Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Korean Hornbeam not Leafing

5 posters

Go down

Korean Hornbeam not Leafing Empty Korean Hornbeam not Leafing

Post  themindmustlearn Mon May 02, 2011 2:52 am

Hello to All,

I just joined this site. I was given a Korean Hornbeam in December as a gift. It is 5 years old and in a Bonsai pot. It was in a dormant state when given to me. It will not leaf and I don't know what to do. I kept in indoors in a dark basement for 3 months watering 2x/week, then reintroduced to indirect light for 1 month watering in the same frequency, and put it outdoors in the sun watering every other day. I live in the mid-Atlantic area. The trunk is firm, not dessicated. Today, I snipped two branches to ensure it was alive and YES it is...green color within. Any advice on how to get this wonderfully shaped tree to leaf would be very appreciated. It was a gift from a great friend. Thank you!.

themindmustlearn

Back to top Go down

Korean Hornbeam not Leafing Empty Korean hornbeam Not Leafing

Post  bonsaisr Mon May 02, 2011 3:13 am

How cold was the basement? Why did you keep watering it? It probably did not get a proper dormancy. Keep it in the sun. Water when it is somewhat dry, not on a schedule. Do you have any other bonsai?
Iris
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Korean Hornbeam not Leafing Empty Re: Korean Hornbeam not Leafing

Post  RKatzin Mon May 02, 2011 3:20 am

Patience, some trees take longer. My hornbeams have not leafed out yet either, or my Lindens or Pin Oaks. You should see leaf buds and you should be able to tell if they are alive or not. As long as the leaf buds are still green, Patience. If they are hard and dark they are done for.
RKatzin
RKatzin

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Mon May 02, 2011 2:18 pm

I'm afriad I don't understand why it was ever kept indoors in the first place. That probably set it way back. Dormancy -- start and end -- is set in part by length of day. Indoors it would have been totally discombobulated.

Put it in full sun. Water ONLY when it gets dry. Hope. It probably will fine, but next year, KEEP IT OUTSIDE!
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Korean Hornbeam not Leafing Empty Thank you...

Post  themindmustlearn Tue May 03, 2011 3:04 am

I really appreciate the insights. In response to some questions in the feedback:
-yes the buds are green within (thankfully)
-I brought it indoors, inducing confusion to the tree apparently, because i thought the roots would freeze/thaw too quickly in the bonsai pot if left outdoors and stress/kill the tree
-no, I have no other bonsai

I will take your suggestions to heart.

themindmustlearn

Back to top Go down

Korean Hornbeam not Leafing Empty Korean hornbeam Not Leafing

Post  bonsaisr Tue May 03, 2011 3:37 pm

themindmustlearn wrote:
-I brought it indoors, inducing confusion to the tree apparently, because i thought the roots would freeze/thaw too quickly in the bonsai pot if left outdoors and stress/kill the tree
-no, I have no other bonsai
You are in bonsai hog heaven. Visit the National Bonsai & Penjing Museum and the local bonsai club. Get a couple more bonsai.
Korean hornbeam, Carpinus turczaninowii, is hardy to Zone 7, where you are. Next winter, bury the pot outdoors in the ground in a sheltered location. You can put a rose cone over it for extra protection.
Iris
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Korean Hornbeam not Leafing Empty Potomac Bonsai Festival

Post  MrFancyPlants Tue May 03, 2011 4:22 pm

bonsaisr wrote:
You are in bonsai hog heaven. Visit the National Bonsai & Penjing Museum and the local bonsai club. Get a couple more bonsai.
Korean hornbeam, Carpinus turczaninowii, is hardy to Zone 7, where you are. Next winter, bury the pot outdoors in the ground in a sheltered location. You can put a rose cone over it for extra protection.
Iris

And don't forget:
Potomac Bonsai Festival
May 6, 7 & 8, 9:00 am – 5:00 pm
National Bonsai & Penjing Museum
Arboretum Grounds

Maybe I'll see you there,
David
MrFancyPlants
MrFancyPlants

Back to top Go down