Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ID Please...

5 posters

Go down

ID Please... Empty ID Please...

Post  NemusStipes Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:36 am

Hello bonsai community!!!

I dug a tree up from my back yard two summers ago and put it into a pot. That was before I knew what bonsai was. Anywhoo, I potted it up and it's been left on the porch ever since. I had always assumed it was a Leland Cypress because it sprouted the year after we planted some Leland Cypress' in the back yard. Now that I looked at it again I realized how mistaken I was. I think it is a juniper. Still, because I have never successfully IDed a plant without help I am asking for your opinions.

Juvenile Foliage:
ID Please... Es3ul4

Adult Foliage:
ID Please... Axzg5y

Trunk:
ID Please... Aaavzt

Entire Tree:
ID Please... 210ek4o

The reason for the die-back in the second foliage is because when I potted it the soil line is only 1/3 of the way up the pot so almost all the foliage inside (which is what the pic is of) has died. ):

NemusStipes
NemusStipes

Back to top Go down

ID Please... Empty ID Please...

Post  Guest Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:52 am

Looks like a Juniper to me but there are many different types and some are very similar.

Back to top Go down

ID Please... Empty Re: ID Please...

Post  Randy_Davis Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:20 am

It's definately a juniper! what's it's growth pattern? upright, low and spreading???? From a first blush I'd say it's either J. Chinensis "fomenia" or J. communis but alot depends on it's growth pattern. If it actually came up from seed, I'd just say it's J. chinensis.

Randy
Randy_Davis
Randy_Davis

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Moody Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:49 am

I would guess if it just popped up, its a J. Virginiana (Eastern Red Cedar). I know that around here they are almost weeds, they grow anywhere and everywhere. They are found a lot along fences, thanks to birds eating the berries and then leaving the seeds in their "presents".
Mr. Moody
Mr. Moody

Back to top Go down

Post  Randy_Davis Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:53 am

Mr. Moody wrote:I would guess if it just popped up, its a J. Virginiana (Eastern Red Cedar). I know that around here they are almost weeds, they grow anywhere and everywhere. They are found a lot along fences, thanks to birds eating the berries and then leaving the seeds in their "presents".

Your probably right on that Mr. Moody! They come up like weeds here in Kentucky too. They are strongly upright in form when they are young.

Randy
Randy_Davis
Randy_Davis

Back to top Go down

ID Please... Empty I felt the need to write something here. :)

Post  NemusStipes Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:59 am

To the popping up like weeds comment: I've never seen one here before... And I've been looking lately. However, that does make sense considering there is a highway next-door. Yes, it is upright and twin trunk.

Another random question, can someone be allergic to J. Virginiana? When I lifted the lower foliage it gave my hand a red rash. It could have just been the prickly foliage irritating my skin but I thought that I'd ask.
NemusStipes
NemusStipes

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Moody Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:54 am

I dont know about allergic, irritating deffinately. sometimes just looking at the foliage too hard can cause you to break out, haha.
Seriously though, the pollen does cause some people problems and to a lesser extent the wood can too.
Mr. Moody
Mr. Moody

Back to top Go down

Post  zooloo10 Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:55 am

its more likely the prickles, i had the same thing happen to me when i transplanted a Virginius of mine from the ground to a pot, the needles are as they are called needles, and theres a lot of them.

zooloo10

Back to top Go down

Post  Billy M. Rhodes Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:48 am

I would agree with both areas>

1. J. virginiana

2. rash caused by needles, sometimes outdoor. ground level plants get sprayed by cats, the brown areas of your plant might indicate this, the cat urine combined with the puncture of the needles could cause problems
Billy M. Rhodes
Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:12 am

It's a well known problem that some people are allergic to Junipers. Surgical gloves may be the answer.

Back to top Go down

Post  NemusStipes Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:43 pm

will baddeley wrote:It's a well known problem that some people are allergic to Junipers. Surgical gloves may be the answer.

I guess I'll have to go out and buy some latex free gloves, just to be safe. Surprised I'm allergic to latex.
NemusStipes
NemusStipes

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Moody Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:02 pm

Nemus, You can also use an OTC hydrocotizone creme to help with the itch and rash.
Mr. Moody
Mr. Moody

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum