Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Buttonwood Question

+2
Billy M. Rhodes
bonsaisr
6 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Buttonwood Question - Page 2 Empty Re: Buttonwood Question

Post  Mitch Thomas Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:24 am

Thanks Iris

Mitch

Mitch Thomas

Back to top Go down

Buttonwood Question - Page 2 Empty Buttonwood Question

Post  bonsaisr Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:36 pm

Here is the one they just sent me. It should arrive Friday. They were very kind & patient in helping me pick one out in my price range with some deadwood to play with. I'm not sure what I am going to do with that straight piece sticking up. That may be the deadwood. I can spend the winter chasing the branches back to be more compact.
Iris

Buttonwood Question - Page 2 Monday10
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Post  Norma Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:02 pm

Iris,

Looks like a little winner!! The dead wood is also evident in the nebari .....cool!!

When I first had my one and only buttonwood, it survived the first winter under florescent lights and a seedling heating pad.
It also looks as though your buttonwood won't require daily watering, if the soil is as heavy with organics as it looks. Did you ask about the soil components?

Happy growing , Iris.

Norma
Norma
Norma

Back to top Go down

Post  bonsaisr Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:52 pm

Here is the tree at present. It came with a lot of long gangly arms, but I cut back very little, just enough for it to fit in the best-lit shelf. Now it is showing some new growth, so I will start gradually cutting back. As I mentioned before, a shohin size buttonwood will grow branches & leaves very well under lights.
The main styling question is how to soften that straight piece of deadwood sticking up. I asked Bill, but his answer was "You can't; it's a male tree." Rolling Eyes Anybody got a different answer? I thought perhaps carving it to accentuate the slight curve.
I am watering it every 2-3 days. It is in nursery soil, but rather fluffy. I gave everything a bit of Osmocote, & they are fed weekly.
Front first:

Buttonwood Question - Page 2 Button10

Buttonwood Question - Page 2 Back_v10

Iris
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Post  drgonzo Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:05 am

Iris,

I kinda like the back as a front, I would then style my tree with the dead wood in the back being peeked at through the foliage clouds.
just a thought..It looks like a nice piece to start with for Shohin and very healthy too.

Do you think Bill was being facetious?

BTW did you get my clippings yet?
-Jay
drgonzo
drgonzo

Back to top Go down

Post  bonsaisr Sat Oct 29, 2011 3:23 am

drgonzo wrote:I kinda like the back as a front, I would then style my tree with the dead wood in the back being peeked at through the foliage clouds.
I'll know better when I get the branches tamed back.

drgonzo wrote:
Do you think Bill was being facetious?
Presumably. Some people see phallic symbols everywhere. Wink There is a slight curve in the driftwood which I think can be emphasized, so the dead trunk is pointing more at the rest of the tree, not up in the air.
drgonzo wrote:
BTW did you get my clippings yet?
-Jay
I got them Wednesday & put them in the refrigerator. I sent you a PM.
Iris
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2