Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dumped Tree... Need help with ID.

4 posters

Go down

Dumped Tree... Need help with ID. Empty Dumped Tree... Need help with ID.

Post  Liserd Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:42 pm

Hello all

This tree was lifted by a mechanical digger in a new road constructuion site near my home and was left for dead by the road side.
The machine actually did a very good job, and the root-ball was almost intact.
The tree still had no leafs by the time i brought it home about a month ago.

The tree started to show some buds almost imediatly and is now starting really to grow.
I think it´s a Fraxinus but i´m not really sure.
Can someone help me with the ID.

Dumped Tree... Need help with ID. Dsc0244w

Dumped Tree... Need help with ID. Dsc0245w

Dumped Tree... Need help with ID. Dsc0246l

Dumped Tree... Need help with ID. Dsc0247n

Dumped Tree... Need help with ID. Dsc0248sf

Greetings
Mário

Liserd

Back to top Go down

Dumped Tree... Need help with ID. Empty Re: Dumped Tree... Need help with ID.

Post  RKatzin Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:13 pm

Hi Mario, it's hard to tell from the leaves shown. In a few days when they open fully will be better. Ash has either a compound pinnate leaf or a few species have simple leaves. Those leaves look palmate at this point (like a maple). Ash leaf has a long skinny center stem with opposite leaves. I'm guessing at this point, but it looks like a silver maple.
RKatzin
RKatzin

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:44 am

those look Mapley, to me as well, we'll know in a few days.

Back to top Go down

Post  Ryan Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:52 am

Do Maple trees grow in Portugal??

Ryan

Back to top Go down

Dumped Tree... Need help with ID. Empty Maples in Portugal

Post  RKatzin Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:29 pm

Two that might be found growing natural are A.campestre and the Montpellier maple. Others will grow there if introduced. This info from google search.
RKatzin
RKatzin

Back to top Go down

Post  AlainK Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:41 pm

I would say fraxinus (Ash tree) because of the colour and texture of the trunk. Also, young leaves have this reddish colour.

And I'd say a dog for the skull in the pot : not good for bonsaï Very Happy
AlainK
AlainK

Back to top Go down

Post  Liserd Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:39 pm

Hello all

Thanks for the replys.
Maples don´t grow naturally in Portugal. At least not in my area. But there are a lot of types that were introduced.
But, the road is being constructed by a small abbandoned park, so i guess that many of those trees were actually planted by someone at some time.

I´ve first said Fraxinus, because there were a lot of them in the area where the tree was dumped, but i´ve passed again today to check on the trees that remained planted and i´ve spotted some Maple type trees, they have light green medium size leafs and the older trees have a more striped type bark. Very similar to Silver Maple.

Guess i´ve have to wait and see anyway i´m happy she´s alive... Very Happy Very Happy

Greetings
Mário

Liserd

Back to top Go down

Post  RKatzin Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:57 pm

If the leaf opens into a hand shape it's likely a maple. If the leaf extends on a long stem with smaller leaves on the sides it's a compound leaf and that would be an ash. True my ash are putting out red tipped leaves, but so are the maples. I've had pieces like this sprout out a bunch of new growth in spring only to go belly up when the weather warmed. My fault mostly for not knowing to give them protection until they're growing strongly on new roots again. This spring flush is from stored energy in the trunk of the tree and can get the tree up and going again as long as not too much of a load is put on them. It's like the trees last hoorah and it is all in on this attempt at revival so it will need a little help getting on its feet.
RKatzin
RKatzin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down