Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Acer Palmatum dying slowly

2 posters

Go down

Acer Palmatum dying slowly Empty Acer Palmatum dying slowly

Post  R3mco Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:31 pm

Hi everyone,

I am having a problem with one of my maples in training.
About a month ago, some leaves were turning red, and within a week or two started dropping (in mid July).

Acer Palmatum dying slowly Acer_f11

Last week some pinkish (looks white on the photo) speckles started to appear on the nebari and the tree started to suck up less water.

Acer Palmatum dying slowly Acer_f10

I decided the tree might have a big problem, so I moved it to seperate it from the rest of my trees, not to cause infection on the others.
Within 2 days the infection tripled, so today I decided to put it in a more sunny spot, seems like the fungus (or whatever it is) feeds off of moist conditions.

Another photo, this time some distance:
Acer Palmatum dying slowly Acer_f12

Has anyone had this problem in the past, what is it, and how can i deal with it?
Perhaps it's already too late and i should bury it, lol Very Happy
Maybe bare root it totally, plant it in the ground and pray?

Any help is appreciated!! Very Happy

Greets, Remco
R3mco
R3mco

Back to top Go down

Acer Palmatum dying slowly Empty Re: Acer Palmatum dying slowly

Post  wabashene Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:10 pm

This could be Coral Spot fungus (Nectria cinnabarina)- and rather looks like it as well.

See here

http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/profile.aspx?PID=135

I disposed of a trident maple that had it bad and saved another by prompt removal of the affected parts.

Not good news really

You could try a re-pot - cutting away any affected root and branch parts in the process , defloliate partially and cross your fingers.

Keep the tree in a bright airy place afterwards away from other trees

Thks

TimR
wabashene
wabashene

Back to top Go down

Post  R3mco Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:57 pm

Thanks for the reply and finding the little bugger, Tim.

I've checked out some images on google on the Coral Spot, and it looks exactly the same, with the same symptoms.
Damn fungus, seems I'll have to cut all the stuff out, repot, and seperate from the rest.

I find it odd though that it happens to appear on a tree now. I've always worked in the same spot in my garden for years and never had any problems with fungus or other diseases. Maybe it just came with the plant and became active because I didn't seal wounds well when i did root pruning couple months ago.

Seems its time to properly clean my workplace and my tools with heavy duty stuff Laughing

Thanks again for the help!
R3mco
R3mco

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down