Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

poll: do you sterilise all your bonsai tools

+6
Norma
drgonzo
dick benbow
PaulH
JimLewis
marcus watts
10 posters

Go down

do you sterilise your tools

poll: do you sterilise all your bonsai tools Vote1109%poll: do you sterilise all your bonsai tools Vote310 9% 
[ 5 ]
poll: do you sterilise all your bonsai tools Vote11012%poll: do you sterilise all your bonsai tools Vote310 12% 
[ 7 ]
poll: do you sterilise all your bonsai tools Vote11016%poll: do you sterilise all your bonsai tools Vote310 16% 
[ 9 ]
poll: do you sterilise all your bonsai tools Vote1107%poll: do you sterilise all your bonsai tools Vote310 7% 
[ 4 ]
poll: do you sterilise all your bonsai tools Vote11019%poll: do you sterilise all your bonsai tools Vote310 19% 
[ 11 ]
poll: do you sterilise all your bonsai tools Vote11037%poll: do you sterilise all your bonsai tools Vote310 37% 
[ 21 ]

Total Votes : 57

poll: do you sterilise all your bonsai tools Empty poll: do you sterilise all your bonsai tools

Post  marcus watts Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:17 am

the trident thread got me thinking - who actually sterilises all the tools they use to cut or carve into their trees ? do some only sterilise a few of their tools but not do them all ie carving bits, power tool heads, chain saw chains !! . how about workshop teachers - do you sterilise every tool between moving from one persons tree to the next - i've seen many demos, workshops etc and never seen any sterilising going on.

or do you believe it is not neccessary?

cheers Marcus
marcus watts
marcus watts

Back to top Go down

poll: do you sterilise all your bonsai tools Empty Re: poll: do you sterilise all your bonsai tools

Post  Guest Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:17 am

Hi Marcus

I need a option for the poll...yes, but not every time.

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

poll: do you sterilise all your bonsai tools Empty Re: poll: do you sterilise all your bonsai tools

Post  JimLewis Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:37 pm

And I need another: Yes, after working on a tree that I suspect may be diseased.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  PaulH Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:34 pm

My answer is the same as Jim's. Only if I've worked on a sick tree.
PaulH
PaulH

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:47 pm

Hi people.

I got this question. If the tree is "sick" (and I think most of the time it is just neglected or weaken) Is it like people or animal that has some sort of transferable virus that can be transmitted via the use of tools?. I think (just I think) most of the plant deceases are gene based and if pest is the reason pesticide is the answer, and most likely would be transfered to other trees in the same garden with or without the use of the same tools.

...Just curious.

This is the reason I answered never or never will.

regards,
jun Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  dick benbow Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:15 pm

I never did till I started volunteering at the Weyerhauser collection, where it is done after each job is complete before starting on the next. I've carried that over now to my own trees. I use a pint sized spray jar that is 90%
water and 10% alcohol. i use the alcohol that is the highest percentage, if i remember correctly it is 98%?
curious to find what others use to sterilize their tools?
dick benbow
dick benbow

Back to top Go down

Post  marcus watts Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:43 pm

Yvonne Graubaek wrote:Hi Marcus

Kind regards Yvonne

hello Yvonne, this is option 2 i think....yes, but just once in a while Very Happy

thanks, marcus

i tried to do an edit to add jims option but i dont think it will let me add another catagory, sorry, so the vote for that is still option 2, yes but once in a while (ie just when you suspect a tree)

For the last 24 years i never have sterilized a tool but I do a few club visits and demos so it would be a good practice to do so when working on other peoples trees i think, just to safeguard someone elses tree. it would be such a shame to transfer something ?? from one members tree to another. For that reason i have voted no, but will consider it in the future.

like jun i dont quite know what diseases would pass on tools - bacterial diseases i imagine, and actual physical spores too, so plenty of reason to do it. i'd use a baby sterilising product i think - like Milton fluid as it kills bacteria, fungal spores, viruses etc - as a dip between trees on demos would be the way. I'm not sure that diluted alcohol would do that much as water carries loads of bacteria once its exposed to the air, pure alcohol would be the stuff needed

thanks for the responses,

marcus
marcus watts
marcus watts

Back to top Go down

Post  drgonzo Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:34 pm

One of the marks of a good Arborist or tree surgeon is the little spray bottle of 10% bleach he has hanging from his tool belt, used after each cut, even if its going from branch to branch on the same tree. With a quick wipe of each tool before use and boy does it ever look professional. I attended a class at Cornell in apple tree pruning and the instructor gave a quick spray every time he moved from one tree to the next.

I clean my concave and spherical cutters after I cut anything harvested from the woodlands behind my house until I'm fairly sure its healthy then I don't bother too much, actually that Trident thread reminded me to clean everything with Isopropyl yesterday, and so I did.
-Jay
drgonzo
drgonzo

Back to top Go down

Post  Norma Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:46 pm

I do make an effort to spray Lysol on the tools I use after each tree; a tip passed on by a visiting master to our study group. One of the guys hated the smell of the original Lysol so we switched to a scented. It's easier to handle than alcohol and who knows whether it works but none of my bonsai have become infected after cutting.

Also tools are cleaned after every trimming session; 17 years with my original tools! And sharpened at least 2x during growing season!

Best regards,
Norma

Norma
Norma

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:50 pm

Diseases such as Phytophthora, Fusarium, and Verticillum are transmittable via tools. None of them have an easy cure, so prevention is the best option.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Mitch Thomas Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:54 pm

I usually use denatured alcohol in a spray bottle in beetween different students trees at lecture demos. At home I have a container in the green house with Liquid anti bacterial dish soap I leave tools in. Oh yea especially when prepairing air layers or grafting.

Mitch

Mitch Thomas

Back to top Go down

Post  sassa Sat Dec 03, 2011 9:05 am

It is a bit complicated to sterilise your bonsai tools, so I only disinfect them with high percent alcohol.

Bye

sassa

Back to top Go down

Post  lordy Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:09 pm

Norma wrote:I do make an effort to spray Lysol on the tools I use after each tree; a tip passed on by a visiting master to our study group. One of the guys hated the smell of the original Lysol so we switched to a scented. It's easier to handle than alcohol and who knows whether it works but none of my bonsai have become infected after cutting.
I use the same protocol, probably recommended by the same person. Makes sense to me. He showed a black center of a branch that was cut off and said that the disease that made the wood black can infect other cuts, even on the same tree. I want to say he spritzed the cutter each time he made a cut.
lordy
lordy

Back to top Go down

Post  sunip Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:59 am

[quote="Yvonne Graubaek"]Hi Marcus

I dip my tools in alcohol and wipe them with clean tissue paper after each tree but
not always.
Like when i am cutting young tridents of the same batch it does not happen after each tree.
This is certainly not option 2 i think, so Ivonne has a point there.
Sunip Wink

sunip

Back to top Go down

Post  sunip Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:03 am

Hello,
What about a poll on washing hands in between working on different trees?
Sunip Wink

sunip

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down