Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lonicera repot and progression...

5 posters

Go down

Lonicera repot and progression... Empty Lonicera repot and progression...

Post  DreadyKGB Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:42 pm

Hey all,
So I have repotted a lonicera that I collected last spring, this was in a thread under questions but thought I would start a new thread on the progression. Throughout last season it grew vigorously and upon removing it from the initial "pot" I was excited to find that it had completely filled the tub with roots. I was also surprised by the fact that last week with the roots and soil frozen solid the buds had begun to swell, today they are almost open. I hope that this new pot will help to control its growth some. Anyway here's the photos.

After collection March '10
Lonicera repot and progression... Lonice11

Early summer
Lonicera repot and progression... Lonice12

Late Summer
Lonicera repot and progression... P8180010

Today
Lonicera repot and progression... Pictur20

I have cut it back to an initial branch structure, although I will go back farther as more buds merge. The "shaping" of the branches was done with guy wires/ clip and grow. My biggest issue is that the root spread is too flat or 2D. I am interested thoughts and feedback/ criticism.

Todd

Last edited by DreadyKGB on Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:45 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Wrong photo)
DreadyKGB
DreadyKGB

Back to top Go down

Lonicera repot and progression... Empty Re: Lonicera repot and progression...

Post  jersanct Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:14 am

I really like how this one is developing - the branches have an unruly look to them that I enjoy quite a bit.

Personally, I don't think you need that long surface root trailing off to the right. Otherwise, carry on as you have been doing.

Thanks for sharing it - Chris
jersanct
jersanct

Back to top Go down

Post  DreadyKGB Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:14 am

Jersanct,
Thanks for the comments. It obviously has a ways to go but grows quite fast. The long root maintains a large portion of the fine roots on its underside, but I plan to shorten it back some over time. This root also has some much nicer rugged character that doesn't show in the picture. I also plan to carve the root some and improve the carving on the upper area.

Todd
DreadyKGB
DreadyKGB

Back to top Go down

Post  my nellie Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:11 am

Lots of carving work for you Todd!
It is good really!
my nellie
my nellie

Back to top Go down

Lonicera repot and progression... Empty an update....

Post  DreadyKGB Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:23 pm

Hey all,
Here's some summer pics of this tree. I have pruned and done some light wiring as needed. I have worked to repair some of the mistakes I made last season and not make any or at least as few as possible this year. I think I am starting to get a decent understanding of the training techniques with this species, but am always learning. I plan to reduce the branch structure back in early winter to create a better skeleton for next spring. Maybe some of the experienced wood carvers can help me with some direction on the deadwood. Ahem....calling Mr. Baddeley....Laughing. I had carved some of the upper area but was unsure where I wanted to go with it and so now have just used a wire brush dremel bit to remove the softer wood and follow a few bug holes through the wood. Feedback and suggestions always appreciated.

Lonicera repot and progression... July_210
Deadwood area
Lonicera repot and progression... July_211
DreadyKGB
DreadyKGB

Back to top Go down

Lonicera repot and progression... Empty lonicera repot and progression

Post  moyogijohn Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:31 pm

I really like this one!! you have done a good job with its styling..have you let it flower???? if so can you post a picture of it?? looks good take care john

moyogijohn

Back to top Go down

Post  DreadyKGB Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:02 pm

John,
Thanks. It still has a ways to go, but I'm getting better with it. I haven't had flowers on it yet due to removing 70% of the first flush of buds. It may be another season before I let it flower.

Todd
DreadyKGB
DreadyKGB

Back to top Go down

Lonicera repot and progression... Empty End of Summer Update...

Post  DreadyKGB Sat Sep 24, 2011 4:30 pm

Here's some photos from today. I still need to reduce the long root but I will do that next spring and carve it some. The dead area needs more work but its coming along.

Lonicera repot and progression... P9240110

Lonicera repot and progression... P9240111
DreadyKGB
DreadyKGB

Back to top Go down

Post  drgonzo Sat Sep 24, 2011 6:14 pm

Hi Todd

Have you ever gotten these guys to bud BETWEEN the nodes? The wild honeysuckle I'm working on seems very set in its pattern.
-Jay
drgonzo
drgonzo

Back to top Go down

Post  DreadyKGB Sat Sep 24, 2011 6:20 pm

Jay,
I haven't gotten budding between the nodes on the branches. On the trunk it seems to bud wherever it wants to. I have also noticed that if you trim the new shoots before they harden of the node length will stretch very noticeably. They also seem to bud around scars. I am still learning about this species and have a few others in the works.

Todd
DreadyKGB
DreadyKGB

Back to top Go down

Post  jersanct Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:30 am

Looking good, Todd - thanks for keeping us updated on its progress.

I can't tell from your photos if this is the dreaded Lonicera mackii, which is taking over the entire universe here in St. Louis and in many other places...but, if it is (or possibly even if it is similar), I have a warning: on my honeysuckles, I've noticed that the tree will abandon any branch I prune when it is dormant. It usually will send a new bud out from the base of the dead/abandoned branch in the spring--as you have mentioned, they have no problem budding from the trunk--but the branches I prune during dormancy die 100% of the time. I've only had success encouraging ramification by pruning branches during the growing season.

Chris
jersanct
jersanct

Back to top Go down

Post  drgonzo Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:50 pm

I try never to prune during dormancy because of things like this...on any tree...I have always found it best to let the tree at least wake up so it knows whats going on before I take pruners to it.

But this is definitely a good warning with regards to our honeysuckles thank you for that!
-Jay
drgonzo
drgonzo

Back to top Go down

Post  DreadyKGB Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:04 am

I believe this to be Lonicera Morrowii but am still not 100%. I think the Mackii grows around here as well which I haven't tried yet. I pruned this one back reasonably hard last fall after leaf drop and all the branches survived. I am planning to do the same later this fall. The nice thing that I have noticed is that branches will grow and thicken very quickly, so if I do kill a branch I can replace it in a season or two. This year I also completely removed the the strongest buds and left only the smallest. It seems to have reduced the node length, but I also repotted into a much smaller pot, so that could have helped also. I will know for sure next year when I test some theories on the other I have in training. The hardest thing I am finding is controlling the courseness of the growth. I am learning through trial and error with this species and am trying to keep good not for the future.

Todd
DreadyKGB
DreadyKGB

Back to top Go down

Post  my nellie Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:45 pm

drgonzo wrote:I try never to prune during dormancy because of things like this...on any tree...I have always found it best to let the tree at least wake up so it knows whats going on before I take pruners to it... ...
But Jay, there should be also considered what kind of tree one is pruning, shouldn't it?
I read that japanese maples/acer palmatum would rather be pruned during dormancy late summer or fall depending on location (when leaves have dropped) because otherwise if pruned early spring they bleed heavily. Is this right?
my nellie
my nellie

Back to top Go down

Post  drgonzo Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:43 pm

my nellie wrote:
drgonzo wrote:I try never to prune during dormancy because of things like this...on any tree...I have always found it best to let the tree at least wake up so it knows whats going on before I take pruners to it... ...
But Jay, there should be also considered what kind of tree one is pruning, shouldn't it?
I read that japanese maples/acer palmatum would rather be pruned during dormancy late summer or fall depending on location (when leaves have dropped) because otherwise if pruned early spring they bleed heavily. Is this right?

You know, I have read that too, and being a guy who cuts his own firewood I have learned from nature not to cut maples in early spring unless you want to get sprayed (literally) with sap. I pruned an azalea during dormancy once and the poor tree bled sap for a month before the leaves grew in. Maples I would think to hard prune in early fall. So yes indeed each tree species reacts differently to hard pruning but its also seasonally influenced as well.

I'm just starting with Maples this year so I haven't got too much experience with them yet. Need to learn how to keep them thriving first before I begin styling.
-Jay
drgonzo
drgonzo

Back to top Go down

Post  my nellie Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:43 am

drgonzo wrote: ... ... I'm just starting with Maples this year so I haven't got too much experience with them yet. Need to learn how to keep them thriving first before I begin styling.
I am at the same stage, too.
Thank you for taking the time to post your experience!
my nellie
my nellie

Back to top Go down

Post  DreadyKGB Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:06 pm

Hey All,
Just another update on this Honeysuckle. I let it flower this year so it is looking mangy, but it will be cut back soon. Comments and criticisms are welcome.

Todd

Lonicera repot and progression... P4200010

Lonicera repot and progression... P4200011
DreadyKGB
DreadyKGB

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down