Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

wood hardener

+3
Dale Cochoy
Billy M. Rhodes
moyogijohn
7 posters

Go down

wood hardener Empty wood hardener

Post  moyogijohn Thu May 26, 2011 9:38 pm

Trying something new...trying to fix my elm...after carveing,,how long befor applying minwax wood hardener??? Jim,you use it so how long to wait?????? thanks take care john

moyogijohn

Back to top Go down

wood hardener Empty Re: wood hardener

Post  Billy M. Rhodes Thu May 26, 2011 9:42 pm

If the wood is dry, add the wood hardener, it might not stick or be absorbed by wet wood.
Billy M. Rhodes
Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

Post  Dale Cochoy Thu May 26, 2011 9:51 pm

You have probably already thought of this, but,
do any coloring of the wood you might want to do by any of the common methods/coatings BEFORE applying it or any colorations will wash off later.
Dale Cochoy
Dale Cochoy

Back to top Go down

Post  moyogijohn Thu May 26, 2011 10:16 pm

Thank you Billy and Dale,,,so the wood needs to be dry?? I tried it once and it turned white after i painted it on..maybe the wood was wet...thanks take care john

moyogijohn

Back to top Go down

Post  Billy M. Rhodes Fri May 27, 2011 12:26 am

moyogijohn wrote:Thank you Billy and Dale,,,so the wood needs to be dry?? I tried it once and it turned white after i painted it on..maybe the wood was wet...thanks take care john

Are you using the Minwax product"
Billy M. Rhodes
Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

Post  moyogijohn Fri May 27, 2011 3:46 am

Billy,,that is what i got because i read it was best to use...thanks john

moyogijohn

Back to top Go down

Post  Oliver Muscio Fri May 27, 2011 4:12 am

Guys,
Where are you finding Minwax Wood Hardener? I have checked Lowes and WalMart, and they have Minwax products, but not "Wood Hardener". The closest I have found is Minwax Wood Conditioner, and I am guessing that is not the same thing.
Oliver

Oliver Muscio

Back to top Go down

Post  Billy M. Rhodes Fri May 27, 2011 10:31 am

Oliver Muscio wrote:Guys,
Where are you finding Minwax Wood Hardener? I have checked Lowes and WalMart, and they have Minwax products, but not "Wood Hardener". The closest I have found is Minwax Wood Conditioner, and I am guessing that is not the same thing.
Oliver

I think I bought at ACE Hardware, but read the label on the other product, "wood hardener" is for rotten wood. If the stuff at Lowe's, etc. mentions that, it is probably what you want.
Billy M. Rhodes
Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

Post  Oliver Muscio Fri May 27, 2011 2:17 pm

Thanks--I'll check out our ACE store. The woodconditioner is for preparation of raw wood for staining. It evens out the absorbancy of the hard and soft portions of the grain. It is not a hardener, although repeated coats would probably reduce the water absorbancy.
Oliver

Oliver Muscio

Back to top Go down

Post  BrianG Fri May 27, 2011 3:33 pm

Home depot has the minwax wood hardener........ my Lowe's didn't have it either.... Like was said before make sure you lime sulfer or other color method first ........ the wood hardener is the last step..... the hardener is sealing the wood so nothing is going to want to stick or penatrate after.... and it will leave a slight sheen to it when it dries .... you can use a nylon brush, scowering pad or steel wool to knock the sheen off if you dislike the look. Good luck
BrianG
BrianG

Back to top Go down

Post  jeffrey Fri May 27, 2011 6:28 pm

I've also used it on my communis.
In the Netherlands, sold under the name houtrotStop Alabastine.
great stuff.

http://www.alabastine.nl/product/houtrotstop/

[img]wood hardener Houtro11[/img]
jeffrey
jeffrey

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave Martin Fri May 27, 2011 6:42 pm

I followed Will Baddeley's advice and used Ronseal hardener on my Elm as he explained on one of his threads .
Apart from burning the wood as he suggested I used no lime sulphur again, as he suggested the wood has now gone to a beautiful natural silver grey without any additives.
Dave Martin
Dave Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  moyogijohn Fri May 27, 2011 7:14 pm

Thanks for the post,,,,i bought mine at lowes herein w. va. minwax high performance wood hardener...thanks guys take care john

moyogijohn

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down