Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Spotty Myrtle

4 posters

Go down

Spotty Myrtle Empty Spotty Myrtle

Post  Guest Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:44 am

These spots started to appear on my Myrtle about 3 months ago... they are NOT water droplets that have acted as a magnifying glass and 'burned' holes in the leaves (as has been suggested) as the spots also appear on the inside leaves that get no sun!...they may be insect caused? any ideas and how to make it stop.

Spotty Myrtle Img_0210

Spotty Myrtle Img_0211

Back to top Go down

Spotty Myrtle Empty Re: Spotty Myrtle

Post  Mitch Thomas Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:55 pm

Hey Tony
Not sure but it looks fungal to me. If it was only on new growth I would say it was varmit.

Mitch

Mitch Thomas

Back to top Go down

Post  Billy M. Rhodes Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:04 pm

From Kyoto, Japan

I agree about the fungal idea. The water spot thing is a myth.
Billy M. Rhodes
Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Fri Nov 25, 2011 12:29 pm

Yes. It is a rust. I know little about myrtles, so cannot say which rust, but orange spots on leaves (and circular bulls eyes) are clear identifiers.

At least destroy every leaf, and do not allow water to get on the leaves. Segregate the plant from others, especially when you water as rust spores are often spread in water droplets.

Various fungicides attack rusts. Read the label.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Nov 25, 2011 12:50 pm

JimLewis wrote:Yes. It is a rust. I know little about myrtles, so cannot say which rust, but orange spots on leaves (and circular bulls eyes) are clear identifiers.

At least destroy every leaf, and do not allow water to get on the leaves. Segregate the plant from others, especially when you water as rust spores are often spread in water droplets.

Various fungicides attack rusts. Read the label.

Gosh... thanks Jim... I must in effect defoliate the tree as they are on 90% of the tree!

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Fri Nov 25, 2011 12:53 pm

As I say, I know little (read: nothing) about myrtles. If that would threaten the tree, or if this is a terrible time to do that, at least segregate the tree. The rust is unlikely to kill the tree.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  mr treevolution Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:43 pm

Looks like a Fungal Spot, probobly peculiar to myrtus but looks similar to one that attacks azaleas and rhododendrons.
Can take over and defoliate tree for you! Best thing would be to thin out worst and keep on removing bad ones after that until it fades.Spraying would be a waste of time.
Also would keep away from any others if you have any.
Regards Nick

mr treevolution

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down