Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Desert mountain stone

4 posters

Go down

Desert mountain stone Empty Desert mountain stone

Post  Hans Vleugels Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:53 pm

A new stone I picked up at Wolfgang Meinhardt’s stand on the Noelanders trophy XIII 2012…

Desert mountain stone Suiseki5

Desert mountain stone Suiseki4

Desert mountain stone Suiseki1

Desert mountain stone Suiseki2

Desert mountain stone Suiseki3

I am not sure what kind of stone this is, but it looks like some kind of limestone to me, very fragile and brittle. It’s about 22 cm wide, depth is 13 cm, and the height is 7 cm. There are some beautiful color shades on this stone, it makes me think of a very rough hill in a desert area. It only needs some vultures flying around their slowly dying prey, to make me think I am in a desolated area without water, where the sun is burning my skin making me crazy of thirst…

Fortunately I am at home behind my tasty pint of beer… Laughing
Hans Vleugels
Hans Vleugels

Back to top Go down

Desert mountain stone Empty Re: Desert mountain stone

Post  sunip Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:19 pm

Hello Hans,
This side i like best because the mountain top is best placed.
Remembers me of those old cave settlements of the Indians in the dessert.
Sunip Wink
Desert mountain stone Suiseki1

sunip

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:04 pm

Hi Hans

Nice stone and shape...try not to get lost Smile

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  Mnhthu99 Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:23 pm

Stone is beautiful! good choice
_ Ask for more decorated impressive collage, I use Paint very poorly, do not laugh.
Desert mountain stone SieuthiNHANH201201292804mmuwn2zmmz173518
Mnhthu99
Mnhthu99

Back to top Go down

Post  Hans Vleugels Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:40 pm

Thanks for the virtual, now it looks like a tropical island instead of a desert rock... scratch

Well, I mailed the vendor asking some more details about this stone, and it appears to be a ferruginous sandstone coming from South Africa. (So the giraffes are not so stupid uh?) Don't know much about sandstones, but it seems they are composed of quartz. This shows well when I place the stone under light, you can see the very small crystals shine. I have read that sandstone are unlikely to provide any good suiseki, because they aren't hard enough. But I still like the stone. It keeps making me thirsty... cyclops
Hans Vleugels
Hans Vleugels

Back to top Go down

Desert mountain stone Empty Cheers

Post  stonener Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:51 pm

Bottoms up Hans!... Like a Star @ heaven

stonener

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:36 am

Hi ans

Last year dessertstones, Messanines ( dessertmountains) was accepted as suisekimaterial. And is now a categori, in the officiel list of suisekitypes.
It was not said how this kind of stone should be exhibited, but my guess is a suiban with sand. Water somehow makes no sense here.
About the patina...Your stone looks old, and to my understanding, will outdor yoseki not be something the stone need to become better. And if the stone takes no indor-polish. Will I see it as a finished suiseki, with a categori.
Thats not bad a all.

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  Hans Vleugels Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:56 am

Thanks for the info Yvonne.

The vendor told me that if the iron content is higher in a particular sandstone, these rocks are quite hard. I was also thinking of presenting it in a suiban or doban with somewhat darker coloured sand. Maybe even with a very small accent of a few grass haulms...

Here's a picture of a sandstone cliff in the Golden Gate National Park in South-Africa:

Desert mountain stone 9800099-sandstone-rock-golden-gate-national-park-south-africa
Picture by Nico Smit from South Africa
Hans Vleugels
Hans Vleugels

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:02 am

Hi Hans

If you can find sand in the collour of the sand from the photo, will it be awesome...the small grass haulms will be nice next to the sui- or doban. Look forward to see your stone in an exhibition.

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down