Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SAD NEWS FOR THE BONSAI WORLD

+12
Rob Kempinski
AlainK
Robert J. Baran
John Quinn
Robert Steven
Kev Bailey
stavros
jrodriguez
EdMerc
kauaibonsai
Sam Ogranaja
William N. Valavanis
16 posters

Go down

SAD NEWS FOR THE BONSAI WORLD Empty SAD NEWS FOR THE BONSAI WORLD

Post  William N. Valavanis Thu May 19, 2011 1:38 pm

I just heard that Daizo Iwasaki passed away on Sunday. He spent his life sharing his love and passion of bonsai with the entire bonsai community. Takasago-an Bonsai Garden, his home and collection of bonsai was truly the most spectacular garden in the world. Although Mr. Iwasaki was elderly he was still active with bonsai activities and traveled throughout the world promoting and supporting the hobby he was so passionate about.

All of Mr. Iwasaki's bonsai are very beautiful and reflected the love he gave to them. The world bonsai community has just lost one of our most active, sincere and generous members who made an impact and has left a hole which nobody can fill. Mr. Iwasaki spent his life promoting bonsai and assembled the finest collection in the world. His wife, Mrs. Naemi Iwasaki was also interested in bonsai and had a very good eye as well. She accompanied him during his many travels, taking excellent care of him as they both traveled throughout the world promoting bonsai.

I will always cherish and remember my many visits to Takasago-an where both Mr. and Mrs. Naemi Iwasaki made my group feel welcome.

Mr. Iwasaki will be missed however never forgotten for his generosity and love of bonsai. May his memory be eternal.

William N. Valavanis

A few photos follow from the six page article on him appearing in the 2011/NO. 1 issue of International BONSAI.

SAD NEWS FOR THE BONSAI WORLD Takasa10
TAKASAGO-AN BONSAI GARDEN

SAD NEWS FOR THE BONSAI WORLD Entran10
ENTRANCE

SAD NEWS FOR THE BONSAI WORLD Japane10
JAPANESE RED PINE

SAD NEWS FOR THE BONSAI WORLD Bonsai10
BONSAI COLLECTION

SAD NEWS FOR THE BONSAI WORLD Shimpa10
SHIMPAKU

SAD NEWS FOR THE BONSAI WORLD Iwasak10
DAIZO IWASAKI

Last edited by William N. Valavanis on Sun May 22, 2011 2:52 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Adding Mrs. Iwasaki's name)
William N. Valavanis
William N. Valavanis

Back to top Go down

SAD NEWS FOR THE BONSAI WORLD Empty Re: SAD NEWS FOR THE BONSAI WORLD

Post  Sam Ogranaja Thu May 19, 2011 2:01 pm

That is very sad indeed. I was just looking at his garden pictures last night on Morten's website. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends.

Thank you for letting us know Bill.
Sam
Sam Ogranaja
Sam Ogranaja

Back to top Go down

Post  kauaibonsai Thu May 19, 2011 5:11 pm

a sad day indeed. mr iwasaki's garden has to be one of the finest on the planet, which he shared happily with so many. in fact when we visited, we met pius notter's son, who was winding up a stay with mr iwasaki.

best wishes to mrs. iwasaki and the children

sam

kauaibonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  EdMerc Thu May 19, 2011 6:02 pm

One can only hope that his garden remains intact.

My condolences to the family.
EdMerc
EdMerc

Back to top Go down

Post  jrodriguez Thu May 19, 2011 6:55 pm

Bill,

I have no words to express my sadness. Mr. Iwasaki was a friend, a ture gentleman and THE bonsai embassador to the world. Whenever one asked him who did he think was number one in the world of bonsai, he always replied, "everybody!".

Again, my deepest condolences to his wife Keiko (his translator) and the World Bonsai Community.

Warm regards,

Jose Luis
jrodriguez
jrodriguez

Back to top Go down

Post  stavros Thu May 19, 2011 7:10 pm

the bonsai world will be poorer without him
let us hope that his spectacular garden will remain as a reminder of his passion and personality....

stavros

Back to top Go down

Post  Kev Bailey Thu May 19, 2011 7:27 pm

Very sad news. I have long admired his collection from afar and wished to visit, one day. I too hope that his trees and garden can be maintained, in his memory. My condolences to his relatives.
Kev Bailey
Kev Bailey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Robert Steven Sat May 21, 2011 1:57 am

Indeed a sad news..indeed a big lost for bonsai world.
He always remind me his big smile everytime I called him Iwasaki-kun instead of Iwasaki-san..an intimate calling to a boy because he always call himself a baby. He was always trully young in his age..mind and spirit....

My deepest condolences....
Robert Steven
Robert Steven

Back to top Go down

Post  John Quinn Sat May 21, 2011 2:51 am

Thank you for your thoughtful post and pictures, Bill. I am sorry I never got to his garden but was fortunate to meet him once.
John Quinn
John Quinn

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat May 21, 2011 8:24 am

This news shocked me this morning, Iwasaki-san was indeed a great friend to the world of Bonsai. I first met Iwasaki-san in Munich and talked at length about Bonsai in England, Iwasaki-san said he wanted to come to England and in particular my garden. When I said my garden was quite small and not anything like his, he laughed and asked "it has bonsai yes?" then he would like to come. My thought are with his wife and constant companion Keiko.

Back to top Go down

Post  Robert J. Baran Sat May 21, 2011 8:35 pm

Please see our initial listing for Iwasaki-san at May 15 (a very busy day) http://www.phoenixbonsai.com/Days/DaysMayb.html . Any additions to this?

Robert
Robert J. Baran
Robert J. Baran

Back to top Go down

Post  AlainK Sun May 22, 2011 3:07 am

The end of an era ?...

The "Renaissance", both in its artistic and intellectual aspects, was made possible thanks to philantropist patrons whose fortune sustained artists that would have otherwise been unable to practise their art.

In these times of financial crisis will there still be millionaires like him willing to indulge in a very expensive cutural pastime like bonsaï ?...

Actually, I'm quite hopeful for the future. When one has wealth and power, they can invest in something that will survive them, and this is a very humane stance.

By sharing what he had gathered in his 94 years of life, Daizo Iwasaki as a single individual has indeed achieved something that we all hope will be pursued by many.
AlainK
AlainK

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue May 24, 2011 6:39 am

It is sad news. It was planned to visit Iwasaki in July. He was a great personality and will be missed much.

Regards
Morten

SAD NEWS FOR THE BONSAI WORLD Tekst-11

SAD NEWS FOR THE BONSAI WORLD Dsc02810

SAD NEWS FOR THE BONSAI WORLD Dsc02811

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Kempinski Thu May 26, 2011 1:40 pm

I'm so sorry to hear this. He was an amazing man and in his life accomplished many different things. The bonsai world lost a major supporter and he will be sincerely missed.

SAD NEWS FOR THE BONSAI WORLD Bci_pr11
Rob Kempinski
Rob Kempinski

Back to top Go down

Post  Ed Trout Fri May 27, 2011 12:08 am

This is sad news indeed,

Although I never met Mr. Iwasaki, I feel the loss of a friend. Every year, for the past 10 years or so, Tina & I would get a Christmas card from Daizo & Naemi. I'm sure they sent this card to many people around the world, but we were honored to be included. It was a beautiful card, always with photos of his fabulous garden & bonsai. And usually the card included an autumn colored Japanese maple leaf pressed between the paper. I have all of them, and will cherish them from friends I've never met. One of the items on my Bucket List is to someday visit Japan, and I had hoped to personally thank Mr Iwasaki for his kindness. May he rest in peace knowing how much joy he spread around the world thru the art of bonsai.

Ed Trout

Ed Trout

Back to top Go down

Post  dorothy7774 Fri May 27, 2011 2:04 am

My deepest condolences to his wife, family and friends. I talked to Mr Iwasaki in Puerto Rico, or I should say I was honored being asked to talk to sir . For some reason I don't recall he wanted to give me one of his treasured books. He was out of books for the moment, gave me his business card (and had my name written down in his little booklet, can you believe it) to pick up the book later. I was too embarassed to do so, but I am keeping his card in a special place of my office. May Mr Iwasaki rest in peace.

-dorothy schmitz
dorothy7774
dorothy7774

Back to top Go down

Post  Walter Pall Fri May 27, 2011 4:55 am

At the Gingko Award in 2005 I had the great pleasure to recieve the famous book and one of the awards from Mr. Iwasaki. Here Mr. Iwasaki with David and me. A great man who did enormous things for bonsai. He sponsored some events in Munich, Germany and we were very grateful for that. R.I.P.

SAD NEWS FOR THE BONSAI WORLD Dsc_0910
Walter Pall
Walter Pall

Back to top Go down

Post  Budi Sulistyo Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:21 pm

Daizo Iwasaki - san was just like a father for me. It was really shocking when Jose Luis Rodriguez from Puerto Rico informed me of his passing away when I was in Cyprus. His last wish was making Takamatsu ASPAC as a great event in Japan. Let us pray for his soul and fulfill his wish by attending the Takamatsu ASPAC on November.
My deepest condolence for Naemi Iwasaki - san, Takamatsu ASPAC and all bonsai lovers in the world.
SAD NEWS FOR THE BONSAI WORLD With_i10

A sweet memory in Mysore India some three years ago
Budi Sulistyo
Budi Sulistyo

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down