Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ficus Benjamina Clump

3 posters

Go down

Ficus Benjamina Clump Empty Ficus Benjamina Clump

Post  DreadyKGB Sun May 22, 2011 2:38 am

Hey all,
I just thought I would share some pics of a Ficus I worked today. This was originally cheap house plant nursery stock which was almost dead 3 years ago. I think it looks much better in its new pot. I also removed one trunk and there are a few grafts in the works. I kept this in a "humidity chamber" through the winter and it seems happier than it ever was before. Through this season I will work on ramification and leaf reduction. Comments and suggestions always welcome.

June 2010
Ficus Benjamina Clump P8180010

May 2011
Ficus Benjamina Clump Pictur15

Todd
DreadyKGB
DreadyKGB

Back to top Go down

Ficus Benjamina Clump Empty Ficus benjamina clump

Post  bonsaisr Sun May 22, 2011 3:17 am

It's coming along, but
1. Grow it in full sun all summer to get proper density and leaf size. Watch for sunburn at first.
2. Pinch, pinch, pinch to get better ramification, backbudding, & leaf reduction.
3. I think you have 6 trunks. Plan on 5 or 7. Don't necessarily lose that little one. The trunks should be different thicknesses and different heights.
Iris

Last edited by bonsaisr on Sun May 22, 2011 3:21 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Add another comment.)
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Ficus Benjamina Clump Empty Re: Ficus Benjamina Clump

Post  DreadyKGB Sun May 22, 2011 4:06 am

Iris,
Thanks, it does go outside all summer in full sun. Last year I did a partial defoliation twice during the season and it helped reduce the leaf size but it doesn't seem to want to back bud much. I planned to pinch out all the terminal buds in a month or so hoping to push energy back along the branches.

It doe have 6 trunks. It had 7 previously but I cut one out to open it up some. I did root the cut out trunk so maybe I could add it back in later in a better position. I know that odd numbers tend to look better so I will think about that for the future. I was also going to develop the smallest trunk more. We'll see where it goes.

Todd
DreadyKGB
DreadyKGB

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Sun May 22, 2011 4:28 pm

Thanks, it does go outside all summer in full sun. Last year I did a
partial defoliation twice during the season and it helped reduce the
leaf size but it doesn't seem to want to back bud much.

While I do like the composition, I think that just goes to show that a Ficus benjamina (or others of its large-leaved, glossy-leaved ilk <--- scientific term, sorry) isn't really the best bonsai subject.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  DreadyKGB Sun May 22, 2011 9:52 pm

Jim,
I agree, but being one of my first surviving bonsai subjects I have an affinity for it. This one is some sport of the benjamina although I'm not sure which. I would go for other varieties of ficus if I actually wanted others. I have salicaria and microcarpa which both are much better subjects.

Todd
DreadyKGB
DreadyKGB

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down