Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A suitable pot

+7
Klaudia & Martin
alonsou
Ryan B
Rui Marques
Poink88
Todd Ellis
Simo44
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

A suitable pot Empty A suitable pot

Post  Simo44 Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:31 pm

Hi everyone. My first post here.

I have a Yamadori Larch that needs a new pot this year. What style would suit this tree?

A suitable pot Larch10

Simo44

Back to top Go down

A suitable pot Empty Re: A suitable pot

Post  Todd Ellis Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:43 pm

The best pot for this tree is in my backyard on this side of the pond. Very Happy
I am thinking an oval unglazed with nail heads.... and the two lowest branches raised and pruned back some.
Todd
Todd Ellis
Todd Ellis

Back to top Go down

Post  Poink88 Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:06 pm

Todd Ellis wrote:The best pot for this tree is in my backyard on this side of the pond. Very Happy
Todd, Are you offering him your pot? Wink LOL

Very nice tree BTW.
Poink88
Poink88

Back to top Go down

Post  Rui Marques Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:57 pm

I like the tree very much, also. Love to have one, or similar.. Very Happy
Rui Marques
Rui Marques

Back to top Go down

Post  Todd Ellis Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:31 pm

No Dario, ... just want him to send the tree over here Smile
My other thoughts were to plant this on a special rock; Walter Pall's blog has some great photos of conifers on stone.
Todd Ellis
Todd Ellis

Back to top Go down

Post  Simo44 Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:40 pm

Todd Ellis wrote:No Dario, ... just want him to send the tree over here Smile
My other thoughts were to plant this on a special rock; Walter Pall's blog has some great photos of conifers on stone.

On a rock? Can't see it myself Rolling Eyes

Simo44

Back to top Go down

Post  Poink88 Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:52 pm

Todd Ellis wrote:No Dario, ... just want him to send the tree over here Smile
I know...isn't that the ultimate compliment? Smile
Poink88
Poink88

Back to top Go down

Post  Ryan B Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:00 pm

I think a thin stone slab 20% or so longer than the width of the canopy would look great. I also think a sft rectangle with small lip and cloud feet would look great.

Ryan B

Back to top Go down

Post  alonsou Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:08 pm

This is how I would like to see it.

A suitable pot R8Ckal
alonsou
alonsou

Back to top Go down

Post  Simo44 Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:13 pm

alonsou wrote:This is how I would like to see it.

A suitable pot R8Ckal

That looks pretty good. I was thinking something round or oval with a natural finish. The tree has great bark, would a rough finish compliment it?

Thanks for the wonderful virtual!

Simo44

Back to top Go down

Post  Klaudia & Martin Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:20 pm

Hello Simo

What a nice larch you have got!
What do you think about a more natural pot?
I've done a quick virtual....maybe you like it.

Kind regards
Martin

A suitable pot Larchv11

A suitable pot 1711ib11
Klaudia & Martin
Klaudia & Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  Simo44 Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:06 pm

Thanks for the virt Martin.

Interesting choice. Personally, I am not a big fan of primatives, other than for a tall and thin Bunjin.

Simo44

Back to top Go down

Post  Jesse Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:09 pm

Wow, I like that pot Martin. Not my first choice with that exact tree; but, I think that is exceptional. You made it? Makes me want to get a tree to fit that pot, haha.
Jesse
Jesse

Back to top Go down

Post  Klaudia & Martin Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:38 pm

Hello Simo

Well, only your taste is important!

@Jesse
You made it? Makes me want to get a tree to fit that pot, haha.
Thank you! Yes I made it. You can see a few more here.

https://ibonsaiclub.forumotion.com/t3701-martin-s-pots

Kind regards
Martin
Klaudia & Martin
Klaudia & Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  marcus watts Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:11 am

hi,
here is a pot that was made for my black pine - nice texture to pick up the bark and it works with the larch bark too.

Pot made by erin, well worth looking to them for excelent textured pots - i have a couple now for trees with nice bark - and as mentioned once in the post already the bottom branches are too long for the powerful image from the rest of the tree so here is a pic with them shorter - makes the tree look bigger i think

cheers Marcus

A suitable pot Untitl11
marcus watts
marcus watts

Back to top Go down

Post  Simo44 Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:23 am

marcus watts wrote:hi,
here is a pot that was made for my black pine - nice texture to pick up the bark and it works with the larch bark too.

Pot made by erin, well worth looking to them for excelent textured pots - i have a couple now for trees with nice bark - and as mentioned once in the post already the bottom branches are too long for the powerful image from the rest of the tree so here is a pic with them shorter - makes the tree look bigger i think

cheers Marcus

A suitable pot Untitl11

Hi Marcus.
Thanks for the virt.

The pot, I love, maybe a bit dark for a larch?...it looks good for the tree with the texture. I was originally thinking round or oval, but a soft rectangle seems to work.

Chopping back the bottom branches doesn't work for me. it makes the whole tree now look top heavy. I agree something is wrong, but if you saw that left hand primary branch in the flesh you would not want to loose it! Maybe the problem lies with that lower right branch. I find it too straight and all on one plane.

Paul Finch styled this tree for me. He is a big fan of it and asked that if I ever sell, that he gets first refusal. Yamadori Chuin Larches like this seem quite rare.

Simo44

Back to top Go down

Post  marcus watts Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:01 am

Hi again,
here is a quick play with ps on the pot - there is the original, a red/brown and a light brown tint all side by side - I fully can see what you mean about the branches - but i thing one powerfull dropping branch would be better than one each side - it is the right one that doesnt gell with the rest of the tree i think.

A suitable pot Pot310

cheers Marcus
marcus watts
marcus watts

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:58 am

HI Simon, Paul (great artist) has done a truly lovely job on this larch... and he is correct when he says that are rarely seen... or as good as this. These virtuals give you a good indication, and a direction. Your next move is to take the tree to a potter (lots here on IBC) or go to a BTA event where there are a few potters, take your tree... and discuss. This is my preferred option as you can get comparisons on quality, price and styles all in one place. Cool

Back to top Go down

Post  Simo44 Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:34 pm

Marcus - thanks for the colour ideas...a bit less red and I think it's there. Infact, I have already spoke with Erin Ceramics.

Hi Tony. That's quiet a compliment for the tree coming from someone with a Yamadori collection such as yours...thank you. Sure, ideal scenario would be to take it to an event with multiple potters showing. I think I'm going to get it into something 'closer' to where it should be this season. Then, if the opportunity arises in the future, I will do as you suggested.

Simo44

Back to top Go down

Post  will baddeley Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:58 pm

Fantastic styling by Paul and I'm sure as the tree evolves, the bottom branches will be resolved. Gordon Duffet is particularly good with bespoke pots and he's not far from you either. Quite expensive but the tree has to be worth it.
will baddeley
will baddeley

Back to top Go down

Post  Simo44 Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:15 am

will baddeley wrote:Fantastic styling by Paul and I'm sure as the tree evolves, the bottom branches will be resolved. Gordon Duffet is particularly good with bespoke pots and he's not far from you either. Quite expensive but the tree has to be worth it.

Hi Will.

I agree Paul is a very talented guy. Both with his real bonsai and clay creations. He has an amazing knack of turning average material into something quite special. He is working on a yamadori Bunjin pine of mine at the moment. Sadly, I have never kept a photographic history of this tree (poor for a full-time photographer!) It's unrecognizable from where it was around 9 years ago. He has even put bends into a thick trunk over the years. I'll post a pic when I get it back.

I haven't seen much of Gordon Duffet's work and didn't know he was located near by - definately need to make the effort and get to a decent size show this year. I'm quite keen on John Pitt's work and have a feeling the final pot for this tree will come from him.

Simo44

Back to top Go down

A suitable pot Empty a suitable pot

Post  bob hill Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:27 pm

hi paul personally i would like to see the larch in a nice round pot(sorry cant do verts yet) china mist make some cracking ones, but not sure if they are still producing them. as for the tree i think you have done a really fantastic job with it,lovely image, great material, in the right hands, well done thumbs up thumbs up bob hill.

bob hill

Back to top Go down

Post  Simo44 Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:38 pm

bob hill wrote:hi paul personally i would like to see the larch in a nice round pot(sorry cant do verts yet) china mist make some cracking ones, but not sure if they are still producing them. as for the tree i think you have done a really fantastic job with it,lovely image, great material, in the right hands, well done thumbs up thumbs up bob hill.

Hello Bob.

I'm Not Paul. He styled the tree for me.

Thanks for suggesting China Mist. I had never heard of them. Seems like they specialize in rounds...and quiet nice ones, at a reasonable price too. I have decided on a soft rectangle from Erin for a first 'bijou' residence for this tree. However, I do have a couple of Scotties in need of new pots this year and may well try China Mist.

Simo44

Back to top Go down

A suitable pot Empty a suitable pot

Post  bob hill Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:29 pm

hi simo, Embarassed sorry about the name mix up(blame the abbots ale mate.) still this reply has give,n me another look at your tree,i love it bob

bob hill

Back to top Go down

Post  Simo44 Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:43 pm

bob hill wrote:hi paul personally i would like to see the larch in a nice round pot(sorry cant do verts yet) china mist make some cracking ones, but not sure if they are still producing them. as for the tree i think you have done a really fantastic job with it,lovely image, great material, in the right hands, well done thumbs up thumbs up bob hill.

I have re-potted the larch into a China Mist pot today. Erin could not get the right finish and size to me in time.

Thanks for suggesting China Mist Bob, the pot is really superb and beautifully made.

Simo44

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next