Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Again something different Eucalyptus

+4
coh
Ravi Kiran
Randy_Davis
peterh
8 posters

Go down

Again something different Eucalyptus Empty Again something different Eucalyptus

Post  peterh Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:55 pm

Now Ive got the hang of posting photos I thought i'd post one of my Eucalypts.

This is Eucalyptus nicholii.

Again something different Eucalyptus Euc110

peterh

Back to top Go down

Again something different Eucalyptus Empty Re: Again something different Eucalyptus

Post  Randy_Davis Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:21 pm

Peter,

It's just fantastic to see some native Australian plant material here. I've always wanted to try your natives but they are so hard to find here in the Mid-western US. Your Eucalyptus nicholii is just wonderful! Great job!!! Would love to see more examples of your native plant material.

Randy
Randy_Davis
Randy_Davis

Back to top Go down

Again something different Eucalyptus Empty Re: Again something different Eucalyptus

Post  Ravi Kiran Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:38 am

Hi Peter,

Good to see someone else working on the same species.. Here is a pic of my tree of the same species taken in Sept 10. It is presently tinned, wired and repotted in the same pot. Doing quiet well and looking fairly better than in the pic below. Grown from nursery stock and about 18 inches in height and about 2 years in training. Hope I am not hijacking your page....
Again something different Eucalyptus P1012511

Regards
Ravi
Ravi Kiran
Ravi Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  peterh Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:20 am

Ravi,

With all due respect your tree looks like a Melaluca. Not sure what variety.

peter

peterh

Back to top Go down

Post  Ravi Kiran Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:12 pm

Not too sure Peter scratch but the leaves when crushed do smell like eucalyptus. Is there a Melaluca that smells like an eucalyptus?? If yes then it is probably a melaluca but then we have always called this one as the Oz eucalyptus... What say you??

Ravi
Ravi Kiran
Ravi Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  Randy_Davis Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:17 pm

peterh wrote:Ravi,

With all due respect your tree looks like a Melaluca. Not sure what variety.

peter

I agree with you peter, it certainly is a Melaleuca.

Randy

Last edited by Randy_Davis on Sat Mar 26, 2011 3:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Randy_Davis
Randy_Davis

Back to top Go down

Post  coh Sat Mar 26, 2011 3:05 pm

Peter, it's good to see a eucalyptus bonsai. How tall is this one? I've seen the eucalyptus groves in California (not sure what species), they are beautiful trees.

Randy, I know Forest Farm has a small selection of eucalyptus available, not trained for bonsai of course.

Chris
coh
coh

Back to top Go down

Post  Randy_Davis Sat Mar 26, 2011 3:20 pm

coh wrote: I've seen the eucalyptus groves in California (not sure what species), they are beautiful trees.

Randy, I know Forest Farm has a small selection of eucalyptus available, not trained for bonsai of course.

Chris

Chris,

Thanks for the information. They certainly have a nice selection of plant material there for sure. Now I have another source for my "want to test for bonsai" list.

The most common Eucalyptus groves in California are Eucalyptus globulus which are all over the state. large stately trees with as you say a beautiful outline and wonderful aroma.

Randy
Randy_Davis
Randy_Davis

Back to top Go down

Post  peterh Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:51 pm

Ravi,

As you are aware that a variety of Eucalyptus is used to extract oil. As so is the melaleuca ,although they call it tea tree oil. They both have similar smells.

The tree stands at 75cm ( 29.5 " )

Common name for the globulus is the Tasmanian Blue Gum. I tried to Bonsai one but had trouble with the leaf size and it eventually died. Probably due to leaving in the ground to long and then digging it up too late in the season.

Peter

peterh

Back to top Go down

Post  handy mick Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:19 am

Ravi, has your melaleuca flowered? At the moment it looks like a Malaleuca Clarot tops.

Mick

handy mick

Back to top Go down

Post  Ravi Kiran Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:01 pm

Hey Peter... thanks for the information... I stand corrected... Shall use the correct name for this tree going forward Very Happy ...

Mick.. it has flowered once or twice but definitely not profusely just a bunch here and there. The flowers were white and in small clusters....

Regards
Ravi
Ravi Kiran
Ravi Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  GerhardGerber Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:53 am

Hi (jack) Very Happy

I thought there were more Ausies active on BonsaiNut so I asked about Melaleuca there (hate double posting between the two best forums)...

Gonna copy & paste my question in a new thread here!

Cheers
Gerhard

GerhardGerber

Back to top Go down

Post  darky Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:25 am

Ravi does your tree get red to pink growing tips? if it does it is as, handy mick has suggested, Melaleuca linaifolia x claret tops.

There are 250 Melaleuca species and counting. Many are used for tea tree oil, also many are used in the perfume industry .

The Australian Aboriginals have for many centuries used them for tools weapons medicinal and cooking applications also.

There are many species also being used for Bonsai. AusBonsai .com has many on there site.
Cheers Darky

darky

Back to top Go down

Post  kcpoole Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:20 am

I love thsi tree Peter, Has to be one of the best eucs there is, but as has been mentioned, there are many more Natives in OZ currently being grown and developed as Bonsai.

A few links of some great trees here
Our own Aussie forum http://Ausbonsai.com
Australian Plants as Bonsai Study Group, http://anpsa.org.au/bonsai/Gallery.html
Canberra Bonsai Society recently held the 8th National Exhibition of Australian Native Plants as Bonsai -- The gallery from Last years show id here
http://www.cbs.org.au/index.php?option=com_rsgallery2&Itemid=51&gid=28

Enjoy

Ken

kcpoole

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down