Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Best places to get supplies?

+5
bonsaisr
JimLewis
AK_Panama
Billy M. Rhodes
remist17
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Best places to get supplies? Empty Best places to get supplies?

Post  remist17 Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:19 pm

I need to get some cut paste, pots, and wire

What is the best places to get these?

I also am not sure what size wire to get? The trees I am working on are small to medium size. Nothing over .25".
The trunks I have not started to wire yet.

Thanks
remist17
remist17

Back to top Go down

Best places to get supplies? Empty Re: Best places to get supplies?

Post  Billy M. Rhodes Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:39 pm

I use www.bonsaimonk.com for mail order.
Billy M. Rhodes
Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

Post  AK_Panama Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:57 pm

Can also use www.amazon.com

When I started I purchased every size wire of: 1.0, 1.5, 2.0, 2.5, 3.0, 3.5, 4.0, 5.0

It sucks needing one particular size and not having and then having to double wire.
AK_Panama
AK_Panama

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:50 pm

I've found that Stone Lantern has fair prices.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  remist17 Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:13 pm

ok great How about cut paste. I do not see this listed at all on either site.
remist17
remist17

Back to top Go down

Post  Billy M. Rhodes Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:51 pm

I have bought cut paste from Bonsaimonk I will take a look
Billy M. Rhodes
Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

Post  Billy M. Rhodes Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:53 pm

Bonsaimonk shows three choices for cut paste
Billy M. Rhodes
Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:50 pm

But then, there are those (and I am one) who never use the stuff. I'm sure Stone Lantern carries it.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  AK_Panama Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:32 pm

You can just use regular Elmer´s wood glue...can get at any local hardware store...
AK_Panama
AK_Panama

Back to top Go down

Post  Billy M. Rhodes Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:42 pm

The benefits of cut paste are:
1. Color, the cut paste can hide a cut if its color matches the bark.
2.cut paste does contain some antifungal benefit.

But most people don't use it.

Jim Smith uses mud.
Billy M. Rhodes
Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

Post  remist17 Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:54 pm

thats great news... if I dont need something I am not going to buy it. I would assume the cut paste would be helpfull on the larger branches that would need cut. But if you cut the branches while dormint than the tree should heal its self.

GREAT THanks
remist17
remist17

Back to top Go down

Best places to get supplies? Empty Places to get supplies

Post  bonsaisr Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:54 pm

Where in Pennsylvania are you? There are two big bonsai studios, one near Harrisburg & one in Bucks County. There is a nursery in Pittston that carries some bonsai supplies. There are several big bonsai clubs.
Iris
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Post  bonsaisr Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:00 pm

remist17 wrote:But if you cut the branches while dormant than the tree should heal itself.

Excuse me? The tree will not heal itself while it is dormant. Healing only goes on while the tree is in active growth. The usual belief is that a cut larger than one inch requires some sort of wound sealer. Bonsai care is not the same as care of standard trees, where the current practice is to leave wounds bare.
Iris
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Post  Mitch Thomas Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:02 pm

Hey remist17

I have used Dallas Bonsai supply, Good prices and service. As far as the cut paste goes, I have used for years is Tite Bond #2 it is water prof and anti fungal and food grade so it is safe.
Mitch Best places to get supplies? 290456

Mitch Thomas

Back to top Go down

Post  AK_Panama Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:07 pm

I´ll search for them and try out. Elmer´s glue has worked for us somewhat, but if there are antifungal properties with the paste I´ll try it out.
AK_Panama
AK_Panama

Back to top Go down

Post  drgonzo Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:16 pm

I second Dallas Bonsai-good stuff good price fast delivery, they also have those spherical concave cutters that are just ...cool!

Tight-bond III is what I use, I like that I can paint it on with a brush, that makes things very neat, you can also paint wounds with acrylic paint mixed to match your bark, after the Tight-bond dries that is.

Its best practice in my experience to do major pruning during the height of growing season so the vigor of the tree can be focused on healing the wound, this applies to broad leaf deciduous trees, for conifers we often wait till fall or winter when sap flow is diminished, you can seal those wounds with Vaseline, as Harry harrison does.
-Jay
drgonzo
drgonzo

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:43 pm

I have always suspected that the reason that commercial bonsai cut paste sometimes has anti-fungal agents in it is because the application of the paste to the wound site is likely to trap fungus spores and moisture under the big globs of paste you are told to mold around the cut -- creating a certain breeding ground for fungal infections. No paste, no trapped moisture and no trapped spores. No problems.

Anyway, an arborist/bonsaiest gave me a large tin (equivalent to a lifetime supply for me) of a bee's wax concoction and told me that the thinnest possible application of that is all I'd ever need, and only then on the largest cuts -- like a trunk chop. And, it is all but invisible, and disappears naturally. If you want to look it up, search for Phytech 50. It no longer comes in such a large tin -- at least not to persons who are not professional arborists.

Bee's wax, by the way, has vigorous natural antifungal properties.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  drgonzo Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:51 pm

I keep bees and I think I probably could adapt propolis as a wound sealant! I NEVER though to use Bee products as sealants but YES OF COURSE they would be outstanding in that regard.
drgonzo
drgonzo

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:00 pm

Hah! I had to look up "propolis."

Interesting stuff.

I don't know if the stuff I have consists of propolis or "regular" bee's wax. (I saw an article that made a distinct difference between the two.)

Are you losing hives in your part of the country? Beekeepers are having problems around here -- and I DO like my yearly quart jar of sourwood (Oxydendrum arboreum) honey every summer!
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Best places to get supplies? Empty with apologies for the soap box, but felt it had to be said

Post  dick benbow Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:50 pm

Ya know, another way to look at this question is supporting your local retailer. the guy who supports the shows, conventions, etc by appearing as a vendor, donating auction/raffle items and arrainging for really good workshop trees. These workshop trees get purchased a year in advanced and watered and cared for without charge.

I realize many things come into play but I hope you'll consider supporting the business that supports the clubs as well as those who offer price and selection thru the post/mail.

just saying...we need them both and not at the expense of either
dick benbow
dick benbow

Back to top Go down

Post  Billy M. Rhodes Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:08 pm

I have used that brand, it is quite thick. My choice now is a more tooth paste like texture.
Billy M. Rhodes
Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

Post  drgonzo Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:09 pm

Jim
Its been a TERRIBLE year for Bee keeping, not only did we have an awful winter that took many hives with it, but The drenching spring and then the heat wave and drought has really hurt them, I basically didn't get a harvest off them because our main nectar flow was cut short (it basically didn't happen) in July. Kept loosing queens all season in one hive too..

Sourwood honey IS THE HONEY! Out here we do Clover then Goldenrod.
drgonzo
drgonzo

Back to top Go down

Post  coh Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:31 pm

Basswood honey is pretty good too...

I kept a single hive for a few years in Virginia. Only got one good harvest because most of those years were very dry, with low nectar flows. But it was very interesting just having the hive. We also had one of those 2 (or 3? can't remember) frame observation hives in the house, which was fascinating. By the way, I'm not sure propolis would be a good idea - I don't think that stuff can ever be removed! It's tough stuff.

Anyway, I agree with the suggestion to support the local businesses as much as possible (if you have them available in your area), provided they don't charge too much of a mark-up compared to on-line sources.

Chris

Edited to add - a good source for wire is Julian Adams (Adams Bonsai) in Virginia...he sells both on-line and at many local/regional shows in the mid Atlantic region.
coh
coh

Back to top Go down

Post  drgonzo Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:40 am

The only way you could remove the propolis effectively would be wait till winter when its frozen and kinda crack and smash it off, no doubt doing more harm then good, Nope, I'll stick with my Tight-bond, but you can burn propolis as a heavenly incense in a charcoal burner.

The lack (or severely curtailed) of a Basswood nectar flow was probably the straw that broke the camels (or rather Bees) back this year.
I have to remember this is a Bonsai forum, never get a beekeeper talking about his bees unless your ready to spend the night.
drgonzo
drgonzo

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next