Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hi from novice

+3
JimLewis
bonsaisr
Wolftrees
7 posters

Go down

Hi from novice Empty Hi from novice

Post  Wolftrees Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:21 am

Morning all. Chris from North Yorkshire here. cheers

I have been sniffing around the bonsai idea for a long time now and am finally taking the plunge. I do not know anyone else thats into it so its a book and picking the brains of a couple of local-ish garden centres and you lot Very Happy

This is the plan. I'm not too fussed about traditional types, what I really want is some small copies of the large trees I see around me. So to that end I have bought seeds of English Oak, Japanese Elm, Beech and Silver Birch. I would also like English Elm and Weeping Willow if anyone knows where to get some.

Now I know I can't set seeding into motion come winter when I have to put them in the fridge so this seems like a good place to get any and all misconceptions out of the way about what I can and can't do. The plan is flexible as I understand that things may have to change as I discover more about the subject.

Speak soon! cyclops
Wolftrees
Wolftrees

Back to top Go down

Hi from novice Empty Welcome

Post  Guest Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:20 am

Hi Chris,

Welcome to IBC the best resource for Bonsai on the web...

Take a good look around the forum, read as much as you can about folks efforts in creating beautiful bonsai...there are some pretty clever members here cheers

There are lots of folk and good Bonsai clubs around North Yorkshire and the North of the UK (I am in Lancashire)that you can turn to for help.

I can personally recommend:
Tees Valley Bonsai Society. St Mary's Hall, The Green, Norton, Stockton-on-Tees. Monthly; 'Monthly on 3rd Wednesday at 7.30pm'. Tel:01287 637734

Starting from seed is always rewarding but as you will discover it takes a long time to create a 'credible' bonsai... but don't let this stop you going for it!

Back to top Go down

Hi from novice Empty Hi from Novice

Post  bonsaisr Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:27 pm

Wolftrees wrote: what I really want is some small copies of the large trees I see around me.
Seeds are a long term project. Meanwhile get some starter plants. One I know is available is Ulmus xhollandica 'Jacqueline Hillier.' This is an exact miniature of a standard European elm. Good species to start with.
Beech will not be very miniature. It will be close to a metre tall as a bonsai.
Can't recommend weeping willow. Struggled with them for years, gave up.
Iris
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Hi from novice Empty Re: Hi from novice

Post  Wolftrees Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:17 pm

Whats a starter plant?
Wolftrees
Wolftrees

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:23 pm

A smallish plant that you get to make into a bonsai while you are waiting for your seeds to sprout, and grow, and grow and grow . . . .
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:25 pm

Hi Chris. What we mean here is a tree that has already had a few growing seasons. What many beginners do is go to a plant nursery and get a young tree that can then be styled as you want. It's a good way to learn basic techniques like wiring and pruning without worrying about your bank balance. The next step up is to buy yourself a "pre-bonsai" which as the name suggests is an older piece of material which has maybe had a bit of work already done to it. You then work away at the styling. The advantages of this are that you don't have the worry of how do you start it off, plus it will take a much shorter time to get the tree to completion. Give you something to do while you are waiting for your seeds to come through.

There are a couple of actual bonsai nurseries in the Yorkshire area - if you care to send me your address in a PM, I can work out which is/are near to you.

Hope this helps.

Fiona
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  Wolftrees Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:01 pm

OK thats clear. I live in Ryedale which is basically the southern half of the N York moors, not much up here What a Face

Theres a spot called Deans down in York that has a few bits and pieces.

One other thing, although they are probably outdoor trees, I'd like to keep them indoors. Is this a good move or not?
Wolftrees
Wolftrees

Back to top Go down

Post  landerloos Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:03 pm

Wolftrees wrote:OK thats clear. I live in Ryedale which is basically the southern half of the N York moors, not much up here What a Face

Theres a spot called Deans down in York that has a few bits and pieces.

One other thing, although they are probably outdoor trees, I'd like to keep them indoors. Is this a good move or not?

Bad move, if they are outdoor trees, thats the place they belong, with keeping them inside you kill them for sure.

Peter
landerloos
landerloos

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:12 pm

I'm afraid Peter is absolutely right, Chris. Trees kept indoors do not generally get the right light and temperature conditions that they need. And if you have central heating then that is a double danger. The confusion that bonsai are "indoor" trees comes from places selling them as such. You will see that those trees are from tropical climates that dont have the temperature lows that we have. Our own trees need to be kept outdoors even in the winter.

Do you have a garden or a patio you can keep the trees on? If not maybe a friend could "host" them for you. I'm away to google Ryedale to see who is near you for further advice.
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  graham walker Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:30 pm

No Need to google Ryedale, Fiona. It is about 20mls south of me on southern edge of N Yorks Moors.

Chris, as well as Tees Valley Bonsai Socy, that Tony has already mentioned, there is also a club that meet in Scarborough, not sure where they meet, but as I am speaking there in 3 weeks, I will find out shortly!!!!

If you want to PM me to discuss things please do so
Tees Valley BS will be displaying at Cleveland Show on 23rd July and Stokesley Show on Sept 17th

Graham
Secretary TVBS

graham walker

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:00 am

Was just about to come back on and say that you should drop Graham a PM, Chris, but he's got in first.

Seriously - your best bet would be to go along to Graham's club meeting and see for yourself what is happening and meet some people. Things will drop into place as to what bonsai actually is when you meet other enthusiasts. It is far better than learning from books although those too have a place in the massive learning curve.

I'd try to get to some shows as well.

Good luck. I'd come along to the meeting with you but there'd be beggar all chance of getting a drink with so many Yorkshiremen in the one room. Very Happy
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  Gentleman G. Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:23 am

Definitely try your hardest to attend the meeting. It's the best thing I've done so far. Books are very helpful, but besides the trees being 2 dimensional in books, it always makes more sense whenyou talk with someone that's done the things you read in books. My first meeting was very inspiring, and on top of that I met some great people! Well worth it in my opinion. Also, most clubs have libraries so you can read some of the "famous" books without having to purchase them right away (and they are expensive, at least the older out of print ones). Bonsai is expensive enough so free knowledge is the best gift a beginner can recieve.

G
Gentleman G.
Gentleman G.

Back to top Go down

Post  Gentleman G. Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:26 am

Oh yeah, welcome to the forum!!! Sorry about that, I'm still fairly new here myself so I feel a bit awkward welcoming people... Glad you decided to join us crazies Twisted Evil
Gentleman G.
Gentleman G.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:12 am

Hi Chris... I hope you have found what you are looking for. Graham is quite close to you... and a Visit to his garden should be high on your list.

Attending a club will give you a great boost... you will not be a fish out of water as Clubs usually have quite a few novice members... and as Gentleman G states you get to read some of the better books without having to shell out for them.

Do not be overawed by some of the amazing trees you will see on this forum... Bonsai need not be expensive so long as you take good advice and have patience... this is not a hobby/art to be rushed... but the wait is worth it.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down