Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bougainvillia spectabilis "super bark"

3 posters

Go down

Bougainvillia spectabilis "super bark" Empty Bougainvillia spectabilis "super bark"

Post  ferdy-san Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:29 pm

Good afternoon everyone,
here i am again to show one more amateur project that i only started the end of last winter, one of the local gardeners was doing some prunning when i walked by and looked at a piece of wood that had fallen not to far from me, it had a lovelly bark on it and was toped by some dead wood, as such i asked the old gardener if i could take it and try to root it as a cutting, the man looked at me and laughed is head off and said that in thirty years in the gardening trade he had never seen a cutting of old wood like that one, to root, i think he was wrong...you know? Laughing Twisted Evil

Bougainvillia spectabilis "super bark" 2ln8rk1

Bougainvillia spectabilis "super bark" Fbjeyr

Bougainvillia spectabilis "super bark" 25zhvdy

Bougainvillia spectabilis "super bark" 2nqftf

Bougainvillia spectabilis "super bark" 24zjiu0

Bougainvillia spectabilis "super bark" 2w6bf6g

And now, i would humbly request for opinions, and advice on the best way to follow so it can , maybe one day be a acceptable bonsai Embarassed
Sam, are you there...anyone...?!? Thanks for looking Very Happy

ferdy-san

Back to top Go down

Bougainvillia spectabilis "super bark" Empty Re: Bougainvillia spectabilis "super bark"

Post  JimLewis Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:37 pm

Be sure to take it by and show it to that "gardener."

I'd wait to do much. Let it fill the pot with its new roots. You can rubn out shoots you know you don't want, and encourage the others, but just let them grow for one more growing season.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Bougainvillia spectabilis "super bark" Empty Re: Bougainvillia spectabilis "super bark"

Post  kauaibonsai Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:39 pm

hi ferdy-san

great save. by the looks of the bark, this is an old stump which appears to be happy and growing strongly. dont know what your climate is like compared to ours, so I cant really say what you should or shouldnt do at this point. so much depends on the weather. if it were my tree, I would make a decision on the trunk line ( is this the position you like for the future?) and begin to wire the branches accordingly. if you wait too long to wire, the branches become too brittle to bend correctly then you are faced with starting the branching again from scratch. otherwise, when you believe the tree to be strong enough, replant it in the desired position then later begin picking branches. blessed by warm weather/year around growing conditions in hawaii, we can get away with pushing bougainvillea hard in the early stages of development. like where you live, bougies with no/ few roots can be planted and replanted and will recover easily, so we like to do the trunk work, replant, etc. with the least amount of lag time between the different steps, then leave the tree to grow and develop in the right position with the energy going to the right branches. this helps shorten the journey considerably. good luck.

best wishes, sam

kauaibonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  ferdy-san Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:30 pm

Thank you Sam,
the weather around here is around the 30 celcious mark in the summer, always humid (i live by the sea), and the temperatures in the winter are on average, between 10 celcious and 16 celcious, droping to 5 celcious very rarely in the night time, that is what whe call "very cold aroud here", not quite what you are used to in Hawai, but quite livable, and workable (Bouggie wise) dont you think... thanks for answering, i will take your advice on board...

ferdy-san

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down