Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My new Conifer

5 posters

Go down

My new Conifer Empty My new Conifer

Post  Storm Sun May 17, 2009 12:25 pm

Hello there! I recently bought a Conifer at a grocery shop.. The price were only at about 10$.. I couldnt resist!
It looked like a small bush, branches close together and all of them standing upwards. It didnt look very nice.. So I bought it just for a fun project.. I didnt take any pictures because I dont have a decent camera. I just borrowed my gf's camera so I could show you some from the new state it is in. As you can see, I have done some major trimming (possibly a bad idea at this time of year) and cut the height down with about 7 inches. I also put it into a pot. The pot you see is from an old bonsai I had that didnt survive.. I cut the roots down since it was in a deep household pot. Im gonna buy a new round pot when I find one I want. It is now standing outside. So, the thing is that I was just looking for some advice for what I can do with the tree in the future, and any comments on the trees shape as it is Wink

And btw, dont comment the wiring, I know im doing a bad job Razz

My new Conifer Conife10

Last edited by Storm on Sun May 17, 2009 12:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Storm
Storm

Back to top Go down

My new Conifer Empty Re: My new Conifer

Post  Storm Sun May 17, 2009 12:27 pm

My new Conifer Conife11
Storm
Storm

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Sun May 17, 2009 1:14 pm

Looks like you did a good job. Only time will tell if it will adapt to haveing top AND roots cut at the same time -- especially if you cut away moe than half of the root mass.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Storm Sun May 17, 2009 7:16 pm

Thanks Jim. I cut away way too much of the roots, but if it dies, I have atleast learned a lesson.
I hope it survives. I just hope the weather dont switch too much. Should the tree stand in more or less full sun outside?
Storm
Storm

Back to top Go down

My new Conifer Empty re: My New Conifer

Post  bonsaistud Mon May 18, 2009 10:02 am

G'day Storm...

"...more or less full sun outside?...".

Check the temp at the spot where you would put your bonsai...thermometer in the sun. If the temp at the heat of the day is NOT OVER about 21C/70F, full sun should be OK.

Pat
bonsaistud
bonsaistud

Back to top Go down

Post  Alan Walker Mon May 18, 2009 5:44 pm

bonsaistud wrote:G'day Storm...
"...more or less full sun outside?...".
Check the temp at the spot where you would put your bonsai...thermometer in the sun. If the temp at the heat of the day is NOT OVER about 21C/70F, full sun should be OK.
Pat
Where I live in Louisiana, that would be almost never! High temperatures can be a problem, but 70 deg. F is way too conservative. Consistent temperatures over 92 deg. F will induce dormancy, though.
Alan Walker
Alan Walker

Back to top Go down

My new Conifer Empty My New Conifer

Post  bonsaistud Tue May 19, 2009 2:38 am

"...Where I live in Louisiana...70 deg. F is way too conservative...".

You got that right Alan, "...Where I live..." is the key. 92F in the desert would render a baked bonsai. I would rather be "...way too conservative..." than to hand Storm a baked bonsai.

I do tend to be conservative, by the way...

Pat
bonsaistud
bonsaistud

Back to top Go down

Post  Storm Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:34 pm

Update: My conifer had about 60% of the root mass cut. I put it into a pot and cut away alott from the top, and trimmed every branch.
I was then so stupid to put it out in full sun most of the time, so it got a bit baked..

My new Conifer Conife12

But then I put it into more shade. It has now some morning sun untill about 12.30 or so, and shade the rest of the day. If its a bit colder I move it to more sun that day. I was thinking it would just die, but it is getting some more shoots!

My new Conifer Conife13

I think the tree will be just fine Wink
Storm
Storm

Back to top Go down

Post  Billy M. Rhodes Sun Jun 14, 2009 7:08 pm

It looks like you used sphagnum moos on the surface to retain moisture. Depending upon the climate and your watering practices, this might keep the roots too wet and result in root rot.
Billy M. Rhodes
Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

Post  Storm Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:10 pm

Thanks for the tip, its actually bark from the pot from when I bought the tree.
Storm
Storm

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down