Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ink poisoning?

4 posters

Go down

Ink poisoning? Empty Ink poisoning?

Post  Storm Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:51 pm

Hi. I was wondering, are some inks poisonous for trees?
I have some large trees. And 3 of them have died. I have created a small hollow on them, on dead wood, not removing live tissue, and not long after they have all died. I have done this on different times of year, and they all seem to go the same way. Leaves turn brown and crisp in a week or two. Today I cut the trunk of an oak. I had cut a bit on top of it, where all the wood was dead, and painted a bit inside. The brown leaves were like if the tree had gone the whole time without watering, but I water it regularly, and at the same rate as my other just as large Oak. They were both growing nicely, and only one is alive now. The one that lives havent been worked on, and it hasnt shown signs of this.
And Ive worked on a small birch a few days ago, and Ive just recently painted the inside of a small hollow on this one too, and im afraid it might kill it.

What are your thoughts?

Sincerely
Storm
Storm
Storm

Back to top Go down

Ink poisoning? Empty Re: Ink poisoning?

Post  JimLewis Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:52 pm

I've never head of "ink poisoning" a tree, but

1. What kind of ink are you using?

and

2. If you are concerned, why do you keep on doing it?

It is often recommended to mix India ink in with lime sulfur to prevent that ugly stark whiteness, I've not done that, but I've not heard of anything bad stemming from its use. AND, I have darkened the inside of a hollow on a crape myrtle with a "magic marker" (some kind of indelible ink and alcohol mixture) and have seen no adverse effects.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Storm Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:01 pm

Okay, thanks Jim.
It was first today I thought there might be a connection, and it crossed my mind.
I cant remember the name on the ink, Ill try to find out, but its on a small bottle, meant for old fashion pens.
Not that I find a reason why it should kill it, since I just use the ink on the deep parts of the wood, where the heartwood and old wood is. Dont know how it could travel into the live parts and come to the roots or anything. Just seems strange, that several trees, all growing very well, dies not long after Ive done this.. Can leaves turn dark and crisp from overwatering? I thought they might just yellow and fall off.. But the summer has been unstable.
Suddenly its frying hot in the sun, and I have to water all the time. Trees growing like crazy, but also losing some leaves. One day later its quite cold. Now it almost seems like autumn is starting.
Good to hear Ink havent damaged anything for you.
Storm
Storm

Back to top Go down

Post  AlainK Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:27 pm

I doubt that ink can be the cause of the death of your trees if you put it on dead wood. Even when watering, only a small amount would go down to the roots anyway.

If it is some ink that can be used by non-professionals, it should be harmless for children, and probably for plants too.
AlainK
AlainK

Back to top Go down

Post  marcus watts Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:46 pm

just your oaks?....sudden oak death maybe - worryingly a few bonsai trees seem to be falling to this disease now. If the oaks were collected in the last year or two working them could be the reason for the deaths - a 'dead' oak will still leaf out from stored energy before dying off latter that year when the roots cant cope.

i've used artist inks, pen ink, acrylic inks and even acrylic paints on dead wood over the years with no ill effects, but if lime sulphar gets on a newly cut cambium (large pruning, shari, base of jin etc) it can cause sections to die back quite frequently. i either seal the cut edge first or wait a good few weeks so the cambium heals over.

marcus watts
marcus watts

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum