Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Overwintering of Premna

3 posters

Go down

Overwintering of Premna Empty Overwintering of Premna

Post  Zuzana Tink Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:15 pm

Hello,
I would like to ask those whose native plant the Premna is, or those who grow it for more years. How conditions does it need to overwinter succesfully? I live in Europe, in the part with cold winter, so I cannot overwinter it outside. What temperature is optimal for it please? I have it in an ordinary room near the window with temps over 20, but I am afraid it doesnt like the dry air from floor heating. I have the possibility to overwinter it on the window in the room with no heating with tems to 15 °Celsia. Would it be better or should I keep it where it is for this season and try the colder place next year?
Thank you very much.
Regards,
Zuzana

Zuzana Tink

Back to top Go down

Overwintering of Premna Empty Re: Overwintering of Premna

Post  Rob Kempinski Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:52 am

It doesn't like cold weather and will die if frozen. I grow mine outside but Ive heard reports that it doesn't do well indoors so perhaps you should considered some other species.
Rob Kempinski
Rob Kempinski

Back to top Go down

Post  Poink88 Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:59 am

If it is small, you can put it in an aquarium (works like a greenhouse) where humidity can be increased and can be placed indoors. You can also artificially light it with grow lights (6500K).
Poink88
Poink88

Back to top Go down

Post  Zuzana Tink Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:02 pm

Thank you for the advices, I hope it will stay alive during the winter where it is now, and when the weather will be hot enough it will go out with other bonsai. For now, it is still green, and has the new shoots, so I hope it will prosper. But I will think about adding the lights and wetting the air.
Thanks.

Zuzana Tink

Back to top Go down

Post  Poink88 Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:16 pm

If you are really in a bind, you can also put a clear plastic bag over the foliage. It will help keep humidity up for the leaves.
Poink88
Poink88

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down