Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cherry wood tokonoma

+2
dick benbow
Hank Miller
6 posters

Go down

Cherry wood tokonoma Empty Cherry wood tokonoma

Post  Hank Miller Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:52 pm

A small two piece cherry tokonoma I designed to fit on a standard utility table often used for exhibitions. I thought it might be nice to display trees at home, Enjoy. Hank

Cherry wood tokonoma Tokn1610

Hank Miller
Hank Miller

Back to top Go down

Cherry wood tokonoma Empty Re: Cherry wood tokonoma

Post  dick benbow Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:16 am

very attractive! thanks for sharing.

One question I might ask, is having both sides shoji the same, what is needed, or should there be an indication of light (window) to that the tree and other elements might be better positioned?
dick benbow
dick benbow

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:18 am

Hi Hank Miller

This is a nice little display Smile.

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Kempinski Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:21 pm

Very nice craftsmanship.

However, I wouldn't call it a tokonoma, more like a shoji screen backdrop. Still nice though.
Rob Kempinski
Rob Kempinski

Back to top Go down

Post  Kakejiku Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:51 pm

However, I wouldn't call it a tokonoma, more like a shoji screen backdrop. Still nice though.

I agree with the quality, it is very beautiful, but was going to say the sentiment above last night, but didn't want to sound like I am sometimes perceived on the site.
I would have gone further to call it a 席飾り Seki Kazari. The 障子 shoji are nicely done...and would like to know more about it.

Kakejiku
Kakejiku

Back to top Go down

Post  Hank Miller Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:30 pm

Thank you for your comments. I was somewhat puzzled about what name to use. It is a shoji screen on a base. The base is 4 foot long. My idea was to create something that could be used to display trees but was not a permanent fixture. When placed on a cabinet or table it provides a nice viewing area rather than an alcove created from a 3 sided box placed on a nice base.
Hank Miller
Hank Miller

Back to top Go down

Post  david g Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:51 pm

felicidades Very Happy me gusta mucho amigo.

saludos

david g

Back to top Go down

Post  Kakejiku Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:02 pm

In order to be a Toko no Ma it has to have certain characteristics. A Toko no Ma is a place to hang a scroll, and even though in bonsai display the scroll is to take a secondary place to the bonsai, it still must be present, along with Ten & Hashira and a light source....

If I can make a recommendation, replace your shoji with a Tori no Ko byoubu and I think it would better show off any bonsai you put in the display.

Kakejiku
Kakejiku

Back to top Go down

Cherry wood tokonoma Empty cherry wood tokonoma

Post  kora Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:26 am

Kakejiku wrote:In order to be a Toko no Ma it has to have certain characteristics. A Toko no Ma is a place to hang a scroll, and even though in bonsai display the scroll is to take a secondary place to the bonsai, it still must be present, along with Ten & Hashira and a light source....

If I can make a recommendation, replace your shoji with a Tori no Ko byoubu and I think it would better show off any bonsai you put in the display.

If I may: what is a Tori no Ko byoubu, and for that matter a Ten&Hashira?
kora

kora

Back to top Go down

Post  Kakejiku Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:19 pm

[/quote]
If I may: what is a Tori no Ko byoubu, and for that matter a Ten&Hashira?
kora[/quote]

鳥の子屏風 Tori no Ko is the reference to the type of paper used for the Byoubu. It is an off white....very simple and elegant. I do not have a picture at the moment, but will try to scan and send in the future.

柱 Hashira are the pillars of the Toko no Ma. Bamboo is on the left and the other wood pillar on the right.
Cherry wood tokonoma Toko_b10
Kakejiku
Kakejiku

Back to top Go down

Cherry wood tokonoma Empty cherry wood tokonoma

Post  kora Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:52 pm

thanks for the partial explanation-still don't know what you mean by ten and Byoubu. It would be helpful to describe items in plain language, as most of us are not familiar with all the Japanese technical words, other than those pertaining to bonsai,kora

kora

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down