Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Korean hornbeam

4 posters

Go down

Korean hornbeam Empty Korean hornbeam

Post  JimLewis Tue May 31, 2011 3:15 pm

I was given this tree as a near seedling in 1986 by the late Bill Sykes of the IBC. I know if as Carpinus coreana, but I guess the lumpers have put it as C. turczaninowii now. I doubt I'll ever manage to spell it right without checking, so C. coreana it will remain for me.

At your insistance, I've put it into a shallower pot (pic 1).

Korean hornbeam 5-11_a10

But I'm not at all certain hat I don't like it better in the deeper pot it was in last year (pic 2)

Korean hornbeam April_10
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Korean hornbeam Empty korean hornbeam

Post  moyogijohn Tue May 31, 2011 4:37 pm

Jim,,, Love the tree!! it looks so balenced the way it is trimmed...I like the deeper pot myself but what do i know....good job take care john

moyogijohn

Back to top Go down

Korean hornbeam Empty Re: Korean hornbeam

Post  Jesse Tue May 31, 2011 5:27 pm

I think that shape wise I like the thinner pot though I think I like the color of the deeper pot better. I definitely like the first pic in the deeper pot better but I think this is due to a preference for the lighting of the pic and the way the tree looks in it, the dry bark vs the wet bark in the new pic, and the moss around the tree. My thought is the presentation of the tree in the deeper pot was simply superior to the newer picture including the ability to see a bit more of the trunk of the tree about 2/3's the way up where the bark has a beautiful, aged look. I wish we could see an apples to apples comparison. The tree is so nice it would good planted in a plastic tray from Home Depot in my opinion Smile
Jesse
Jesse

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Tue May 31, 2011 10:43 pm

Maybe this is a better view of the trunk?

Korean hornbeam 5-11d10
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  davtree Tue May 31, 2011 10:48 pm

I like the tree a lot, have you considered a glazed pot rather than unglazed ? I think a glazed pot would complement the leaves better.

davtree

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down