Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I don't know the problem...

4 posters

Go down

I don't know the problem... Empty I don't know the problem...

Post  NemusStipes Sat May 14, 2011 12:53 am

I've had this tree for a decent amount of time. It was doing nice when it first came out of dormancy, a birght green color on the leaves. Just the other day everything turned yellow. I have a few ideas of what it could be.
1. Under watering. I missed a day, but I don't think it would be this bad
2. It's Root bound. I've never re-potted it, but I did get it this winter. I have no idea what the roots are like
3. Disease. It was fine until the land-scapers came and cut the bush next to it. The bush has been diseased (black spot fungus) for the past 6 years but my parents don't care to fix it and it still looks pretty. Well, a bunch of the leaves fell onto my plant and they didn't take the cuttings off, then decided to be nice and water it, pushing the disease into the soil. I don't know if this is possible.... That's why I came and asked for advice.

The tree is a Japanese Cedar.
NemusStipes
NemusStipes

Back to top Go down

I don't know the problem... Empty Re: I don't know the problem...

Post  Billy M. Rhodes Sat May 14, 2011 1:04 am

More likely overwatering. I not sure of the exact species of Japanese cedar, but in New jersey it is probably just waking up from winter and it still doesn't need much water. Based upon the symptoms you descriibe I would think root rot. You could remove from the pot and check the roots. My bet is that they are rotted.
Billy M. Rhodes
Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

Post  Billy M. Rhodes Sat May 14, 2011 1:09 am

Billy M. Rhodes
Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat May 14, 2011 1:22 am

Congratulations on receiving an answer to your question.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat May 14, 2011 1:25 am

man on the mountain wrote:Congratulations on receiving an answer to your question.

? Confused

Back to top Go down

Post  NemusStipes Sat May 14, 2011 1:26 am

Thank you Mr. Rhodes. Now I have two trees in desperate need of repotting. *sigh* Guess this weekend will be dedicated to them.
NemusStipes
NemusStipes

Back to top Go down

Post  handy mick Sat May 14, 2011 7:54 am

Such nice mannors

Mick

handy mick

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Sat May 14, 2011 3:48 pm

man on the mountain wrote:Congratulations on receiving an answer to your question.

Sarcasm, I suspect, so once again I extol people to have patience when you ask a question here. Not everybody knows the answer to every question about every species (tho a few seem to think they do ). AND not everybody is on line all day every day. So, there can be a gap while you wait for the right person to stumble upon your question.

Unless, of course, you would be happy with just ANY answer -- which could be dangerus.

And, you did get a good answer. Or, at least I'm pretty sure you did. I don't know enough about the species -- which is why I didn't answer.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  NemusStipes Sat May 14, 2011 8:00 pm

Hey, I just took it out of it's pot and sure enough, all black. I cut off one inch from the bottom (It's in a 7 or 8 inch deep pot) and still black. I've run water through it and it's just one solid root mass.
I think it still has enough life in it for there to be hope, but I have a question:
Should I plant it in the back yard?
My parents just put in a retaining wall so if I get there premision I could put it there. What do you all think?

Thanks!
~NS

Edit: Also, it has been out of dormacy for three weeks or so. I don't know if that makes any difference.
NemusStipes
NemusStipes

Back to top Go down

Post  Billy M. Rhodes Sat May 14, 2011 8:54 pm

I have killed a number of these with overwatering.

But, I don't think they are normally decidious so if it had no leaves/needles it was probably already dead.

A plant will sometime put out a dying flush of growth from stored energy.

You can scratch the bark near the base and if you see green there is home, otherwise!
Billy M. Rhodes
Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down