Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mugho Pine "Valley Cushion"

4 posters

Go down

Mugho Pine "Valley Cushion" Empty Mugho Pine "Valley Cushion"

Post  ang3lfir3 Sun Nov 27, 2011 3:58 am

This is a Mugho Pine "Valley Cushion" with a decent trunk and lots of excellent movement... the tree was started for bonsai and was grown from a cutting (no grafts here) .... it is about 15 yrs old or so...

This is how it looked when I got it home ....

Mugho Pine "Valley Cushion" DewireMughoBefore

After about an hour of mayhem....

Mugho Pine "Valley Cushion" DewireMughoAfter

as always comments are welcome.... thinking this will look good in a dark redish brown unglazed pot maybe with a lip maybe?
ang3lfir3
ang3lfir3

Back to top Go down

Mugho Pine "Valley Cushion" Empty Re: Mugho Pine "Valley Cushion"

Post  dick benbow Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:54 pm

when you get it wired you'll have to share with us your styling. Very Happy
dick benbow
dick benbow

Back to top Go down

Post  AlainK Sun Nov 27, 2011 4:55 pm

That's a very interesting tree you've got, and a very good start with it.

Before thinkling of a pot, I'd adapt it first in a training container to see how it behaves.

If it's like other cultivars, it will backbud and you will be able to shorten the branches without contorting them with wire to make it look more compact.
AlainK
AlainK

Back to top Go down

Post  my nellie Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:17 pm

ang3lfir3 wrote: ... ... and was grown from a cutting (no grafts here) .... it is about 15 yrs old or so... ... ...
I could have never imagined that pines can be propagated from cuttings Rolling Eyes
I think this tree gives you enough possibilities.
my nellie
my nellie

Back to top Go down

Post  ang3lfir3 Sun Nov 27, 2011 6:47 pm

dick benbow wrote:when you get it wired you'll have to share with us your styling. Very Happy

Yes of course Smile ... tho that won't be for awhile... this tree needs a little time to recover from the mayhem Smile [plus I am working on wiring out another Korean Hornbeam which will take a few days]

ang3lfir3
ang3lfir3

Back to top Go down

Post  ang3lfir3 Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:00 pm

my nellie wrote:I could have never imagined that pines can be propagated from cuttings Rolling Eyes
ok well what I know is that the tree is not grafted .... so take that for what it is worth... Smile and yes the tree is full of lots of options...

AlainK wrote:
Before thinkling of a pot, I'd adapt it first in a training container to see how it behaves.

If it's like other cultivars, it will backbud and you will be able to shorten the branches without contorting them with wire to make it look more compact.

Thank you I agree that hopefully it will pop back radically .... we'll see... as to not worrying about a pot... well let's just say I have no plans on putting it in a bonsai pot ne time in the near future... I like to think of possible pots which can help we envision a completed bonsai that much more... and I LOVE pots almost as much as I love bonsai... so its fun Smile

I also realized that since most people here don't know me (there are a few who do) that this post might have seemed pretty bonsai noob-ish .... while I am still young in my time in the art [4yrs] ... I would hope that I have evolved past most of the initial bonsai beginner sillyness Smile [I hope]

Thanks for the comments Smile .... pines aren't really my thing ... I get enough working on them at Elandan so this is kind of rare for me Smile
ang3lfir3
ang3lfir3

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down