Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dwarf Hosta

+12
John Brocklehurst
Dave Martin
ShohinDude
fiona
Paul B [Swindon]
Jim Doiron
Mike Jones
Chris Cochrane
GaryWood
Kev Bailey
Russell Coker
shimsuki
16 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Dwarf Hosta - Page 2 Empty Re: Dwarf Hosta

Post  Kev Bailey Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:57 am

Good luck with the Pandoras box. I find this one very difficult/temperamental. Slow for a year or two and then dying off for no reason that I can determine. As with some other dwarf Hostas, they are demanding.
Kev Bailey
Kev Bailey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris Cochrane Sat Jul 02, 2011 7:13 pm

Both pots & plants look great, Todd.

Perhaps, a board or slab that also looks weathered would be in harmony with either. For Japanese-style suiseki, an complementary plant is most appropriate when displaying a stone in a suiban. For a complementary plant with blooms, no more than a single bloom is most appropriate at a height higher than the stand which holds the object (bonsai or suiseki) complemented.

You might consider a deeper mound (ball) of moss over the presently exposed roots to contribute to a cool & refreshing atmosphere in a warm season.
Chris Cochrane
Chris Cochrane

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike Jones Sun Jul 03, 2011 6:39 am

Chris, you got me???

How can you say they both look 'great,' then go on to say what and how they should be changed from/into? I may be missing the wood for the trees but great means to me they are basically perfect as is. So are they both great, or do both still need loads of work?
Mike Jones
Mike Jones

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris Cochrane Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:44 pm

Hi Mike... Both of Todd's pots & plants are great. His first illustrated complementary plant could arguably be better in summer with attention to a fresh mound of moss covering the roots. Moss (the soil surface) is neither plant nor pot. The second may or may not have attention to its soil surface-- it would be best with attention that finishes the soil surface. Would you leave soil exposed on a bonsai in display?

Since this forum is on display, complementary plants have a place in Japanese-style composition. Todd's first plant has blooms or buds at several heights. Matching the plant to other elements in the composition should consider the height of blooms relative to other objects, as described. It can be accomplished by trimming blooms &/or choice of stand.

Chris Cochrane
Chris Cochrane

Back to top Go down

Post  Penjing37 Sat Aug 06, 2011 4:26 pm

Dwarf Hosta - Page 2 Dsc_1911
Penjing37
Penjing37

Back to top Go down

Post  lordy Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:20 pm

Digging up an old thread, but I just noticed it. Anyway, I have a couple but have no idea what cultivar. They were given to me by a club member. Here's a shot from a few years ago.

Dwarf Hosta - Page 2 2e167388
lordy
lordy

Back to top Go down

Dwarf Hosta - Page 2 Empty Dwarf Hosta

Post  bonsaisr Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:42 pm

Yours is probably Hosta venusta, not any particular cultivar.
Iris
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2