Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What do you think about this?

+11
Damienindesert
Russell Coker
bumblebee
Billy M. Rhodes
Tom Simonyi
Randy_Davis
landerloos
marcus watts
drgonzo
bonsaisr
Jesse McMahon
15 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

What do you think about this? - Page 3 Empty What do you think about this?

Post  bonsaisr Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:57 pm

Ha ha. Razz So much for the feather duster worm.
Back to the palm tree. Mine was purchased from a garden center. The trunk has fattened a little. It has grown about 1-2" (2-4 cm) in height in 20 years.
The discussion about palm trees has centered mainly on the definition of what a bonsai IS. We haven't discussed it from the point of view of what a bonsai DOES. Suppose my tree is in a club show and somebody walks up to it and says, "Hey, this reminds me of date palms I saw in California."
The tree is doing a bonsai job. Is it still not a bonsai?
Iris
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

What do you think about this? - Page 3 Empty Re: What do you think about this?

Post  Randy_Davis Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:18 pm

bonsaisr wrote:Ha ha. Razz So much for the feather duster worm.
Back to the palm tree. Mine was purchased from a garden center. The trunk has fattened a little. It has grown about 1-2" (2-4 cm) in height in 20 years.
The discussion about palm trees has centered mainly on the definition of what a bonsai IS. We haven't discussed it from the point of view of what a bonsai DOES. Suppose my tree is in a club show and somebody walks up to it and says, "Hey, this reminds me of date palms I saw in California."
The tree is doing a bonsai job. Is it still not a bonsai?
Iris

Iris,

In fact it is doing the job! and should be consiered bonsai. There are some parts of the world where palms are the predominant trees in the environment. Many parts of the Middle East and Northern Africa's imagry is clearly that of the Palm Tree. The fact that horticulturally it's not a true woody tree with branches is rather a weak reason to casually cast them onto the rubbish heap of bonsai rejects. In the same way that the japanese use persimmon as a fall display tree to reflect upon the bounty of nature, so too would a hanging bunch of dates to those who depend upon them for their bounty. They would also reflect upon the cultural history of the parts of the world where they grow. Not to consider them, and other candidates as well, is a rejection of the diversity of our natural world and that's a sad commentary on a hobby that's supposed to be celebrating the natural wonders of our world.

For those reading this thread where Canary Island date palms grow (In the US that is) I would love to get a few more seeds so I could have a few more to work on for a multi-tree display. I'd gladly pay the postage!
Randy_Davis
Randy_Davis

Back to top Go down

Post  Randy_Davis Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:20 pm

All,

Since Iris had the gumption to post an image of her palm, I guess I should at least post one of mine since it's probably the only one that's in training. Now, I'll grant you it looks nothing like what I envision as finished tree ready for the dance but it's slowly getting there. It can't be sped up and trimmed, shaped, trunk chopped etc... it must be left alone to develop a taller trunk which will only happen over time. This particular tree is around 7-8 years out from a seedling and the fronds are still a bit long but that's only because it helps speed up the trunk hight. I don't have a lot to time left so speed is of the essence. Still however, you can see the next set of fronds that will be produced next year will be smaller yet and should remain in the 8-10" range from here on out.
What do you think about this? - Page 3 P_cana10
Randy_Davis
Randy_Davis

Back to top Go down

What do you think about this? - Page 3 Empty what do you think about this?

Post  bonsaisr Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:02 pm

Phoenix canariensis is naturalized in California and Florida, so seeds should be plentiful.
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum