Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Untimely transplant...

5 posters

Go down

Untimely transplant... Empty Untimely transplant...

Post  Phillip W. Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:57 am

My co worker gave me 3 Acer Palmatums (Dissectum). The only stipulation was that I had to dig them today.
So I did. They are normal plastic pots (the kind you get when you buy a new plant) with some average
potting soil mix. It was all I had on hand. Id like to keep them alive primarily. I'm wondering if I should
keep them in the small plastic pots until spring, and then re-pot them in appropriate trainining pots, or can I
aquire new pots this week and re-pot them now. Would that be to much stress?

Phillip

Phillip W.

Back to top Go down

Untimely transplant... Empty Untimely transplant...

Post  will baddeley Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:07 am

Hello Phillip. How big are they. Are they in leaf and how big are the pots they're in. Pictures are a good way forward when seeking advice.
will baddeley
will baddeley

Back to top Go down

Untimely transplant... Empty Re: Untimely transplant...

Post  Phillip W. Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:20 am

Sorry there are no pics. Im at work or id post some now. They are in leaf, and about 20" in height. They appear to be in decent condition.

Phillip W.

Back to top Go down

Post  will baddeley Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:28 am

As long as the soil mix is fairly well drained, I would give them shelter through the Winter and think about repotting in Spring but not next year, the year after. Too much Too soon may kill them.
will baddeley
will baddeley

Back to top Go down

Post  Phillip W. Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:35 am

I was thinking something similar to that...Thanks for the reply.

Phillip W.

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:58 pm

In the U.S. southeast, Fall is an ideal time to plant trees and shrubs in the ground. That's where I would put them.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  lordy Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:41 pm

JimLewis wrote:In the U.S. southeast, Fall is an ideal time to plant trees and shrubs in the ground. That's where I would put them.
I concur 100%. I imagine a 20" tree about the size of a fat pencil. Planted in the ground they would have the chance to put on some girth. Dont put them in afternoon sun in the summer or they'll bake. Plant where they get morning sun in summer, then afternoon shade or mostly shade, and they should thrive.
lordy
lordy

Back to top Go down

Post  Phillip W. Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:45 pm

The ground huh. I think I have a good spot.
thanks

Phillip W.

Back to top Go down

Post  lordy Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:54 pm

at the risk of stating the obvious, but not knowing your experience level, I would add one suggestion. If you gently spread the roots out to resemble a dinner plate, and then plant it all on top of something flat and rigid, such as a ceramic tile, or an old dinner plate, the roots will be trained to grow flat and wide making the transition to a shallow pot easier when the time comes.
lordy
lordy

Back to top Go down

Post  Phillip W. Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:45 pm

I've read about this technique. Ill be giving it a shot. Thanks again

Phillip W.

Back to top Go down

Post  drgonzo Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:55 pm

As Jim mentioned Fall is an excellent time to pop Maples in the ground. Up my way it is actually the preferred and often most recomended time to plant them. Do yours have a graft? On a Dissectum look up high near where the branches start. If not then down a few inches above soil level.
drgonzo
drgonzo

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down