Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My Australian Natives

+5
Peter Woosley
-Brent-
my nellie
sunip
newzealandteatree
9 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

My Australian Natives - Page 2 Empty Re: My Australian Natives

Post  Peter Woosley Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:39 am

Thanks CJ.
This one (Leptospermum petersonii) was collected from my back yard in December 2008.

Styled this year, 2011. I decided on the weeping style only after being inspired by Jun's post on his restyled weeping tree. (Thanks Jun).

My Australian Natives - Page 2 Img_0810

Lots more work to do yet but it seems to be responding very well to the treatment i have given it so far. Its all been pretty much guess work with regards to timing etc but so far so good.

Regards
Peter
Peter Woosley
Peter Woosley

Back to top Go down

Post  newzealandteatree Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:52 am

Peter, I had only one Leptospermum Petersonii or Lemon scented tea tree. As it did not flower after so many years, I have not really done any work on it. Has yours flower ? Thanks to u I now know that this variety of Leptospermum tolerate digging. Can u tell me how u did it.
The tree looks very healthy. Pls tell us how u treated it after digging. The trunk looks good. How big is it. As far as styling goes, it is a matter of personal preference. So far it looks OK. This tree has good potential.

Cheers n regards

CJ
newzealandteatree
newzealandteatree

Back to top Go down

Post  Peter Woosley Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:38 am

This is the tree in the ground in December 2008. It was cut down to about 90cm tall at this stage. It was quite roughly collected, i dug a trench around it about 150mm deep and about 30cm away from the base and pushed the tree over. It was then potted in straight diatomite in a big tub.

In the ground December 2008.
My Australian Natives - Page 2 Decemb10

Potted up, December 2008
My Australian Natives - Page 2 Decemb11

April 2009 new growth.
My Australian Natives - Page 2 April_10

February 2011, first styling after collection. The tree is about 60cm tall and the base is approximately 150mm across.
My Australian Natives - Page 2 Feb_2010

My Australian Natives - Page 2 Feb_2011

My Australian Natives - Page 2 Feb_2012

I certainly didnt do anything special with it CJ. It was placed in a shaded spot for several weeks after collection then introduced into the full sun in one hit with no problems.
I didnt prune it at all for the first 12 months, after that it was pruned to a managable size and nothing more. It was feed and watered in with the same program as the rest of my trees (non-natives). It hasnt flowered as yet but that would be, to be expected considering it was only recently styled and cut back to a bare trunk.
One thing i did do that was almost fatal, was sprayed it with lime sulphur last winter. BIG no no.....it dropped every leaf almost overnight. It came back okay but it was touch and go there for awhile. The growth is extremely vigorous, you can wire it but must watch it closely as it cuts into branches in no time. The root system on it is excellent, probably more of a by-product of my medium then the species though. Diatomite creates an amazing fibrous root system. Anyway CJ, i think thats about all i have learned from this one so far but i will update this if anything else springs to mind. Thanks for allowing me to post it in your thread CJ.
Regards
Peter.
Peter Woosley
Peter Woosley

Back to top Go down

Post  newzealandteatree Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:02 pm

Thanks for the info Peter. Keep us posted. I will be looking out for one of this to dig. So far indications are they are hardy.

Cheers n regards,

CJ

http://newzealandteatreebonsai.blogspot.com/
newzealandteatree
newzealandteatree

Back to top Go down

Post  Justin Hervey Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:00 pm

Hi CJ & Peter, hope you don't mind me jumping in here.
I have just collected what I'm pretty sure is a Green Honey Myrtle (Melaleuca diosmifolia), with great prospects I believe. Have either of you any experience with these?

My Australian Natives - Page 2 310

My Australian Natives - Page 2 410

My Australian Natives - Page 2 Aa10
Justin Hervey
Justin Hervey

Back to top Go down

Post  newzealandteatree Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:35 pm

Hi Justin, u r welcome to post on this thread. Sorry I have no experience with this type of paperbark. Your tree has good potential. Keep us posted on its' development.

Cheers,

CJ
http://newzealandteatreebonsai.blogspot.com
newzealandteatree
newzealandteatree

Back to top Go down

Post  Justin Hervey Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:43 am

Further update after a bit of a clean-up:
My Australian Natives - Page 2 311

The most likely final planting angle:
My Australian Natives - Page 2 411

Close up of the trunk:
My Australian Natives - Page 2 Img00310
Justin Hervey
Justin Hervey

Back to top Go down

My Australian Natives - Page 2 Empty Another NZ Tea Tree

Post  newzealandteatree Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:17 pm

This Leptospermun Scoparium has been blooming since late May. The bloom is peaking. So I photo it. This is the first time I photo this tree which I have been training over the last 12 years. It was kind of neglected until about 3 years ago when I decided to pay more attention to it.
Enjoy and Cheers. CJ
http://newzealandteatreebonsai.blogspot.com/
My Australian Natives - Page 2 Dsc00720
My Australian Natives - Page 2 Dsc00719
newzealandteatree
newzealandteatree

Back to top Go down

My Australian Natives - Page 2 Empty My Smallest Tea Tree Bonsai

Post  newzealandteatree Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:44 am

This is my smallest NZ Tea Tree bonsai in a self made pot.
Enjoy n cheers, CJ.

My Australian Natives - Page 2 Dsc00721
newzealandteatree
newzealandteatree

Back to top Go down

My Australian Natives - Page 2 Empty Blooming bottlebrush

Post  newzealandteatree Sun Oct 16, 2011 3:11 pm

This tree is in full bloom. The urge to capture this beautiful moment overcame the time constrain and challenge in bringing this giant (1m x 1.2m) by myself into my make-shift studio to photo. Anyway I did it and here it is. I hope u enjoy. Cheers, CJ.

My Australian Natives - Page 2 Dsc00810
newzealandteatree
newzealandteatree

Back to top Go down

Post  Youngwirth09 Sun Oct 16, 2011 3:52 pm

beautiful tree

Youngwirth09

Back to top Go down

Post  newzealandteatree Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:54 pm

Youngwirth09, thanks for the compliment.
This is just one of the more than a dozen that I am working on. Most of them in advance stage of development. I have some which are larger than this one. In the Ausbonsai forum someone ask to have a better look at the following bonsai which is almost complete. So I took a more decent photo. Thought I might as well post it here for those who are not member of the Ausbonsai forum to see.
Cheers, CJ.

My Australian Natives - Page 2 Dsc00811
newzealandteatree
newzealandteatree

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2