Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A predator in the house

+5
NJF
Todd Ellis
EdMerc
sunip
JimLewis
9 posters

Go down

A predator in the house Empty A predator in the house

Post  JimLewis Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:29 pm

Or almost. This gal -- measuring 31/2 inches -- was/is on the inside of the screen door to our downstairs sunroom -- between the screen and the glass door.

She's a great bugcatcher.

A predator in the house Spider10

A predator in the house Spider11

Now, what to name her.

Last edited by JimLewis on Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

A predator in the house Empty Re: A predator in the house

Post  sunip Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:07 am

Hi Jim,
Whatever you do, do not show this to your granddaughter.
regards, Sunip Wink

sunip

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:00 pm

Nah. She'd take it home. It wouldn't bother her at all.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  EdMerc Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:05 pm

She's a beaut. I wonder what kind of spider it is.
EdMerc
EdMerc

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:20 pm

I think they're called wolf spiders.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Todd Ellis Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:33 pm

She's a beauty Jim. When ever I see one in the house I get startled, but then I will collect them to release outside. They can be very fast but usully comply when I tell them that I want to protect them from the dogs and cats. I also collect Black Widows to release if I find them in the house. Your picture is great!
Todd
Todd Ellis
Todd Ellis

Back to top Go down

Post  NJF Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:42 pm

You guys are crazy! What if this is the baby one! Check your cellar, but don't go down there without your nail gun Laughing
NJF
NJF

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:55 pm

Well, I'm quite fond of spiders, and all that (except when I walk blindly throgh one of their webs out in the woods and get it wrapped around my head), but I don't think I'd be so kind to a black widow.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Qlander Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:24 am

We have spiders here in Australia that are extremely similar to this one and we know them as Huntsman Spiders. Can grow up to 6" (I've seen them at least 4" tip to tip). These are not considered dangerous to humans - our Redbacks are!! They are a close relative of your Black Widows. Our Wolf spiders are considerably smaller - but no less impressive.
We also have a nasty one called a 'white tail' spider. The bite from these can cause virtually untreatable necrosis of flesh tissue in susceptible people and can result in amputation of severely affected limbs - doesn't affect everyone in that way though.
Qlander
Qlander

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:01 pm

Your "white tail" sounds a bit like the Brown Recluse spider we have. It too causes necrosis in some people and many pople are hospitalized from their bites.

All in all, however, spiders are "good guys." Finding a few in your trees just means there were things to eat there, and many of those "things" could be harming your trees.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  coh Sun Jul 31, 2011 3:46 pm

I'm generally "spider-neutral" - I leave them alone for the most part when I find them around the house. Living here in the frozen north, there aren't too many big spiders. But when I lived in Virginia - some of those giants (like the one pictured in the original post) did freak me out a bit! I would not be happy to see that thing in my house, even though I know it's a beneficial critter. Guess I do have a little bit of arachnophobia in me.

Black widows on the other hand...we had them everywhere in Virginia. You really couldn't do any yard work at all without gloves, as they were in the grass, under logs, etc. Never saw any in the house, though they were probably there. I do have to say, though, that they can be beautiful - jet black with those red markings.

Chris
coh
coh

Back to top Go down

Post  Hawaiian77 Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:37 pm

Howzit Jim,

They look like some of the cane spider we have in Hawaii. Just as big and scary. Shocked Shocked

A Hui Hou,
-Tim Cool
Hawaiian77
Hawaiian77

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:19 pm

Aloha, Tim . . .

I remember those. We'd find them in the Panex hedge that surrounded our house in Kailua (Oahu). I was a pre-teen and teen then (pre-historic, I know; this was in 1948-52) and I remember them as being BIG.

I just looked hem up. They are big -- up to 5 inches! They are, however, not native to Hawaii. They probably got there in a ship with the Missionaries (don't say they never gave you anything!). They're supposed to be in Florida (and the Caribbean, too), but not up where I lived.

From Google Images:

A predator in the house Jun10

Last edited by JimLewis on Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Hawaiian77 Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:25 pm

YES there are!!.... when it's harvest time and they burn the cane you'll see them running around on the dirt roads. What fun!! Twisted Evil

A Hui Hou,
-Tim Cool
Hawaiian77
Hawaiian77

Back to top Go down

Post  lordy Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:57 pm

I have seen two in my garage. I dont like 'em one bit.

found on Google:

Wolf Spiders ...venomous - non-aggressive

Venom toxicity - the bite of the Wolf Spider is poisonous but not lethal. Although non-aggressive, they bite freely if provoked and should be considered dangerous to humans. The bite may be very painful. First aid and medical attention should be sought as soon as possible, particularly as to children or the elderly.

Spider Identification - an adult is 1/2 inch to more than 1 inch in body length - mottled gray to brown in color, with a distinct Union Jack impression on its back. The female carries it's young on its back.

Habitat - this spider is a ground dweller, with a burrow retreat. It has a roving nocturnal lifestyle to hunt their prey and can move very rapidly when disturbed. Commonly found around the home, in garden areas with a silk lined burrow, sometimes with a lid or covered by leaf litter or grass woven with silk as a little fence around the rim of the burrow.
lordy
lordy

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down