Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Species ID?

5 posters

Go down

Species ID? Empty Species ID?

Post  Jesse McMahon Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:22 pm

sorry to say i couldn't get a picture of this tree in its entirety, but right now it's buried under 2 feet of pasture grass. i gathered what information i could. anyone?

Species ID? 100_8810

Species ID? 100_8811

Species ID? 100_8812

Species ID? 100_8813

Jesse McMahon
Jesse McMahon

Back to top Go down

Species ID? Empty Re: Species ID?

Post  Russell Coker Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:32 pm

It's a pear.
Russell Coker
Russell Coker

Back to top Go down

Post  Randy_Davis Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:34 pm

My guess would be Pyrus calleryana (Callery pear) fairly common introduced species from China. The wavy leaf is quite typical of the species and differentiates it from the common pear (P. communis). It should begin to produce good fall color in the orange and red hues with some yellow.
Randy_Davis
Randy_Davis

Back to top Go down

Post  Jesse McMahon Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:03 am

thanks for the input, russell and randy. thinking this tree might be a viable bonsai subject. i'll investigate the trunk a little further over the weekend and bring back some pictures.

Last edited by Jesse McMahon on Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:04 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : i had to add one L to russell's name...hehe)
Jesse McMahon
Jesse McMahon

Back to top Go down

Post  Russell Coker Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:15 am

Randy's right, of course. Seedlings seem to be pretty commom. Wasn't it Chris (coh) that posted a really one back in the summer for ID?

Oh, and I think they make VERY nice bonsai material. Wish I had one.
Russell Coker
Russell Coker

Back to top Go down

Post  Jesse McMahon Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:35 am

my girlfriend just moved into a new property that has 18 acres of pasture and woods with it. these little guys are definitely propogating readily out there, and i've been getting excited about collecting opportunities in the spring. i'm guessing trunk chopping during the dormant season will be ok with this species?
Jesse McMahon
Jesse McMahon

Back to top Go down

Post  Russell Coker Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:42 am

Jesse, I would think they're pretty indestructible. But someone like Randy or Jim Lewis should answer that question. That kind of winter isn't part of my life (thank God).
Russell Coker
Russell Coker

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:56 am

Well, Jesse live just a few miles from me. Pears do well here. But you may be advised to keep these in the ground, merely using a sharp shovel to cut roots around the base, because once in a pot, they don't do much.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  coh Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:02 am

I was going to say "that looks familiar!" I did post 2 threads about the callery pear tree I obtained earlier this summer:

Tree ID requested

Callery Pear: How to proceed

At this point, I don't know any more about growing/training it, nor about collecting (someone else did that many years ago). It's done well since the replanting, roots surging out of the bottom of the grow box. Once the leaves come off I'll be able to evaluate what is there. Looking forward to working with it.

Russell Coker wrote:Randy's right, of course. Seedlings seem to be pretty commom. Wasn't it Chris (coh) that posted a really one back in the summer for ID?

Oh, and I think they make VERY nice bonsai material. Wish I had one.

Ah, it's like a game of Mad Libs...fill in the missing adjective! It's raw but I think it has potential. And the price was right!

Chris

coh
coh

Back to top Go down

Post  Russell Coker Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:33 am

Yes, well, it's way past happy hour here..

That should have been a "really GOOD one"... Do I get points for leaving a lot to the imagination????
Russell Coker
Russell Coker

Back to top Go down

Post  coh Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:47 am

Ah, happy hour - you're excused! Nevertheless, it is a really technique that I'll have to remember in the future! Wink

Chris
coh
coh

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down