Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bonsai for profit, and fun.

+10
bonsaisr
Ryan
bucknbonsai
drgonzo
mbolos
fiona
marcus watts
JimLewis
John Quinn
tlynn
14 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Bonsai for profit, and fun. - Page 3 Empty Re: Bonsai for profit, and fun.

Post  tlynn Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:24 pm

collected 8-30-11l, another cow pasture BC, I toped this one.

tlynn

Back to top Go down

Post  tlynn Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:39 pm

tlynn

Back to top Go down

Post  tlynn Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:42 pm

ist a company laptop with security settings that I cannot change, I think thats why I cant get the hosi image to open, but in another browser I can get the video to work

Last edited by tlynn on Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:14 pm; edited 1 time in total

tlynn

Back to top Go down

Post  tlynn Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:50 pm

BC, collected 8-30-11 from cow pasture.two slides on this one. One shows the full width of the taper, the other shows a big scar that has healed for some time. and a knot growing out at about 10 inches

tlynn

Back to top Go down

Post  tlynn Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:09 pm

a BC

tlynn

Back to top Go down

Post  tlynn Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:29 pm

this one has a good spread on the roots but they are still thin, from what I have seen, these will thicked up and blend into the trunk- I think.

tlynn

Back to top Go down

Post  tlynn Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:33 pm

This is the largest one I collected on 8-30-11. A large BC had fell, maybe 8-10 years ago according to the condition of it. When it fell it struck this small cypress that was 6 inches away from the old log when I collected it. It was in 10 inches of water and by the time I got the roots sawed, the soil was so soft it came up bare rotted- no soil. I kept it wet and had it in soil and wraped within 20 minutes. The damaged looks bad but new bark has curled into the cavity. It has a prety wide stance for the diamater.

tlynn

Back to top Go down

Post  tlynn Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:45 pm

I may have to do something different on these photos, they dont show some details that I know are there, mostly at the base, the photos seem too dark, either the base is still dirty or I need to take closeup shot or use flash.

What do ya'll think?

I have 21 more trees, most are medium to large height like the last photo.

tlynn

Back to top Go down

Post  tlynn Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:43 pm

test- this is a cell phone video sent to email, converted to Quick Time Player, sent to YouTube, and retrieved in this post.

tlynn

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:55 pm

We do have a Testing area.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  tlynn Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:43 pm

Check this out. This Bald cypress is hollow inside, I could see between the roots all the way thru it and out the other side. Correct me if I’m wrong or add to my observation of three things.

First being right next to a lake, it looks like erosion over the years has exposed the lower portion of the trunk where the feeder roots separate from the wide base of the trunk. At this point the tree seems less stable and subject to falling during high winds.

Second, the center has rotted from the ground and up several feet- the tap root is no longer connected to the tree, the only roots connected is what you see around the outside. I don’t think this tree will stand very much longer.

Third, what makes a tree top out, that is stop growing taller and just start spreading out at the top? On cypress, could it be that the tops open up when the tap root rots and it can’t get any taller? Most all felled cypress I see have the centers rotted, ie, lost tap root.

Yesterday I found a BC growing from a 2 foot rotted stump, cut off years ago when the cypress were timbered. I’ll name it the Hulk. It was too dark to take photo then, I will later, but this tree also exhibits the results of a rotted tap root.

tlynn

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:17 pm

Bald cypress don't have much of a tap root in their natural habitat. They grow in shallow water, and don't really need one. And, the swamps they grow in are underlain by hard impervious layers of rock (which is why the area is swampy since the water can't soak down into the aquifer that easily) that a root could not penetrate.

During prolonged droughts, you will sometimes see cypress domes where many, if not most, of the trees have fallen in great disorder because the ground dried out and the peaty soil shrunk and was unable to support the tall trees.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  rock Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:15 am

You are doing it tlynn, good job .

feel younger yet
rock
rock

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3