Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Big Honeysuckle Progress

+9
coh
Rob Kempinski
Todd Ellis
Levi
Poink88
Neil Jaeger
kauaibonsai
Orion
AndyRutledge
13 posters

Go down

Big Honeysuckle Progress Empty Big Honeysuckle Progress

Post  AndyRutledge Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:45 pm

Our warm winter is causing my honeysuckle to bud out. Despite our devilish summer last year, it has made some development progress.

Big Honeysuckle Progress Lonicera_feb12

And yes that is a face on the deadwood; evidence that this honeysuckle was originally created by my teacher, Nick Lenz.
AndyRutledge
AndyRutledge

Back to top Go down

Big Honeysuckle Progress Empty Re: Big Honeysuckle Progress

Post  Orion Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:55 pm

That's an incredible Honeysuckle, man I love that thing. What would you guess the age is?
Orion
Orion

Back to top Go down

Post  AndyRutledge Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:55 pm

Thanks. I'm afraid I have no idea how old it is. Given the 16" root base, it's likely quite old, but it was collected from the wild in the N.E. US. Here's a photo from this time last year:

Big Honeysuckle Progress Honeysuckle_bud
AndyRutledge
AndyRutledge

Back to top Go down

Post  kauaibonsai Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:19 pm

wow!! thats a trunk

best wishes, sam

kauaibonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  Neil Jaeger Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:51 pm

I love this tree its beautiful. Love to see some flowers. Does it normally bud early now that its home is in texas? Did it bud alot later when it was first brought from the N.E.?

Neil
Neil Jaeger
Neil Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post  Poink88 Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:50 pm

Very nice tree.

Anyone else noticed the face? I think you collected an ENT!!! Wink
Poink88
Poink88

Back to top Go down

Post  Levi Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:47 am

yeah, i noticed the face too. wasn't sure whether it was intentional or not. a bonsai-sized ent... now that's a funny thought.
Levi
Levi

Back to top Go down

Post  Todd Ellis Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:12 pm

Andy,
That's a lovely tree; nicest honeysuckle I have ever seen. How do you treat the deadwood?
I had a large one once and then sold it. I found them to be easy to grow and very forgiving. I'm keeping an I out for a large vine to train Very Happy
Best,
Todd
Todd Ellis
Todd Ellis

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Kempinski Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:26 pm

Looking good Andy. Have you had a mild winter in the DFW area?

Rob Kempinski
Rob Kempinski

Back to top Go down

Post  coh Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:17 pm

That's a nice tree - love the trunk. The only thing I'm not sure I like is the symmetry at the top, the two apical branches seem too similar.

Do you know what species it is?
coh
coh

Back to top Go down

Big Honeysuckle Progress Empty today

Post  abcd Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:31 pm

[img]Big Honeysuckle Progress Futur10[/img]
abcd
abcd

Back to top Go down

Post  AndyRutledge Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:35 pm

Thanks all.

@Neil
Thanks, the flowers are quite small, but very pretty in late spring. It's budding early here because of the temps.

@Rob
We've had a very mild winter. In fact today is the first time we've gotten below 30F this winter. So given our 70sF lately it has gone ahead and budded out. Elms are coming out, too.

@Todd
Thank you. Nicest one I've seen, too, thanks to good ol' Nick. :) Deadwood is treated just as any other, but with more ink added to the mix.

@coh
Thanks. And I agree about the symmetrical branching at the top. The hollow branches make bending dicey and once they get to that size, little can be done. I'm trying to avoid chopping it all back and starting over. In time I should be able to mask the symmetry with the secondary and tertiary structure. Time will tell.

Kind Regards,
Andy
AndyRutledge
AndyRutledge

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael T Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:39 pm

Andy,

I have four acres a woodlands that are littered with literally hundreds of honey suckle (maacki variety). Many of which would be strikingly similar in appearance to yours. Very impressive. I've been searching the net for everything I can learn about them. I will be collecting several in a couple of weeks. Some are leafing out in the sunnier areas, the rest are still dormant.

Do you know what species yours is? Are the leaf tips pointed? Any idea how much rootage was taken when collected? I understand that they can be collected much the same as a willow or olive, i.e., little to no rootage is necessary.

That would make lifting many of the monsters around here easy.

I have many that have massive interesting trunks that I really would like to lift but it would be really hard if I need to take a large root ball. Any thoughts?.

Michael T

Back to top Go down

Post  tanlu Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:15 am

I have no experience with Honeysuckles, but I also have a yard full of them and I'm planning on collecting one this spring. I'm glad people are posting info on them on this thread, but I'm wondering how they take to shoot pruning. I tried cutting back some of the new growth this winter to east collection, but I ended up with dead hollow stems. All I can see is that they put out lots of suckers, but I don't know if they'll behave like a maple or elm by putting buds on the areas they were cut.

T

tanlu

Back to top Go down

Post  Robert Steven Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:17 am

Andy, nice to see you are finally on air again. Nice tree....
Robert Steven
Robert Steven

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down