, generally speaking, I have no specific interest in. The trees themselves are stunningly beautiful.

Does the shohin book they sell have information that regular bonsai books would not contain (is there really a separate way of doing bonsai/techniques when doing shohin?)

I assume that is Morton's book. It is excellent. But yes, there are many techniques that are the same for all size bonsai. Still, it is much tougher to make a 10-inch tree look old and venerable than to do the same for a 3 or 4 foot tree.

I'm not sure of your bonsai skill level, but in MY humble opinion, Deborah Koreshoff's book, Bonsai: Its Art, Science, History and Philosophy is the one book any would-be maker of bonsai should own. Unfortunately, it is only available used, since some idiot let it go out of print. The cheapest price I've seen lately for it used is $60.

JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  marcus watts Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:32 pm

JimLewis wrote:
I'm not sure of your bonsai skill level, but in MY humble opinion, Deborah Koreshoff's book, Bonsai: Its Art, Science, History and Philosophy is the one book any would-be maker of bonsai should own. Unfortunately, it is only available used, since some idiot let it go out of print. The cheapest price I've seen lately for it used is $60.

what an excelent writeup Jim, I just checked the bookshelf and have a copy of this in excelent condition. I'd happilly let it go if anyone wants it but am in UK so shipping etc would apply. Just pm me if anyone is interested.

regards Marcus
marcus watts
marcus watts

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:24 pm

Well, I wouldn't give mine up for love or money.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Fore Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:39 pm

What makes this book so special?

1. It is well written, an ofttimes unusual thing in and of itself.
2. It lives up to every word in its title.
3. It is very complete (assuming the word "very" even belongs in front of "complete").
Fore
Fore

Back to top Go down

Post  Fore Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:07 pm

Very Strange, I asked the question, and someone answered it in my post. Never seen that before.

Either way, Thanks! I've seen this book mentioned several times by very experienced people. I just read issue 106 of Bonsai Today/11/12 2006 it was listed for sale for $45. Now $234 new. Wow. But a hardback like new for $50 w/ shipping isn't bad. I'll order one.
Fore
Fore

Back to top Go down

Post  GrumpyOldMan Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:36 pm

bucknbonsai wrote: as usual my wife has put a limit on "any thing bonsai related" spending. As a result shes probably going to limit me to 2 books, and there are 3 Im looking at.
I really hope that it works two ways and you put a limit on "anything handbag or shoe related". Limit her two two of each as there are probably 300 she is looking at.

Ian.
GrumpyOldMan
GrumpyOldMan

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down