Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Help with pot identification

+2
Russell Coker
jersanct
6 posters

Go down

Help with pot identification Empty Help with pot identification

Post  jersanct Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:34 am

I've already checked Ryan's excellent chop and signature database, and I haven't been able to find these three. If any of you pot experts out there could help, I would appreciate it.

Help with pot identification Imag0110

Help with pot identification Imag0111

Help with pot identification Imag0112
jersanct
jersanct

Back to top Go down

Help with pot identification Empty Re: Help with pot identification

Post  Russell Coker Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:02 am

The first one is very close to the chop of Kaiyou Seitou in my old catalog. That's the best I can do.
Russell Coker
Russell Coker

Back to top Go down

Post  Poink88 Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:15 am

Russell Coker wrote:
The first one is very close to the chop of Kaiyou Seitou in my old catalog. That's the best I can do.
Russell,

I think I have a few pots like these also...
Help with pot identification ChopMark-4

Can you tell us more about the maker? I tried Google but came up empty.

Thank you.
Poink88
Poink88

Back to top Go down

Post  Russell Coker Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:56 am

Remember, I said "close"! I don't even know if it's right. As for Kaiyou Seitou, I know nothing about him (her?). And, I have no idea if he goes by a different name. This particular catalog from the 80's has a list of chops with hiragana that I translated. The problem is that some potters go by something else, and I don't know where it comes from. Ryan and I discussed this in a previous thread. The potter "Zenigo" uses 2 chops, one reads "Izumigama" and the other "Senshirinsei". Other chops read "Yamaaki", "Bigei", and "Shibakatsu" - and the potters actually use those names.
Russell Coker
Russell Coker

Back to top Go down

Post  Billy M. Rhodes Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:21 am

The chop on your third pot resembles the chop on some of my pots I know to be Chinese. Is the pot heavy?
Billy M. Rhodes
Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

Post  Ryan B Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:40 pm

The second pot is Tosui, and upside down. Russell and I discussed the 1st Chop in another thread. It looks very much like Kaiyou, but not identical to the other chops I've seen. In any case, whoever the maker, this is definitely a Tokoname pot of the same stripe as Kaiyou. Kaiyou, like Sankyou and Toushou, is a kiln unasscociated with a named potter. These production kilns employ potters to make molded pots, as does Yamaaki and some other large kilns that make both production grade and higher quality pottery. These potters are akin to studio musicians, clay hands for hire.
I can't make out the third Chop at all though.
Ryan
http://japanesebonsaipots.net/

Last edited by Ryan B on Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:41 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Misspell)

Ryan B

Back to top Go down

Post  Mnhthu99 Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:45 am

As I got to the red of China, while the remaining ones are also difficult to identify, but you must take a new look with different eyes defined. Thank!
Mnhthu99
Mnhthu99

Back to top Go down

Post  Ryan B Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:03 am

So. Since this is the second time this stamp has come up as a subject for debate, I contacted Mr Takeyoshi at the Tokoname Yuyaku,
"I can read it "Made in Kaiyou".
But the stamp is diferent.
It may be old one(stamp)."
So it appears the stamp is, in fact, Kaiyou.

Ryan B

Back to top Go down

Post  Mnhthu99 Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:33 am

Ryan B wrote:So. Since this is the second time this stamp has come up as a subject for debate, I contacted Mr Takeyoshi at the Tokoname Yuyaku,
"I can read it "Made in Kaiyou".
But the stamp is diferent.
It may be old one(stamp)."
So it appears the stamp is, in fact, Kaiyou.
Thank you so much about your comments, I learn lots of good things in this article. thank!
Mnhthu99
Mnhthu99

Back to top Go down

Post  jersanct Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:50 am

Billy M. Rhodes wrote:The chop on your third pot resembles the chop on some of my pots I know to be Chinese. Is the pot heavy?

Hello Billy...the third one is a very small pot...it may very well be heavy for its size, but it's so small that I don't know if I could really make an accurate judgment. Is your pot also small?
jersanct
jersanct

Back to top Go down

Post  jersanct Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:57 am

Thank you, everyone, for taking the time to help me with these pots. Ryan, I especially appreciate you speaking to Mr. Takeyoshi about the Kaiyou pot. I also am glad that you were able to use a few of my pots for your database.

Would you want to guess at an age for the Kaiyou?

And I'm sorry for the poor quality of the third photo. The mark itself is fairly faint, anyway.
jersanct
jersanct

Back to top Go down

Post  Billy M. Rhodes Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:33 am

jersanct wrote:
Billy M. Rhodes wrote:The chop on your third pot resembles the chop on some of my pots I know to be Chinese. Is the pot heavy?

Hello Billy...the third one is a very small pot...it may very well be heavy for its size, but it's so small that I don't know if I could really make an accurate judgment. Is your pot also small?

When I say heavy, I mean thick walls and bottom. The ones I have are yellow clay, but unglazed. They are larger 12 or more inches across, and round.
Billy M. Rhodes
Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down