Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

white spots on ash

3 posters

Go down

white spots on ash Empty white spots on ash

Post  adam1234 Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:10 pm

Hello,

I have an ash (Fraxinus excelsior) stump which I am trying to bonsai. It is a long way from anything decent. I recently choped the top and noticed these white spots which come off when I use a soft brush. I have not seen any bugs about the tree and the foliage was fine but just wondered whether it was some disease or some bug that had hatched. Anyone know what these white spots are?

white spots on ash White_10

white spots on ash Ash_st10

white spots on ash Ash_st11

adam1234

Back to top Go down

white spots on ash Empty White spots on Ash

Post  bonsaisr Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:15 pm

It is hard to translate bugs from the other side of the ocean, but it looks like some kind of scale. Use a dormant spray, which you can get from the local garden centre. Watch the tree in the spring to see if you need a follow-up.
Iris
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

white spots on ash Empty Re: white spots on ash

Post  drgonzo Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:04 pm

bonsaisr wrote:It is hard to translate bugs from the other side of the ocean, but it looks like some kind of scale. Use a dormant spray, which you can get from the local garden centre. Watch the tree in the spring to see if you need a follow-up.
Iris

I waited for someone else to take the point on this and I agree with Iris, it actually looks a bit like Beech scale, because they look whitish. Beech scale also effects Ash and walnut. I would manually remove every last one, check your other trees to make sure no one migrated around and as Iris said a dormant oil, I use Neem at double strength.
-Jay
drgonzo
drgonzo

Back to top Go down

Post  adam1234 Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:29 pm

I have put more close up pictures. The point where the trunk has been chopped appears ro be discoloured. Could the beech scale have caused that too?
white spots on ash Sdc17112

white spots on ash Sdc17113

adam1234

Back to top Go down

Post  drgonzo Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:12 pm

I'm not really sure its beech scale per-se but its probably a scale of some sort, I doubt its the source of the discoloration your seeing in the heart wood of the tree. Did you seal that trunk cut?
-Jay

drgonzo
drgonzo

Back to top Go down

Post  adam1234 Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:16 pm

drgonzo wrote: Did you seal that trunk cut?
-Jay

Not yet, I just chopped it today. I stopped to investigate when I saw the white spots and the discolouration.

adam1234

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down